Morvek the Learned
Born to a pair of Nunelander humans, Morvek was born within the borders of the human Sundown Sea Empire, of descent from multiple noble houses. Nuneland, though situated deep within the Rockmen's territory, had declared itself a part of the human empire, it was tensions over this area that lead to one of the major wars of the time. As a young man, Morvek joined an alchemist's guild after deserting from the army, he later stated that his superior officer was taking advantage of his position and giving commands that made little sense to the nigh-genius Morvek, and his desertion was by no means out of cowardice, as he had earlier served in the First Rom War.
There is no documented proof that Morvek ever served in this war, and it was quite probable that he wasn't even of age by the time the war ended. No matter the true situation, Morvek was dishonorably discharged and barely avoided execution, only his father's intervention saving him. Becoming an alchemist, Morvek began study of Vitalis magic. Though unable to manipulate it himself, he was able to note a few key characteristics of the form, creating five laws based on his findings.
1. Vitalis can only be manipulated by those who do not wish to cause harm through its use. (This was later proven to be false)
2. Vitalis can not be used in a period of strong emotional distress, and at its strongest when the user is completely indifferent to all external influences.
3. Vitalis is deeply linked to the user's soul, and if the user lacks a soul, it will not work.
4. Vitalis can be strengthened through the use of other magics continuously both prior to and during its use.
5. Vitalis is smothered by armor or other garment, and at it's strongest when used in combination with tattoos made using an ink derived from blood.
These laws, when published, lead to mass hysteria amongst the people of the Empire, and not three years after he wrote the laws, Morvek was imprisoned by the Empire.