Hidden 2 mos ago 2 mos ago Post by Arkitekt
Raw
GM
Avatar of Arkitekt

Arkitekt Weaver of Webs, Collector of Souls

Member Seen 13 hrs ago

10:55AM
City of Guillan,
By the market near the docks.


"Right then. let's get a move on, shall we?" Nora said, giving the mule's reins a hefty yank.

The mule jerked his head against Nora's prompt for it to move, but finally succumbed to her will once she applied a second jerk of the reins, and the cart began to slowly lurch forward. Y'Vanna had barely managed to get her stuff on the cart before it did, nearly spilling the crate of cat's eye. Y'Vana's temper flared slightly, her nostrils flared and brow furrowed... had that been the alchemist's fire it could've been a catastrophe.

"Easy. will ye..?" she said, pushing the crates closer to the center of the cart to avoid mishap.

"We've wasted enough time V, we need to get going." Nora said, not bothering to make eye contact and firmly focused on the path ahead. "And I've certainly not the time to dealing your shit either. Now let's keep ourselves on the task a' fore us, eh?"

"All's I was saying was you need to be a bit more careful.. had that been the alchemist's flame we could've had a serious iss-" Y'Vanna was cut short as Nora turned to her and snapped back.

"Look, we need to make that ship or Vargas is going to have our heads for it." Nora said firmly, grabbing a healthy handful of her cloak and drawing her in close to her face as she continued, "You need to remember that this is just my job, but you lot are in his pocket and it'll be far worse on your backs than will be on mine. One thing Lord Vargas does not fuck around about is his coin.. and I'm sure you don't even need to be reminded of that." Nora's words were filled will anger and frustration, but she had managed to her voice down so that they didn't cause too much of a scene. It was still mid festival, and while the patrons of the city were quite wild and outrageous, they were not as rambunctious in the earlier hours of the morning, save for a few pockets of "the all-nighter's crowd", so she did her best to keep it down as best she could but Y'Vanna was testing her limits.
Nora let loose of her garments and Y'Vanna straightened up a kiln-dried plank and was as silent as a tombstone after that. Nora continued on with the reins in her hand and her eyes firmly forward, she was intent on embracing the silence for the remainder of their walk. It would be a welcome change, even if but for a fleeting moment. She was already trying to prepare herself mentally, she was going to be on a ship with this lot for three weeks, and that's if the weather is good...

What they had both failed to notice was that they were being followed. In fact, they had been followed the entire time. From the time they left the tavern they had been tailed by the sheriff and his men. They were on them like a pack of patient wolves, waiting to make their move. Surely they must've found out about the ship and their plans to get out of the city as well. They were mindful to keep a safe distance from the party as to not be seen by them and nearly had a full perimeter around them as well, cutting off any alleyways or side exits so that the party would not have a chance to give them the slip again. Once they made it to the docks there'd be nowhere for them to go, trapped like rats with their backs against the water's edge. Both Nora and Y'Vanna are oblivious to the wolves in waiting, and continue forward in awkward silence. Y'Vanna regretted opening her mouth and would be mindful of it for the remainder of their walk.


Party rolls for Awareness...
Hidden 2 mos ago Post by Atrophy
Raw
Avatar of Atrophy

Atrophy Meddlesome Kid

Member Seen 14 hrs ago


Solange - To the Docks

Cut away the vines or they'll suffocate your own growth.



While the others finished their shopping and returned to the cart, Solange busied herself by prepping a potion to ease the fire burning in Maréngo’s stomach caused by last night’s carousing and nothing more. She leaned forward from the barrel in which Neh’miah was pickling and set down her handwritten journal in front of her. Detailed diagrams of stems and leaves painted the pages between the fine, flowing script of her notes and recipes. Shorthand and jargon popped up like weeds throughout the paragraphs, making the writing almost nonsensical to anyone but the author. It was intentionally obtuse by design. Solange didn’t want any prying eyes to suss the nature of some of her more sinister serums.

She paused on a page and pulled roots and leaves out of her pouch. A vial was produced next, knocking against the one filled with the true culprit as she removed it from her bag, followed by a flask of clean water. Her hand disappeared up her sleeve to retrieve a foldable pocket knife. The well-maintained blade shaved off a slice of ginger root. She chewed the ginger vigorously, breaking it down to a pulp, and spat it into the vial. A pinch of salt followed, joined with a few crushed, dried leaves milled between Solange’s fingers that left the tips a deep crimson. She filled the vial with some distilled water, so focused she didn’t even spill a drop as Skarsat loudly cracked Neh’miah’s barrel right behind her so the poor thief wouldn’t suffocate, and put her thumb over top of it to give it a shake.

Her eyes paused on the tainted coffee vial secured in her pouch. There was still room in the potion for a little more liquid. She glanced over at Maréngo. The sailor wasn’t without his sharpness, but he was distracted with his new pet and the kindly gesture of making him a stomach soother was all Solange really needed. Yet her cheek still stung from Skarsat’s slap, prodding her towards the sensible choice. She passed the vial to Maréngo and clocked one of the Sheriff’s men behind his shoulder as Y’vanna set some crates on the cart.

“Here you are, my love. Drink all of it now. It may not outright absolve you from revelry’s revenge, but it shall stymie some of the more severe symptoms. Avoid alcohol—I know, darling,” said Solange, feigning a pained expression and clasping a hand to her heart, “—and drink plenty of water. As well, as adorable as Pyka is, save the rest of those plantains for yourself. They’ll help amplify the elixir.”

A protective hand shut down to her satchel as Nora jerked the reins, setting the cart in motion. A dark cloud of frustration stormed past Solange’s face as she quickly gathered her gear before it could slip off and sat back against the barrel with a huff, knocking poor Neh’miah yet again. She let her legs dangle from the back of the cart, kicking them as they slowly progressed through the market. The cries of the gulls from the nearby dock stirred up a feeling of excitement. This was actually happening. The moment the boat set sail she would be free from both her obligations to Fontaine and her false promises to Vargas. She put a hand up to her mouth, disguising a chuckle as a clearing of her throat. What was the split Vargas had offered? Sixty-forty, minus the deductions she owed? It was fortunate he never spoke with her sister. Perhaps then he’d know that she wasn’t good at sharing.

The sun felt nice on her skin and the future looked bright. Nora and Y’vanna proceeded onward with all the seriousness of a funeral procession as Pyka whined on Maréngo’s shoulder, but Solange felt like playing. She turned towards Skarsat with mischief on her mind, but the thought was suddenly shaken by the sight of another of the Sheriff’s men. No, this was the same one. A strange coincidence? He was looking their way, but was he actually watching? Solange stared directly at the guard, raised a closed fist up next to her chin, and pumped it twice as she puffed out her cheek. The raised eyebrows and turn of the head confirmed her suspicion.

Solange’s brow furrowed as she straightened her back and stretched, using the moment to scan the crowd. She recognized a few other of the Sheriff’s men, some from this morning and some from nights at the Red Sail Brothel. They were positioning themselves apart, posting up at crowded intersections or in front of alleyways. Solange looked over her shoulder past Nora. It was becoming clearer that they were being funneled. She turned back and the first guard she had vanished into the crowd. In his place she saw Gerranti on the move with a look of determination on his face. I would advise none of you to be around when I find this Neh’miah. Gerranti’s warning echoed in her head. Son of a bitch, they’d been ratted out!

“Don't look behind you, sweeties, but we've been outplayed by the Sheriff. It appears like his whole constabulary is here to charge us for the crime of smuggling absolutely fucking stupid cargo,” said Solange, venom dripping from her voice as she eyed the crate of alchemist fire. She turned her head towards Nora. “Darling, can this thing move faster?"

Solange's Misfortune
1x Like Like
Hidden 2 mos ago 2 mos ago Post by Jarl Coolgruuf
Raw
Avatar of Jarl Coolgruuf

Jarl Coolgruuf The Mellower

Member Seen 4 hrs ago

Maréngo




Maréngo watched with interest as Solange mixed and mashed bits of plant matter together into some kind potion. He'd met a few witch doctors and bokors in his time as a pirate and had watched them perform similar acts so he had no trouble with downing the entire mixture in one go. The ginger gave it a noticeable tang while the leaves added a more herbal flavor. Not a bad drink but certainly not his favorite.
"Could use a splash of rum," he commented as he passed the vial back to her.

He took a deep breath in and smelled the salt and fishy reek of the docks. The smells and the sound of seagulls overhead comforted him. The sea was his home and it always would be. He reached into his shirt and ran his thumb across the carved amulet hanging from his neck. Surely he was a favored sailor to survive as long as he had. Lord Leathe had shown him great mercy and he would not take lightly the gift of his very life. Although he still mourned the loss of his comrades he was more than happy to live on and keep their memory close to his heart. After all, there was still plenty of excitement and adventure left to be had. Only when his name was sung in pirate bars and spat on by bounty hunters the world over would he even consider retirement.

As he was making a mental note of his back alley pharmacist's instructions, he spotted a few of the sheriff's men who seemed to be looking right at him. The first one or two he dismissed as gawking at his new pet but it soon became too many to be coincidence. Being a pirate came with it's drawbacks and one of them was almost always being outnumbered by law enforcement whenever he was on dry land. This wasn't the first time he had experienced a race to the ship but this time they had the advantage of surprise. Their pursuers didn't know they knew they were being followed just yet.

Pyka also seemed to pick up on the fact they were being watched. He grew fidgety and clung tightly to his new owner as his eyes shifted back and forth across the crowd. Shaking Maréngo's sleeve, he hooted at a guard that was doing a particularly poor job of hiding himself in the crowd and stamped his feet in agitation. The pirate couldn't help but smile despite the situation. This impulse purchase might be an even better idea than he thought. Well, it could be if lived to tell about it.

Avoiding eye contact with any of the sheriff's men, he busied himself with inspecting the cargo.
"She's right. They're cuttin' off our exits so we'd better make a break for it now while they don't know that we know they're gunnin' for us."
1x Like Like
Hidden 2 mos ago 2 mos ago Post by Fetzen
Raw
Avatar of Fetzen

Fetzen

Member Seen 3 hrs ago

Skarsat


Skarsat had already felt the itch on the back of his hand to clench his fist and to liberate all of the poor air around that was imprisoned in a space without Neh'miah, without any chance to see the marvelous inside of the glorious man's nostrils ever again. It would have been a quick and easy move to ram a breathing hole into the wooden barrel and, while some people around them might have wondered about why he did this, none of them would have had the authority or even just the bare means to stop them due to any kind of upcoming suspicion.

The bar had been raised, however. A lot.

Skarsat was not in the cart with the others, but walked next and halfway behind it and did not care much about the busy market behind him he had already seen inside out. So the sheriff's men approaching them from that direction did go undetected by his attention initially, but either the booze had not yet left Solange's system in sufficient quantity and she was talking utter bullshit, or they had a problem. His gaze turned towards her and maybe she could see that, maybe for the first time ever, he was actually taking her seriously and not as the unscrupulous bitch she was already marked down as in his mind. What she said made just too much sense.

That brief moment of appreciation was likely doomed to remain the only one of its kind this morning however as the Tork man realized that Solange, despite her mouth actually making useful noise for a change, still was yet another ass aside Neh'miah's that did not help move things forward. Skarsat's eyes wandered towards Maréngo and quickly deduced from the man's obvious lack of engagement to get himself going instead of talking that the pirate would not be of much help either. Now could at least that new pet of him take off and help pushing ?

Of course Pyka didn't...

Skarsat considered whether he should spare himself the effort and claim that suddenly going to higher speeds would only shed the spotlight on them while it was not yet ascertained that the sheriff's men were actually looking for Neh'miah and knew he was with them, but it was a false hope. This thief had stolen some important stuff, but even more so he was now stealing all of their neves! And so Skarsat's hands reached for the sides of the cart as he positioned himself right behind it, his body leaning forward more and more and his feet digging into the ground and trying to find some grip on whatever protruding cobblestone he could find. Maybe it was a bit of a start too flamboyant as Y'Vanna's feet now were in serious danger of being rammed into the mule's dirty rear as long as the latter's speed wasn't synchronized with the cart again, but Skarsat could hardly care less.

They were in danger, and so was his chance of proving that he was not the annoying, useless, ludicrously oversized foreigner refusing to endulge himself in the local supply of vine for it now were exactly these properties that seemed to make him the perfect choice for making that thing go faster as requested! Just knowing that those who had tried to screw him would now be screwed without him was such a morale boost...

Awareness roll
1x Laugh Laugh
Hidden 2 mos ago Post by Meleck
Raw

Meleck Cleric on the Northern Plains

Member Seen 10 days ago


If you would have described Fu as being one of the most observant people on the planet you would have been wrong. It took bumping into a deputy for Fu to realize that something was up. The good news for Fu was they were not looking for him at the moment but others. Fu watched the scene playing out like a poorly planned game of Go. Pieces were bring flipped driving the thieves towards a trap of the Sheriff's choosing. Fu could not believe that they would use a wagon with a donkey. People would slow that down as they moved through the crowds. "These poor souls were going to need help!" Fu though to himself.

Fu started working his way through the crowd. Being shoved pushed back, it was clear that he was only going to go as fast as the crowd wanted to go. Trying to fight the stream was also drawing attention to him in the wrong way. Like his wearing white robes and carrying a colored stick was not enough to get strange looks from people to start with. Fu did the only thing he could think of. He headed for the rooftops.

Now to describe Fu as one of the most graceful people on the planet would also be a mistake. He started up a stall wall, onto the barn roof, then on to house. He released his spring loaded grapple and swung to the next building, landing flat then working his way up to the roof. Then it was a down hill sprint to get into position. It was slightly distracted by a woman preparing for a bath and an older couple that insisted that he have a cup of tea.

and ran leaping over the alley ways trying to get ahead of the wagon so he could set up an ambush.
1x Like Like
Hidden 2 mos ago 2 mos ago Post by Arkitekt
Raw
GM
Avatar of Arkitekt

Arkitekt Weaver of Webs, Collector of Souls

Member Seen 13 hrs ago



"What the feck is-" Y'Vanna snarled as the cart is suddenly and violently heaved at from behind. "Shite, let me grab a hold to something first, would ya?"

Both Nora and Y'Vanna were both taken by surprise as the cart now scuttled forward with a great boost to its otherwise mediocre speed, and they both did their best to secure themselves to it before calamity struck, yet again. Y'Vanna grabbed hold to the cart's side whilst also trying to stabilize the crate of alchemist's fire as Nora seemed to have herself a bit more organized, managing all the while not to tangle the reins in Y'Vanna's flailing feet. Neither of them had had enough time to register what was going down but it was all coming together now.
Not that the sheriff's men hadn't noticed either...

"They're making a break for it!!" the footman shouted, raising an arm in their direction and waving it wildly to signal the others.

The surrounding area exploded with chaos as one of them shouts. People were thrown to the ground or shoved out of the way as they all began their pursuit with a newfound voraciousness. There were fifteen men in tow with sheriff Gerranti. there were six footmen, and five men were armed with halberds, and another four with crossbows. The rest of the people in the streets did their best to stay clear of the cart that was now barreling clumsily towards the docks, swerving haphazardly as Nora did her best not to run anyone over...

"Out of the way, NOW!" she clamored, yanking at the reins in her best attempt to steer the janky cart. "Move, MOVE, I say!"

The party begins to make ground on the sheriff's men as they near the docks. The sheriff becomes desperate and orders his men to take action.

"They're getting away!" he shouted. "Fire upon them! Fire upon them at once!" He thrusts his sword towards them to authorize the attack, a visual validation and call to arms. The mortified civilians duck and dive to the ground, anything to clear the path of the sheriff and his men's wrath. They knew all too well the cruel hand of the law, the coldness in their hearts, and how they would not hesitate to carry out their notion of justice.

Two of the men fire while the other two wait for a second volley. Both of them take aim for the big man because he's a large target and he's fueling the cart's boosted speed. The first bolt misses by several feet, finding residence in a structural wall nearly missing a crouching pedestrian. The other bolt narrowly misses Skarsat's left arm, finding an opening between his arm and his ribs and almost burys itself completely into the barrel holding Neh'miah... the other two men waste no time stepping forward as the other two step back to reload.

1st Man's Shot- 7 - Miss

2nd Man's Shot- 11- Poorly Placed/Near Miss

"And FIRE!" the sheriff shouted yet again, his jaw wrenched with hatred and his lust for blood could be seen painted all across his face.

The third and fourth man both let their strings loose, and the bolts whistle audibly through the party sitting on the cart, the first bolt missing everyone barely. It does manage to find it's way right into the ass's ass causing it to wail in agony and shifting the cart's weight hard to the right just as the other bolt hits Nora directly above her pelvis on her left side.. the force of the blow throwing her from her seat on the cart and onto the ground. The mule flails and kicks wildly as the cart veers wildly to the right, slowing down just before crashing into some stacked crates some forty paces from the dock's planks.

3rd Man's Shot- 5- Miss (Hits Other)

4th Man's Shot- 15 - Hit

Nora rolls several times after hitting the ground fairly hard. She winces as she struggles to get to her feet, gritting her teeth as she finds her footing. She looks down to her hand, as it finds way to the bolt now sticking out of her side. She grasps it firmly in her palm and then she lets out a curdling scream as she then yanks it free, tossing it to the ground. Just as she unsheathes her blade to defend the party one of the sheriff's men hoods her and another two of the footmen grab her and take her into custody, dragging her back out of their perimeter as they slowly close in, the men with halberds now closing the gap whilst the crossbowmen ready themselves once more...

Y'Vanna was thrown from the cart as well once it hit the wall. She her best to hold on to the crate of alchemist's fire but she lost hold of it in the violence of the collision. It flew from her arms and crashed upon the ground just a few feet from the cart, it's contents now wetting the cobblestones and wasted to them on their journey.. no matter now, there were much more pressing issues. She sprang to her feet despite the aching scrapes and bruises she just accumulated and took cover by the cart to get her wits about her before testing the efficiency of the archers once more. She made sure she grabbed the rest of her gear from the cart while keeping herself low, throwing her scabbard and belts on. Sh then readies her pistol to fire upon one of the archers. She knew it was a fleeting chance but it would at least buy the others some time to react as well. She raised up as quick as she could and aimed as one of the archers was bent over his bow cranking it to the ready and she fired.

"Here goes fecking nothing..."

A loud crack rang out in the square and a plume of thick smoke shot forth over the bough of the cart. The sound echoed off the faces of the buildings adjacent to the docks. The gulls squawk and take to the skies along with the songbirds and the streets scatter as pedestrians climb one of the other in the scramble and there is a single, solitary moment of sheer silence before a hefty, chanking thund is heard, followed by a loud shriek...

"You bitch!!." he shrieked.. "The fecking bitch fecking shot me in me ear.. she shot me in me fecking ear Marituse!!" his words fell upon the air as if they had slid down a blade on the way out as he clung to the side of his face. A glint of red staining the outsides of his fingers.

The other archer next to him falls backward, dropping his crossbow on the ground, and the other two hasten their readiness. The men with halberds also step back with caution in the commotion. Nora can be heard screaming as the sheriff's men drag her further and further back as the other remaining footmen move to close off any exits. Gerranti pushes forward to bolster his men, but he is still in behind his archers. The anger on his face is still yet visible, even at this distance.

Y'Vanna's Save - 5 (failure)

Y'Vanna Fires crude pistol - 9 (grazing hit 1d6 dmg)

1d6 DMG: 3

Y"Vanna takes -1 to VITALITY from collision.
Hidden 2 mos ago Post by Atrophy
Raw
Avatar of Atrophy

Atrophy Meddlesome Kid

Member Seen 14 hrs ago


Solange

Run.



Solange grabbed hold of the railing as Skarsat shoved the cart forward, surprised and a bit horrified that he was actually able to help move it faster than the mule. She began cackling madly and cheering for Skarsat, daintely waving her fingers at the Sheriff in a taunt as the cart began to cruise, but the jeers cut short as a bolt buried into the barrel that had served as her backrest. She heard a gurgling noise as she dove to the floor of the cart, dragging her supplies into her chest and burying her head down to protect her vitals. She heard two bolts whizz overhead and two howls.

Solange barely had time to lift her head as the cart veered to the right and crashed into a stack of crates. She was bucked upwards and kicked her foot out and luckily caught it under the railing as her hand braced under the opposite side, preventing her from being tossed. Aside from a stubbed toe and a splinter or two on her finger she was fine. Amazingly, she’d avoid being tossed. She laughed nervously as she climbed out of her cart, her supply pack cradle to her chest like a newborn babe. Solange crouched low to make herself a smaller target.

For a moment, time slowed to a crawl. A mule was braying madly, caught in a limbo between life and death. A broken barrel leaked red, an unmoving limb draped out through a hole. Nora was snatched away, a happy moment in any other situation that was rained upon by the halberds being leveled towards Solange. Y’vanna fired a pistol, the sound of a man shrieking was like music. Gerranti red face hollered, two men cranking at their crossbows. Skarsat and Maréngo might be able to dance with a few deputies, but Solange had literally danced with some of these deputies at the Red Sail because she couldn’t even manage to slay a defenseless, unsuspecting woman without mucking the whole thing up. Drawing her dagger might as well be followed by falling on it.

She slung her pack over her back in hopes that it was dense enough to catch bolts for her and scrambled around the cart. She paused for a moment, scanning the wreckage for anything useful amongst the scattered and abandoned gear that belonged to Nora and Neh’miah. There was too much rubbish to dig through, so she snatched up the first bag she saw and began to flee towards the ship. She ran with her head ducked down, fearing the Sheriff’s men saw the back of her head like it was the red center of a practice target. Solange was determined to get to the docks.

Once she was in shouting distance she’d call out for Captain Griffin, barking what limited sailing terms she knew to get the old salt to get ready for a hot exit. Perhaps she could rouse some reinforcements from his crew. Perhaps the others would fall and she could stowaway instead. Perhaps she’d change her name, dye her hair, and live life out of Gnok. Perhaps she should focus on the immediate present instead of an uncertain future. The docks weren’t too far now. She just had to keep running.

2x Like Like
Hidden 2 mos ago Post by Meleck
Raw

Meleck Cleric on the Northern Plains

Member Seen 10 days ago

Fu worked his way to the edge of the roof and watched as the fight unfold. The poor donkey took the worst of it, arrow wounds, and injuries. He had hoped to use the Sheriff and his men as a distraction to sneak about the ship. Now, it seemed that this cast of misfits needed a distraction so they could make it to the ship without being killed. Such an event would be inconvenient and costly.
Wim dropped his hand into a pouch on his belt and pulled out a single glass ball and held it in his right fingers. With his left hand, he moved in front of it making the single ball become two. Then with his other hand, he did a flourish like he was in front of a crowd now holding four. With a snap of his arm, while holding it up. Three of the balls disappeared into his sleeve and he was holding one. With a snap of his arm, the three glass balls in his sleave were projected out into the crowd of the Sheriff's men. He held up the one again making it disappear.

What ensued after was a bit of Chaos as the glass balls hit and the chemical reactions took place. Fu had planned to use smoke and the first one was. Thick black smoke erupted and started to billow in the street. Balls two and three were a glorious mistake. When the second ball hit, a concussive sound erupted with a bit of a shock wave from point of impact. Less than a second later the third ball hit with the same effect. One would have expected that shards of glass would have filled the air, but the rate of reaction and the thin glass made the glass into a fine powdery mist that would hard on the eyes, nose, and skin. The blasts would have done more damage with the shock wave on the ears.

When he saw the effect he did not take his bow, he started running again heading for the ship. It would not take long for someone to point out who had thrown those little bombs. He was the only one on the roof of the building running. He leaped across an alleyway landing on a rail of a porch falling through the window of a sailor's brothel and bouncing off of an occupied bed and onto the floor. He went grabbed the woman's dress and hat and pounded out the door as she screamed and the sailor was trying to recover enough to come beat him up.

In the Stairwell, he slid the dress over his head and placed the hat on his head. Then he let his long hair go loose. He worked his way down the stairs. On the landing, he grabbed two pieces of fruit and stuffed them into the top of the dress giving it some shape where it was needed. It was grapefruit and orange.

As men were running up the stairs, he moved out of the way and using a false voice and covering his face, he pointed upwards and said, "He's hiding up there." He went quicker down the stairs through the kitchen and out into a court yard that exited out onto the street.

Moving out he headed for the ship to figure out how he would sneak aboard.

1x Like Like
Hidden 2 mos ago 2 mos ago Post by Fetzen
Raw
Avatar of Fetzen

Fetzen

Member Seen 3 hrs ago

Skarsat


From his position behind the cart, Skarsat had not so much insight into about where the whole cart was heading towards. His vision was blocked by empty containers, jars full of alchemist's fire, barrels serving as wooden wrappers for selfish bandits who had had enough bad luck not only for themselves but for the whole lot of people as well, and two other individuals whose uselessness had already been ascertained in the female and -- fortunately! -- not yet proven or disproven in the male case. Right now both of them made the effort of pushing only more difficult, only feeding Skarsat's desire to leave the job of steering in the hands of those who actually were in control of the pair of wheels that could turn.

Skarsat's ongoing thoughts shattered to pieces as he felt and heard something whizzing right through the gap between his arm and body as if through an almost ridiculously small archway. The barrel it hit, to use less harmful words, structurally failed and revealed its content just as the latter made the ultimate transition from life to death. In the brief moment before their mule's shriek announced the end of their short drive, Skarsat could see into Neh'miah's eyes. They were wide open almost as if the thief had seen that shot coming which, of course, was a thing of impossibility. Maybe the result of one last, uncontrolled stimulus as nerves had been severed and pushed aside by shattered bones ? The grotesque statue the man had been reduced to toppled over and landed on the ground butt-first as the cart veered to the right onto a collision course, the lethal bolt still sticking out at the back of the head and the front of the dislocated jaw.

"Get yer arse down, ye fecking hefty oaf...! Yer gonna get ye fecking head shot off!"

Y'Vanna's heavy accent brought Skarsat's attention back to the fact that difficulties had just begun. Not sitting on the cart had spared him from the worst of the impact, but he was still blatantly exposed indeed! The Tork man's shadow engulfed Y'Vanna for a fraction of a second as he jumped over the cart's remains, landing next to the woman with one massive noise.

"Get your driving skills up!" he snapped back at her, adding "And keep your head away from the cart. These crossbows are strong!" If one of those bolts could punch trough a barrel, it could probably also get quite a bit through the wooden boards in front of them and hit anybody who did not keep some fair bit of air between them and himself.

Skarsat was well aware of his new investment being slung right over his shoulder and just waiting for a first use. Space was quite an issue for a big man big bow combination if one had to remain covered for the sake of staying alive, but even more so would it be an issue for him to try and get to the shit without any of those four trained soldiers hitting him. It had almost worked before already... Perching on the dock's dirt and making his height as insignificant as possible, Skarsat readied his weapon and tried to make an educated guess about one of sheriff's men rough position by sound. He did not dare to raise his head above the cart's frame until he really had to for one quick, final correction of his aim.

And only as he was about to do that he noticed what their crazy madwoman was doing... This Solange dared to search and loot the shit out of their dead comrades while under fire! Now would she at least offer to share the spoils or would she keep everything to herself ? Hell why did he even wonder... However, just as much as Skarsat felt his profound aversion towards her refueled by her actions, he also found them to be quite useful for himself. The Sheriff's bowmen would probably pay less attention to him taking his final aim while looking -- or perferably just shooting at -- Solange's nice butt making a run for it, would they ?

The broadhead arrow cut through the air with a hissing noise. Skarsat really would have preferred to just kill Gerranti and thereby take the head of the snake instead of just cutting away a small slice of its tail, but Gerranti was in cover and one ranged fighter less still improved everyone's odds. So the individual hit was one of those with a crossbow just as the soldier got his hand off the crank. The man's breakfast was to suddenly find a second exit from his guts along with large quantities of blood as the armor had only provided insufficient protection against the broadhead. Gerranti's subordinate collapsed almost instantly and frantically pressed his hands against the disturbingly large arrow and its entry wound, but a few seconds later the cries became fewer and quieter already. So that was one quarter of the most immediate threat eliminated.

Still three quarters left though and they were running out of time as the melee fraction of Gerranti's men would certainly not wait forever until closing in. They had to get away from here and now there were three not only halfway disciplined, but also very angry shooters just waiting for anyone to come out of the cart's cover. The ship was just too far away for a mad dash, it would have to be a lunatic's dash!

That was, unless...

Skarsat's eyes wandered towards one of the cart's wheels that looked a bit dislocated as if its axle had partially cracked. To his delight he noticed that these were not some of those more delicate hub and spoke weels, but made by a much more primitive and heavy-duty design comprised of thick wooden boards bolted to each other in separate layers and ultimately carved into their final, round shape. That could work, at least for one of them! The Tork crawled towards the piece of equipment and did his best to complete the damage, yanking it off the axle's remains and figuring out how to get a good hold on it without exposing his fingers on the other side too much.

That was one very makeshift shield, but still a lot better than nothing and probably sufficient to protect him while moving ducked and someone much smaller than him while running. He'd only need it for one thing before handing it over to Y'Vanna and that was reaching Neh'miah's body. Searching it for the pricey stuff like that vulture called Solange ? Never! There were more speedy options available to extract any of the coins or other valuables the poor man had been carrying, options that even would preserve the chance to give the fellow anything similar to a proper burial at sea. And of course he'd be able to put it between him and the guards as a larger, thicker, softer version of a shield for himself while Y'Vanna used the wheel. Given the mess that Neh'miah's head had been turned into it would take an incrediby bad strike of luck to desecrate it any worse than the city's officials would, would it ?

"Y'Vanna ? Give me cover and tell me when at least some of them are reloading again!"

But... now what! Explosions ? Smoke ? There were too many weird things going off for Skarsat's poor mind to understand simultaneously... Now if he could only wait for the smoke to become the thickest and then get this body...

1x Laugh Laugh
Hidden 1 mo ago 1 mo ago Post by Jarl Coolgruuf
Raw
Avatar of Jarl Coolgruuf

Jarl Coolgruuf The Mellower

Member Seen 4 hrs ago

Maréngo




Maréngo had started to turn and tell the big oaf to stop pushing before the soldiers figured out the jig was up but the thought had no time to leave his mouth. Pyka screeched as the chaos unfolded and clung tight to his shirt as they were both tossed from the cart. The pirate tried his best to shield his new companion from the impact and earned a few bruises in the process. He lay on the cobblestone for a moment dazed and confused. It took him a moment to process the person being dragged away by the sheriff's men was the mercenary. What was her name again? Zora? Lora?... Nora

This was bad, very bad. They'd already lost one of their most capable fighters and things were quickly spiraling out of control. Maréngo looked toward the wreckage of the cart and the injured mule.
"So much for that." he muttered, trying to shake off the battering gravity and momentum had conspired to give him.
Having been in more than a few battles and having an ounce of common sense, he knew being in the open was a terrible idea. Extending his hand to Pyka, the monkey leaped toward him and grabbed onto his arm as he ran for cover. He dove beind the cart wreckage and ended up next to the massive Tork just as he fired his arrow. For all that impressive strength, the party was simply out matched by sheer numbers. Turning to Y'vanna, he watched her accept the makeshift shield and smirked.
"Good thinkin' big man!"
The pirate kicked at one of the remaining wheels until it came loose and he had a very sad excuse for a shield to call his own. He surveyed the scene around them and a thought came to his head.
"I have an idea to keep the sheriff and his dogs off us for a minute but things'll get very hot very fast. You two should get a move on before that."

Y'Vanna looked to the salty sailor with huge, widened eyes as she instantly she was aware of his intentions... he was going to try to ignite the the spoiled crate of alchemist's  fire and  Skarsat and herself were still way to close to it and were in immediate danger... and it was time to go.
"Oh, fekken hell!" she clamored, giving Skarsat's arm a hefty pull to urge his haste. "We better on with it, we gotta move now!"
She turned to the card's strewn about contents and then she saw it.. Nora's rifle, and her powder horn just a foot or so away. She made a quick attempt at grabbing Nora's rifle and horn along the way. She managed to grab the rifle but didn't have a free hand for the horn as she was clinging to her belts and scabbard.

Skarsat's eyes widened as he saw Maréngo and listened to his idea, then the Tork turned his head towards the smoke screen now blatantly visible even from behind cover.
"Do it, but I need to get Neh'miah!"
He grabbed his improvised shield, held it before as much of his humble self as he could, and moved forward towards the dead body. He headed for the very next thing of it he could grab, then had to let go of the wheel and just tossed it behind himself for Y'Vanna to pick up somehow. Of course all of this took longer than her quick pickup of Nora's rifle, but hopefully he would manage not to be entirely incinerated.

Maréngo grimaced at the sight of the Tork's grisly shield. That makes two fighters down before things even started which became three as he watched Solange's back disappear into the distance. Not that he blamed her, she absolutely had the right idea. With that in mind, he leaned out with pistol drawn and--

Smoke. Smoke fucking everywhere.

Black, billowing clouds engulfed the street and Maréngo reflexively ducked back behind the cart for a moment, thinking the alchemist's fire had somehow combusted just by him looking at it wrong, but that couldn't be. There was no heat, no flames, just smoke thicker than any fog he'd ever seen.
"What in the Nine Hells?"
After a moment of confusion, Maréngo thought better than to look a gift horse in the mouth; especially one that might help save his life. He moved back a few paces, said a quick prayer, and pulled the trigger. There was a crack of gunfire and the cobblestones erupted in flames. Even at a distance he felt the surge of scalding heat against his face as a bonfire surged to life in the middle of the street. The poor mule braying grew still louder as it kick and struggled to move away from the flames reaching out to lick at its fur. Maréngo felt a twinge of pity for the poor thing but wasted no time in tearing down the street at full tilt, holding the cart wheel behind him with one hand and a terrified Pyka close to his chest in the other. He waved the remaining party members on as he ran past them and his call came up from deep in his chest, loud enough to be heard over even a howling gale.
"MOVE!!"
1x Laugh Laugh
Hidden 1 mo ago Post by Arkitekt
Raw
GM
Avatar of Arkitekt

Arkitekt Weaver of Webs, Collector of Souls

Member Seen 13 hrs ago



The sheriff and his men were taken aback as a great cloud of smoke filled the air about them, clearly confused as to what had just happened. It was unclear whether it had been sorcery or mere parlor tricks, but it made it little difference as the men all stepped back gasping in awe at the sudden event. There sheriff took note and quickly tried to regain the poise of his small regiment. He shouted loudly and grabbed the bowman who had fallen to the ground with his ear mangled, wrangling him up to his feet.

"YE ALL BE FEEBLE MEN! Be up with it.. NOW!!" the sheriff shouted voraciously, yanking him up onto his feet.

It was an ill-fated attempt though. Just he did there was another pistol blast, followed by a massive fireball that landed them all back on their fleshy seats. The blast was not an explosion by any means, but the force and heat that rolled out from the ignition sent them all to the cobbles once more. What's for worse was they couldn't see the danger as it was shrouded by the smoke from Fu's diversion, but they could definitely feel it's presence.
It was at this moment that the captain had taken note of the chaos unfolding just up from where they were docked with the ship. The flintlocks had almost gone unnoticed, almost inaudible in the coastal breeze, but the smoke and the fireball had caught his attention, as well as half of the crew's as well. Then, captain Griffin's brow furrowed as he noticed his men had also taken note. He looked to them and nodded..

"Aye, that probably be our Vargas's cargo then.." he said.

"Aye." said several of the men in chorus.

"Aye, I guess we're up then... MEN, TO ARMS, TO ARMS!" he shouted.

The men all jumped into action as the planks of the ship seemed to crawl with life, like an ocean of fleshy waves rolling about the planks. The cannon crews all started shifting cannons to position them for a better field of view, as some restacked the shot. They were exquisite in their proficiencies, all hardened by years of salt and sun. The men's dark complexions all glistened with sweat, like seals on the rocks after a swim and a meal. Muscles torqued and tightened as they wrestled with them. The captain made his way to the bow of the ship so that he could get a better view of the chaos that was unfolding. He could now see them, a disheveled group running frantically towards the ship. "Aye, that be them indeed.." he muttered, his lips curled and snarled in anticipation. The captain had no love for the city of Guillan, and even less for those that governed it. He relished in the idea that there might be a scuffle, and the thought seemingly brought him a bit of joy as his snarled lips curled into a smirk.

"Ba'ku.. get then men and pull anchor, dorp the mains and let's get her ready to move. This is gonna happen fast." Gerard said, looking on to his first mate.

"AYE, captain." said the towering Afrik.

Ba'ku had been with the captain longer than most of the men on the ship, and was very close to the captain. He had picked him up from the coasts of Baakara, his homelands. He was a fugitive and on the run from his people for fictitious crimes they had wrongly accused him of. Griffin, a man of good judgement in character decided to give him safe passage and took a chance on him. An act that the large Afrik would never forget, and one that bonded him to the captain for life. He was a grateful servant of Gerard, and would happily give his life for the man without even a thought on it. Men like Ba'ku were hard to come by, and fortunately for the captain, hard to get rid of too.

Ba'ku gave a short bow and took off to man the anchor crew and began to pull it up as others tended to the sails, and the captain turned his attentions once more to the party. They were all running for their lives. A red headed woman was leading the pack, it was an odd sight to see such a frail frame moving at such a high speed. She was quickly followed by the others, one which could be seen much better than the rest as he looked to be as big or bigger than Ba'ku, and looked like a boulder that would surely crush the rest of them had he rolled an ankle on the cobbles. It looked as though they had suffered some hits in the scuffle, and possibly even had a casualty with them. This was a dire situation indeed. One that would require drastic actions.. and even if they weren't warranted, the captain was surely a generous man.

The sheriff's men had regained their feet and were no longer disoriented by the brief distraction, and the noise coming from the cart did much to bring them back in. Some of the men had already made their way around the fire and were once again in pursuit of the party. The mule breyed vehemently at the heat of the flames coming from the alchemist's fire, and the sheriff could no longer handle it.

"SHUT-THAT-FUCKING-THING-UP!" the sheriff's neck and forehead were bright and reddened, and veins busted forth beneath his skin as he shouted, saliva flying and frothing from the corners of his mouth with rage.

One of the halberd men promptly did as he was ordered, sinking his spike into the mule's neck and queueing a final gurgled brey, giving it the peace that it had so longed for. The sheriff and the rest of the men quickly made their way around the fire blockade and rejoined the pursuit. The blockade had given the party a good bit of ground on the sheriff's men and had at least prolonged their lives, for however much longer that would be...
The party had hit the planks of the docks as the sheriff's men gave one final push on them, choosing to confront them one last time before they tried to board the ship. Gerranti had recognized the ship's flag, and knew straight away the captain. This seemed to infuriate him even more, as they had had several run ins in the past, and there was a decent amount of bad blood somewhere in there. He raised his saber high into the air and gave command once more. Horns could be heard in the distance to alert reinforcing units to come to their aid as well...

"I SAY HALT!" he shouted once more.

The entire city seemed to shut down completely, and time briefly stood still. The streets and docks were deathly quiet, as if the air had been sucked out of the atmosphere. Deafeningly quiet, even the winds seemed to heed his command.

"Griffin." the word stern on the sheriff's tongue, as if it was thick with tannins.

The silence was to be short-lived. The captain with a solitary gesture gave his command to fire upon the port. The sound was not heard before the smoke and ball had cleared the chamber and bellowed forth over the bow. A small bore cannonball found it's place when it met with a belltower on the edge of the city, overlooking the bay. The sound was most definitely heard then, and the steeple and bell fell to the streets with a great deal of rubble falling apart on the way down and street goers fled as best as they could, but some were not so lucky and were crushed by the heavy falling stones. The sheriff's men were once again felled to the ground as the shot rang out. Moments later shrieks from the chapel could be heard.

"You'll not get away with this Griffin! You will not deny me these dogs!" the sheriff shouted. "You'll swing from a noose for this! I swear it, I SWEAR IT!"

"Maybe so.. but not before you sprout fins" Griffin said in retort.

A jolly laugh bellowed from his hefty gut, and the men all laughed with him. The ship had already started pulling from the docks as the party made their final push to board. Guillan would not soon forget this day, nor anyone that took part in these events. Had they ever made their way back to the city they would surely meet their ends. No one would be able to overcome the charges that were gained here on this morning.
Hidden 1 mo ago Post by Meleck
Raw

Meleck Cleric on the Northern Plains

Member Seen 10 days ago



When all hell started to break loose on the Docks, Fu decided it was time to move. The cannon blasts added such a nice touch to making everyone duck and cover.

In the confusion he headed towards the ship. This was the perfect distraction as long as he did not get shot by the sheriff’s men or from the cannons.

In then sailors scrambling on the dock, someone yelled at him, “Release the port bow Mooring line and make it snappy!”
Fu grabbed the line and lifted it around the post that was holding it. To his surprise the rope was heavier than he expected and he barely managed to free it. He was going to step into the loop and ride up on to the ship till the rope stated to slide off the dock and down into the water.

Seeing that this was a bad plan, He scrambled into a group of sailors that were grabbing the last of the items from shore and boarding the ship. Fu grabbed a small crate and headed up the plank. Cannon fire was the blessing that he needed to get onboard and get past the Captain and First Mate.

He set the crate down on the pile and moved to the starboard rail. The next salvo allowed Fu to head down the hatch stairs and gave him time to find a dry room to hide in.
1x Like Like
Hidden 1 mo ago Post by Atrophy
Raw
Avatar of Atrophy

Atrophy Meddlesome Kid

Member Seen 14 hrs ago


Solange

Run!



Her dress was hiked up to her knees, the billowing skirt bunched together like the petals of a bouquet, as Solange focused on putting one foot in front of the other and praying to whichever gods were watching that she didn’t stumble over the excessive amounts of fabric. She had not run like this since she had come to Gullian. Behind her she could feel the presence of a ghost . The woman with black and silver hair screamed for the constables, her hand that was dried with blood wetting itself yet again as it pressed against the base of her neck. Ahead of her Solange saw the uncertain future as the white sails of the Pinned Seal unfurled as shouts from aboard drowned out her own call to the captain and mixed with the cacophony of reality and memory coming from behind her. She did not turn back to hazard a glance.

Solange kept running. Orders from the Sheriff to halt were ignored without a second of reconsideration—perhaps next time order a halt before pinning the skull of one of their companions to the inside of his rudimentary coffin. Her breathing grew heavy. The gangplank was almost right in front of her. She had nearly reached it when the cannon fired overhead, the blast so deafening that Solange’s hands instinctively let go of her dress and covered her ears. The long, bundled up fabric fell loose as she pressed on, her foot stepping on the hem of the dress. Her already racing heart nearly exploded as she felt herself begin to trip. Her hands reacted faster than her brain, snatching up her dress yet again as the explosion still rang in her ears. She felt some fabric tear as she did an awkward sidestep, but she kept her balance and kept going.

She only stopped once she made it to the top of the gangplank, two sailors hoisting her aboard as the ship began to shift forward. She stepped clear to allow room for the others to jump on as she finally took a moment to catch her breath and look at the pandemonium left behind. Black smoke swirled on the wind as a small fire burned on the street and began to engulf the cart, a man laid dead in the street with an arrow punched so deep in him that he looked like he’d been stabbed by a quill, and the top of a church stood smoking where the belltower once had been. Solange’s mouth gaped at the nameless bystanders, who seemed so small from the deck of the ship, trapped beneath the rubble from the tower. Some were squirming, others weren’t. Laughter echoed in her ears as she watched ants scrambled to lift the bell off of a person, a sailor pulling her back away from the firing line of the Sheriff’s men .

The captain was busy hollering orders. Once they were out of the bay and actually safe she would seek out a proper introduction, but for now Solange found herself an out of the way place to stand as the sailors set to work. In her hands she clutched the burlap sack she’d snatched from the streets and pressed it against her chest, pulling it away as she felt herself prodded by something sharp. She did not inspect further, her eyes too busy darting to and fro as they watched the men aboard the Pinned Seal work. As the adrenaline faded she was struck with the realization that she was only comfortable around sailors when they were too drunk to stand and being watched by oversized bouncers and hidden blades in the shadow. She craned her neck and looked for the others, trying her best not to appear shaken.
1x Like Like
Hidden 1 mo ago 1 mo ago Post by Fetzen
Raw
Avatar of Fetzen

Fetzen

Member Seen 3 hrs ago

Skarsat


So first of all Neh'miah had tried to get them all into lethal jeopardy by meddling in the affairs of people who apparently were way too important to the city for its sheriff to just ignore the matter. Then their beloved (or rather not so) Solange had tried to abandon them by doing what she so far had always done: caring about herself and only herself. Just to back up these efforts and for general good measure Maréngo was not hesitant to set up a fireworks that had serious potential to consume more than just its propellant, but at least did singe Skarsat's body hair as the rapidly spreading cloud of exquisite odour could tell. Still not enough danger around ? Apparently so because now he could also hear the unmistakable thunder of cannons fired along with some of the damage that caused to the dock's surroundings. Being all in the hands of some unknown sailors' accuracy in terms of aim was not a good feeling, so the Tork tried to make an even faster run for it.

Left shoulder, that was it! The most comfortable, or rather least hindering, position for a dead body to be carried. Good thing that Neh'miah obviously had been a rather lightly built man so he didn't slow things down that much, even though the dead thief's dangling legs and feet kept hitting Skarsat in his back as he rushed towards the gangway.

No! No! This could not be! Oh how cruel fate could be! First presenting the very possibility of one's most hated enemy stumbling over nothing less than the very piece of clothing she herself had chosen to wear no matter how utterly inappropriate it foreseeably had been, then taking said possibility away again like the carrot in front of the greedy horse desperate for food. Just how nice it would have been to see Solange drenched in oily, murky water crying out for anybody to pull her out of it -- everyone except for the sheriff's men, of course!

Now was that him accidentally hitting some kind of resonance frequency while running up the gangplank or did that wooden thing bend up and down that much under his steps even without ? Would have been another good way to send someone flying into the water if only he had been a lot faster, but now all that was left for him was the significant feeling of discomfort as the swaying motion made the contents of Skarsat's stomach hitting the top end of their container again and again, too.

Only once on board the ship and thus out of the most of trouble he noticed that there was something on Neh'miah's belt which was close to Skarsat's neck. A pouch of coins, and even a lot of those. Skarsat wrapped his hand around the small leather thing and pressed his fingers against it firmly. Noone would take that away, not until its contents had been split up evenly among the remaining members of their little... expedition.
1x Like Like 1x Laugh Laugh
Hidden 1 mo ago Post by Jarl Coolgruuf
Raw
Avatar of Jarl Coolgruuf

Jarl Coolgruuf The Mellower

Member Seen 4 hrs ago

Maréngo's feet pounded against the cobble stones, his chest heaving as he ran for everything he was worth. He stole a glance behind him and couldn't help his smirk at the sight of lawmen stumbling over themselves. The distraction had worked better than he could've hoped for, much to the distress of his simian companion. Pyka's fearful shrieking followed the party down the docks as he clung tight to his new owner for dear life. Maréngo patted the animal's poor little head in a half-hearted attempted to sooth him. Things were a bit chaotic but everything was going to be ok. Everything was going to be just fine once he got to the ship.

His thoughts were interrupted the very next moment by a thunderous boom coming from said ship.
"Fuckin' shit!"
Maréngo instinctively covered the back of his neck to protect it from shrapnel as heard a building behind him take the full brunt of a cannonball. Bystanders began to scream and run for cover but he paid them no mind. He was more than. a little grateful for the extra help in tripping up his pursuers and at this point, the ship was visibly drifting away from the dock. He was going to have to jump for it.

Putting on an extra bit of speed he didn't know he had, the pirate ran with his lungs on fire and his breath coming in ragged gasps. He made a running leap for the ship and managed to hook his arm in the railing before he fell to the water below.
"A little help, me boys?" he wheezed.
A pair of sailors quickly brought the man on deck where he took a moment to catch his breath before a grin spread across his face. He leaned back over the rail and gave a hearty seaman's laugh, pointing mockingly at the fuming sheriff.
"The sea couldn't have me and ya thought I'd keel over for the likes of you!?" he shouted. "Back behind yer mother's skirt, land-hugger and tell 'em Maréngo sent ya!"
1x Like Like
Hidden 18 days ago 18 days ago Post by Arkitekt
Raw
GM
Avatar of Arkitekt

Arkitekt Weaver of Webs, Collector of Souls

Member Seen 13 hrs ago



Y'Vanna stood frozen in silence, her jaw gaping in awe from the sudden blast of the cannon. The chaos that ensued and the carnage had solidified her legs completely. She quickly shook it off as the captain began to shout once more and she dug her heels in deep and clutched at her belts as she gave it her all in one final push to catch The Pinned Seal before it pulled away from the harbor. It wasn't much of a distance, but the sails had already caught wind and the ship was slowly beginning to pull away from the dock. She was almost there when the gangplank began to slide and drag along the edge of the ship. She decided to risk it, which proved to be a very bad choice as it began to lean to the side as the ship continued to move, and it became unstable beneath her boots.
She slipped and almost found herself in the wash with the crabs and barnacles, but she barely managed to catch the side of the ship, her belts and scabbards flailing about like a rack of kitchen utensils as she dangled from the side. Jarvis seen that she was struggling in her approach and quickly ran over to help her on deck. His brother James was close behind him. Jarvis and James, or Jameson, did everything together. They were twins but not identical. They did however finish each other's thoughts and sentences often, perhaps a bit too often, and were sometimes scolded for doing so. Both of them were fairly young, wiry and lanky men, and both were extremely skilled in dueling with both pistols and blades. The two often fought in unison, intertwined with each other in a fantastical dance of death.
They quickly pulled her up and over the railing, her legs flopping wildly about as she made her way over to the deck planks. Grace was obviously not her best quality... She lay with her face against the planks for a moment, in sheer gratitude for their hardness beneath her. Gratitude that she was still alive, and that she wasn't in line for the gallows, at least not yet.

"Fecking hell." she said, as she hoisted herself up. "What a fecking show that turned out to be..."

Ba'ku noticed the casualty in Skarsat's arms. They were both very large men, and Ba'ku forwarded a certain respect towards the Tork for it as well. Men of such stature were given great respect in his culture, so he naturally offered it in kind. He approached Skarsat and nodded to him respectfully, and then knelt and stretched his large arms out to take the burden from him.

"I will oversee this man's care for you personally. We will clean him up and bathe him and prepare his body for a proper burial at sea." he said with a great deal of reverence. Skarsat gave Neh'miah over to him and he stood and nodded once more. He then looked to a few of the crew men to come over and help. "Take him down and prepare his body, wash him in oils and sage. find him a proper outfit and ready him for the ceremony." he said, and the men all did as he asked and took Neh'miah below.
Ba'ku then turned to the party and spoke to them all.

"Welcome aboard The Pinned Seal. I am Ba'ku, first mate to the captain. If you will all follow me, I will show you to your quarters below."

His voice was very deep but also very gentle. Despite being rather large he was extremely hospitable and very well mannered. It seemed a very odd pairing to be sure. He then turned and made his way to the cargo opening mid ship and open the grated hatch revealing a steep staircase below. "Mind you all watch your heads and footing, the staircase is quite steep, more like a ladder really." and with that he made his descent into the dark crew hold below.



He guided the party through the small crew hold towards the back to a set of two rooms, neither of which were very large at all. It had several of the hammocks hanging inside that were also lining the walls of the crew hold. It was going to be a tight squeeze for sure but at least they were safe, and it was dry and void of any signs of mold. In fact, for such a cramped ship it was rather clean, and although it was rather stifling, it was not all that unpleasant. There was a certain smell aboard the ship, it was an oil they all used that was similar to a desert musk, made with a sage that grows out in the Yhemerian desert. It is a very fragrant and goes a long way to masking bodily odors in small spaces. The wood inside was all dry and the floors were also very clean and showed signs of regular mopping and maintenance.
The ship itself was as unique as its crew was diverse. A specifically designed galleon, a splice of a mercantile design mixed with a war galleon. It was very slender, and only about two thirds the size of a regular galleon, with nearly twice the speed and half the drag of regular galleons, this ship could maneuver in waters that other galleons would find treacherous. It was sure to be a very unique ship indeed, and one could be sure that Vargas had definitely had a hand in either its manifestation or its acquisition. One could be certain of that.



"These two rooms will be your quarters aboard the ship, you are free to do as you please and are not required to work while you are aboard the vessel. You are our cargo and our ward until we reach the island. Should you need anything simply ask. There is plenty of spiced rum upstairs, and there is a crate in the corner there for you should you require it. Also, in the small brown bottles you will find some of the desert musk we use to keep ourselves from being unpleasant... it's use is encouraged. Lunch will be in 3 hours, at the time of one. You may eat here or with the crew, or whichever suits you best. There will be a ceremony for your friend just before dinner around dusk." he said. He then turned to Skarsat who's head and a shoulder could barely make the doorway. "I think you may wish to bunk with us in the crew quarters, I fear this room may not be suitable for your size. I will leave you all to rest now and I'll see to the care of your friend, as promised." and then he took his leave, nodding to Skarsat on the way out.

Y'Vanna cared little for how cramped the room was, it hardly mattered as she was glad just to be alive, and every second they were at sea the further away they got from the nooses that surely waited for their return. She made her way over to the hammock on the corner and set her belts on the ground beside it, and then went straight for one of the bottles of spiced rum.

"Well, I don't know about you lot, but I could certainly use a feckin' drink." she said, biting the cork from the bottle. She spat it to the floor and took a long, healthy swig. She took a moment and paused, in either prayer or gratitude for their freedom, or perhaps a bit of both. The spiced rum tickled her tongue and throat and instantly brought her belly a growing warmth. She extended her arm and the bottle to the rest of them.


"Anyone else fancy a drink?"

Y'Vanna's Failure

Y'Vanna's Saving Grace

Status: -1 (Drunk.. again.)

Hidden 18 days ago Post by Arkitekt
Raw
GM
Avatar of Arkitekt

Arkitekt Weaver of Webs, Collector of Souls

Member Seen 13 hrs ago

Hidden 14 days ago Post by Fetzen
Raw
Avatar of Fetzen

Fetzen

Member Seen 3 hrs ago

Skarsat


Skarsat found himself more than just slightly baffled to see someone who at least came somewhat close to his own stature, but at the same time he was not unhappy about it. Now any kind of big guy jokes would have to be evenly distributed among at least two persons, hitting each of them with only half of their previous strength... The thought did not experience anything like longevity in his mind though for he still was in the process of handing over a dead body he would have preferred not to exist. One could not rant at a dead person for the obvious mistakes one thought they had done, but one could dishonour them by just not caring. The latter was what Skarsat felt the others were on the verge of doing right now and he didn't want to take part in that.

Yet there still was a pressing issue, pressing because the Tork lacked the trust necessary to think about it more relaxedly. It was the pouch of coin whose weight now felt uncomfortably heavy for it was only an indication of how much money would have to be distributed fairly among everyone. He needed to preserve it until the moment was right. Maybe at an upcoming dinner ? That was the only moment Skarsat expected everyone to be at the same place.

The vessel he found himself on did not hold back its potential for surprise. It was clean. Well, not perfectly clean but certainly a lot more tidy and well maintained than Skarsat would have expected for a ship whose sole purpose probably was to be employed in the misdeeds of some criminal mastermind like Vargas. Thinking about the latter... What would Vargas do once learning about the little incident at the docks ? An open shootout with the sheriff's men including some casualties and even the demolishing of a belltower probably was not what he had had in mind for their undocking procedure! The Tork man experienced an uneasy feeling going through his stomach the more he let his mind have a crack at the whole affair.

He wanted this sea journey to be over rather sooner than later. It would be easier to run away on land than it would be on sea and there were only so many cannonballs and other things they could shoot any anyone going behind them. And what if Gerranti was given the authority to do so ? It wasn't like the list of valid accusations against their little party had not grown at a frightening pace over the last few... minutes ?

Skarsat didn't even step into the small cabin presented to them once having learned that he was to sleep elsewhere. It wasn't even so much about the small size for he would have been alright with sleeping on the floor if necessary, but it was a lot about the prospect of sharing such a limited space with people like Solange whom he still held a big grudge against. And, just maybe, also about the fact that Y'Vanna was so blatantly eager to get herself drunk yet again at the earliest moment possible. Hell if only those beverages in this part of the world had tasted properly!

One deck further down one could tell that one was close to the waterline. The ship's hull -- down there it was more visible than anywhere else for there were less additional walls blocking one's view -- did not exhibit any obvious flaws of course, but there was no way of ignoring the fact that any condensing water following the flow of gravity found a dead end in the ship's bilge. The comparative vastness of space still was highly preferable to that cramped place higher up, so Skarsat happily found himself an empty corner to put down the small pile that was his equipment and lay down in the adjacent hammock.

He was not directly below the quarter shown to them but on the other side of the ship, right ? Otherwise he could only hope that the deck planks were proof against some serious influx of puke and wouldn't allow it to come dripping down. Just in case his extrapolation of what he had seen beginning up there would prove to be correct...
1x Laugh Laugh
Hidden 10 days ago 4 hrs ago Post by Jarl Coolgruuf
Raw
Avatar of Jarl Coolgruuf

Jarl Coolgruuf The Mellower

Member Seen 4 hrs ago

Maréngo




Maréngo couldn't help but admire the craftsmanship of the boat as they made their way aboard. Now that he wasn't running for his life, there was time to appreciate the vessel. He took note of how well maintained and relatively clean everything appeared and knew right from the start the crew took pride in their work. As he was already planning on helping out around the ship, Maréngo was very pleased by what he saw. Though the journey would be short he had a feeling he would enjoy the company of this crew.

Once below deck, he took a seat on the hammock opposite Y'vanna and leaned back with his hands behind his head. A terrified Pyka soon began to relax to a state of general nervousness and finally released his grip on his new owner. content to sit beside him. The pirate immediately perked up at the mention of drink and gratefully took the offered bottle. He lifted it to his lips but paused, remembering Solange's instructions for him to abstain from alcohol while the medicine worked its mojo. The pirate frowned and passed the bottle back with a heavy sigh. He thought it best not to disregard the advice of a trained herbalist (for now at least). Come to think of it, he still hadn't figured out what could've caused his bowels to revolt like that. He decided that it didn't matter anyway and there were far more important things to dwell on.
"What an excitin' start to our little adventure," he chuckled. "Maybe next time we do that we'll try not to fight the law five to one. I'm not sure who among us are gamblers but I can assure you those are shit odds."
1x Laugh Laugh
Hidden 8 days ago Post by Atrophy
Raw
Avatar of Atrophy

Atrophy Meddlesome Kid

Member Seen 14 hrs ago


Solange

Dead plants can become fertilizer.



It wasn’t quite relief that Solange felt as she watched Skarsat, Maréngo, and Y’Vanna scramble onboard, the lifeless body of Neh’miah hanging from the Tork’s arms. Solange had experienced her fair share of death while shadowing her mother, but this was different—violent, sudden, unexpected. Did the foolish thief even have a moment to realize the end was nigh as the bolt punctured his skull or had he left the world in the same ignorant bliss that’d gotten him in trouble in the first place? A slow drip of blood fell from the crossbow bolt and splashed onto the freshly swabbed deck. A man that rivaled Skarsat in stature lifted the body from his arms and gave it to the crew to take care of, mentioning a ceremony. It was only at that did Solange finally feel any sense of relief.

She followed Ba’ku below deck with the others, the pilfered bag still tight to her chest. A familiar scent hit her nose as they made their way to their rooms. At first it was hard to recognize with it being separated from more floral perfumes, but Solange eventually recognized the smell of the sage oil or, as the girls in her line of work often called it, the smell of gold. The memory drew a thin smile to her face that wavered ever so slightly as she saw the two closets they had been given as quarters. Her eyebrow arched ever so slightly as she stared at the large hempen nets hanging from the walls and tried to figure out where their beds were.

As Ba’ku explained everything and parted, a dumbfounded Solange sat down on their generously provided crate. That cheap bastard Vargas was such a bit biter that he couldn’t even get her a private cabin with a real bed? As Skarsat struck out to find his own space, Solange watched as Y’vanna cracked open a bottle of rum despite it not even being noon. To Solange’s surprise, Maréngo stopped himself from taking a swig of the drink.

As Y’vanna turned the bottle to her, Solange stared at it with some strong consideration. Everything had fallen apart so fast. It was funny. The thought of never going back to Gullian always had been part of her personal plan, yet now that the option had been removed from the table it suddenly was the only one Solange wanted to pick. The city had proved her with so many opportunities, yet now she only had this one chance. Her knuckles lightly rapped on the wood of the crate, knowing that like their fight with the law the chance of her future being as bright as she’d hoped for it also had shit odds—and having a drunk around only diminished her chances.

“Thank you, love,” said Solange, standing to take the bottle from Y’Vanna. She swirled the contents, lifted the bottle to her lips, paused, and chuckled softly before lowering the drink with a shake of her head.“Sorry, darling, this just reminds me of a story my sister once told me. It’s about Fontaine’s longest working whore. Her name was Sarey, but behind her back the girls called her Soresy Sarey—you can imagine why, love. Although she was well-experienced, she no longer could entertain the guests behind closed doors, so Fontaine had her work the floor.”

“Soresy would entice men into buying themselves and her drinks, which she put away better than any sailor. The story goes that the bar would run dry most nights Soresy Sarey worked, netting Fontaine quite a pretty profit. Yet Soresy stopped limiting her drinking to when she was on the clock, imbibing whenever she could and buying herself bottles from the bar on a daily basis. She couldn’t leave her bed without a drink in the morning, and soon she was so taken by the booze that she couldn’t leave her bed if she tried. She became a fiscal problem for Fontaine. Soresy couldn’t pay for her room, she couldn’t pay for her tab, and she couldn’t bring in customers. She was Fontaine’s longest working girl, but she was a detriment.”


Solange ran her hand across the bottle of rum as she recounted the tale, her eyes down as she continued on, a playful smile on her face.

“Now Fontaine wanted Soresy gone but she couldn’t bring herself to do anything to someone she considered to be her friend. Fortunately for her, she’d just hired a new enforcer from a spice island who’d survived an attack from some privateers. Her name was Prudence. A young woman then, probably about your age now,” said Solange, her eyes flicking up to cut Y’Vanna like a razor. “But she was mean. Nasty. Practically a wild animal. Prudence didn’t like seeing her new master so upset, so she took matters into her own hand. Soresy was dragged from her bed by her hair to the alley out back, screaming the whole time and so covered in bedsores that she’d truly earned her nickname.”

“The girls, of course, followed. Once on the stone ground outside, Prudence produced a bottle of alcohol and asked Soresy if she wanted a drink. Soresy at this point couldn’t even really speak, but she nodded. Without a word, Prudence uncorked the bottle and held it high,”
said Solange, taking the bottle of spiced rum and holding it out. Then, she turned it, pouring the liquid onto the planks below. “She emptied out the entire bottle on Soresy and then, as Fontaine and the other girls watched, she struck a match. Prudence then turned to Fontaine, and when Fontaine did nothing she dropped it.” Solange righted the bottle, empty all but for one single sip. “They say Soresy had drank so much alcohol the night before that she burned for hours. The scorch marks are still in the alley behind the Red Sail.”

“I’ve seen them myself,”
said Solange, tossing the nearly empty bottle back to Y’Vanna. “Anyway, enjoy your drink, love. If either of you need me, I’ll be above deck. It smells like someone is trying to cover up a drunken orgy down here, and I for one don’t want to risk getting any more stains on my dress.”
1x Like Like
↑ Top
© 2007-2017
BBCode Cheatsheet