A fierce land bearing a history of struggle, independence, and communal survival. To live here is to fend against vicious grimm unlike anything you've ever seen, to withstand the blazing heat or chilling colds of the desert wastes, and hope that the bandits and marauders who call those wastes home never find your defenses wanting. It is a land that often seems to reject the very concept of habitability and devour settlement after settlement down into its dusty gullet beneath the sands. But as dangerous and unruly the land proves to be, the people who call it home are ever more so.
Stubborn survivalists to every man, woman, and child, the people of Vacuo are a rambunctious lot who see every obstacle as just a challenge to overcome, every danger as a thrilling experience to toughen their hides and prove their mettle, and never give in to the pressures of their home. They are as wild as they are welcoming, the need to survive often overcoming most forms of petty animosity. But this sense of community is as much a curse as it is a blessing. For as friendly as they appear in the moment, Vacuans possess a long memory. They remember clearly, in tales told around campfires, the oppression they once faced from the nations of Mantle and Mistral, of the strict rule of such foreign powers that nearly burned the world in their desires to control it all.
And that is where you come in, an aspiring Huntsman or Huntress of Shade Academy, seeking to be one of the brave men and women who defend Vacuo from all threats and hardships that come her way. But just like the land they call home, many Vacuans react somewhat poorly to the Huntsman of Shade. They fear the power we hold, watching our every move in preparation for an over-reach that could signal the possible beginning of a new tyrant. The balance of powers and responsibility between Shade Academy and the governing bodies of the large nomadic cities that make up the heads of Vacuo has always been tenuous at best, as Shade must always prove its efficacy at managing the whole of the Kingdom as it does, while also being careful not to make moves that remove too much autonomy from the other cities. And that has grown ever more difficult now more than ever.
With Grimm activity and bandit raids occurring all across the kingdom at an all-time high and many local governments questioning the necessity of Shade academy as an institution. . . it is up to you, fine students, to prove them wrong. You must go out and show them that Shade is more than ready, but capable of taking out these new threats. From this moment on, you represent Shade Academy as young Hunts, am aspiring to greatness, a defender of the stubborn, ornery, and downright nasty piece of work that we Vacuans are proud to call our Home.
Chasing Shadows aims to be a sort of mix of some of the best parts of both early RWBY and the more recent Volumes to make an engaging RP with a focus on exploring characters, collaborating with your fellow role-players to enable fun plots and character moments, cool anime shenanigans, and so on and so forth.
As stated in the above blurb, this RP takes place in the Kingdom of Vacuo, a rough desert wasteland filled with all manner of nasty beast, terrifying Grimm, and even worse bandits for the characters to face off against, all the while being drawn into a much larger conflict that seems to be happening behind the scenes(No, not that one). As such, the way I'm structuring this RP will be one or two teams of students lead by a more veteran Huntsman because, in Vacuo, you don't have the luxury to learn in the safety of a classroom all day and nothing teaches faster than good ol' practical experience.
- Typical RP rules(Be respectful, don't start drama, follow the site guidelines, etc.)
- Looking for 1-2 teams, up to a max of 8 players.
- Sheets will be accepted on a case-by-case basis. No reserves, no "first come, first served"
- Silver Eyes: If you want to try and submit one you can, but you'll face more scrutiny than other sheets by a fair margin.
- I want most of the cast to be Vacuan locals, but there can be a few students from other kingdoms.
- Color name rule is in place.
- Posting Standards: About 1 paragraph minimum, and around 1 post a week.
- Shade Academy
- Old Atlas Dust Mines
- King's Ridge: A set of Ravines located near the northeastern border of Vacuo and Vale. It is the sight of where the King of vale and his armies made the final battle against the forces of Mistral and mantle. A lattice of ravines and exposed cave networks, it is rumored that each gash in the earth was created by a swing of the King's blade. However, rather than a place of reverence, King's Ridge is a dangerously unstable area, where rockslides, cave-ins, and other such disruptions are common ills to befall a traveler. Not only that, but the place has become infested with grimm of all sorts, perhaps drawn to the agonized curses of the hundreds, if not thousands of soliders who died that day facing the king.
- The Crown: A rumored sect of Vacuan terrorists, with the singular goal of re-instating the former monarchy of Vacuo. While a nominally fringe group, whispers have risen that they have begun to gain support and following in recent years. . .
- Academy Huntsmen: The graduate and Student Huntsmen of the various battle schools across the whole of Vacuo, and beyond in some cases. They hold no small amount of authority as part of the closest thing the Kingdom has to a united peace-keeping force, and often face a heavy deal of scrutiny when getting involved in the local affairs of Vacuan settlements.
- Local Huntsmen: A catch-all for the group of free agents and local militia who have gained the mark of Huntsmen but renounce any ties to the Academies.
- Bandits: Life in vacuo is harsh, but seemingly not harsh enough to stop people from taking what they will from their fellow man. Bandits are a common and insidious issue in the Vacuo especially due to the terrain proving excellent in deterring chase by authorities.
- The Wild Hunt: A particularly dastardly Bandit clan that formed about a decade ago, known for their propensity towards stirring fear and unrest in their targets so as to attract hoards of Grimm to either wipe out a settlement. . . or leave it weak, tired, and defenseless against a more coordinated raid. Of all the criminal organizations in the Kingdom, few are as feared or more wanted. They are also known as the Stains of Shade due to the fact that their leader, Scathanna Eagla, is a former student of the Academy.
- Auron Carver: An old hand at the game, Auron is one of the most experienced Huntsmen in Vacuo, with a record of immaculate success. . . and extensive property damage charges. He's loud, playful, and eccentric as one can expect, but he knows his stuff and cares deeply for those who fall under his care.
- Nivea Lanatae: A relatively green Huntress as far as field experience goes, she has shown herself to be a skilled fighter and even more adept tactician. However, perhaps due to her upbringing by her Valean parents, she finds some of the more draconian methods in which Shade shapes its Huntsman to be a tad extreme. Having been given the opportunity to teach some prospective students, she hopes to make use of a more empathetic and positive mentorship for them. that being said, she is a Vacuan local through and through, so if any of her students take advantage of her kindness, they will soon find themselves in for a world of hurt.
- Headmaster Theodore