Welcome to Recollections: Under the Sycamore Tree , another RP set in the supernatural horror/urban fantasy universe known as the Recollections universe. It is set in a strange and unique universe where magic reflects the core of its humanity and its emotions, beliefs, and thoughts. Under the Sycamore Tree, is a story about a group of teenagers who defeated an ancient and powerful entity known as The Stygian Snake. The Stygian Snake was a being that was near God-like in power and could manipulate darkness, use psychic abilities to enthrall and mentally debilitate, summon monsters, control time while in the shadows, and travel between dimensions. Thus, it was nigh-unstoppable, and no one in St. Portwell could contend with being in a one-on-one battle without being killed, becoming a thrall, or worse. The Stygian Snake terrorized the coastal Oregon city known as St. Portwell, and its endgame was to use the upcoming eclipse to ascend and reach Godhood.▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅ However, three girls (Ashley Stone, their leader; Daisy Hunter, the second in command; and Auri Auclair) banded a group of their magical peers together to defeat it and called themselves the Sycamore Tree Coven (or simply the Coven). They named themselves after the very sycamore tree that they formed the pact under and used an ancient weapon known as the Apparition Killer to weaken the Stygian Snake enough for them to seal the being in the namesake tree.
Afterward, they wiped their memories of the location of the tree. Other supernatural factions and beings flooded into St. Portwell and turned the otherwise mundane city into a paranormal hotspot... and warzone. The Sycamore Tree Coven attempted to be a significant player in the supernatural scene. Still, the group ultimately disbanded due to a mixture of clashing personalities, not liking the leadership, thinking magic is too dangerous, going to other organizations in St. Portwell, or simply moving on with their lives.Thus, the battle against the Stygian Snake became the most fantastic story never told, and few were even aware of the existence of the pact those brave children made under the Sycamore Tree. Ten years have passed, and suddenly, former members of the Coven were being murdered one by one (some of whom were on the other side of the planet) with a mysterious wolf idol carved out of sycamore appearing in their residence before they were killed. The straw that broke the camel's back was the murder of Ashley Stone and the disappearance of Daisy Hunter; thus, Auri Auclair called the former members of the Coven. A desperate call to whoever she could reach, and while many either didn't accept or ignored her, Auri managed to gather a group of her former Coven.
St. Portwell's magic scene changed, and now dozens of factions vied for city control. The newly reformed Sycamore Tree Coven has to navigate the factional drama while attempting to find just who is killing them and stop them. However, their murderer has a name... Father Wolf, and the rabbit hole is far deeper than they initially thought. This story is inspired by media such as Life is Strange, Dead by Daylight, Lakeview Cabin/Valley, Bakemonogatari, and Neon Genesis Evangelion. A fusion of genres, this RP will have themes of urban fantasy and horror (I call it Surreal-Urban Fantasy). However, it won't have an emphasis on horror or spooky vibes. This RP will be more about the fantastical side of magic as I try to weave an intense and complex storyline about the Coven and their trials and tribulations as they either rise to the top or fail like before. Thus, the RP will have several different storylines simultaneously, with some things built up over time. The theme will be siblinghood, companionship, and working with people you dislike. Above all else, its thematic will be Connections, Emotions, and Memories.RULES & NOTES_______________________________________________
1. First and foremost, I reserve the right to reject anyone from the RP and boot them out at any time. I hate to do this, and I will try to avoid it, but sometimes, some people are too disruptive to the RP or aren't a good fit and must be removed.
2. Please try to be respectful towards all other players.
3. The Recollections Universe is a dark off-urban fantasy set in the real world, so it'll be relatively realistic. I want all characters to make sense, have a realistic (or natural) faceclaim, etc. You can pretty much go crazy with any character of any sexuality, gender, race, religion, etc. Just stray away from sociopaths/psychopaths, please.
4. The tone of the RP will be relatively dark and brooding... not super gritty or edgy (only a little). It'll have plenty of dark moments and probably some pretty graphic moments - with occasional nudity. However, the absurdist humor inherent to the setting will offset it.
5. no "wip" sheets on the OOC. Post a complete sheet, or don't post anything at all. If you need something looked over, feel free to private message me. Speaking of which, the character tab is for accepted characters only.
6. Keep in mind that your character can die. If they make the wrong move, it can result in their death, and I will not jeopardize the story to save them.
7. You're allowed to have as many characters as you can handle... don't go too crazy. I want to keep it to about two characters max per person, but if you have a good idea, I'll allow more.
8. Keep in mind that this RP isn't quite a regular superpower RP (even though you'll ignore this); it's an off-urban fantasy with horror themes. It's a weird blend of thirty different genres, but that's beside the point. I want the abilities in this setting to be more grounded in magic, the fantastical, and the thematic over everything. I like abilities that somehow reflect the user, but I'd appreciate seeing how you interpret it. I would prefer if you stray away from scientific abilities like gravity/magnetism manipulation, but I will allow it if you insist.
9. Every character must be a member of the Old Sycamore Tree Coven and have participated in the battle against the Stygian Snake. I may allow a new member of the Coven if you run it by me.
10. I only describe the essential lore for character-making. That is because I like doing stuff from top-to-bottom, meaning I like to explore the supernatural world in character. Please let me know if you want any details about the lore for making a character.
11. The following abilities are banned: Magic Negation, "instant death" powers, reality-warping, anything with "Omni" attached to it, complete defense/indestructibility, and any other ridiculous ability. I will explain why if necessary.
12. This RP will strictly be "first come, first serve." I will not reserve any /characters/roles/etc, and they will go to whoever finishes their character sheet first. If there's a conflict over it, I will decide the outcome.
13. All I ask for is one post a week. Your character will be deemed inactive if it's been a week since your last post. Please be aware that once your character has been deemed inactive, I have free reign to control them, or they can be killed off.
14. The RP runs off of the Ambiguous Time Period. This means the RP will have aspects from different periods with no set year, so placing a specific period would be hard.
15. Don't fill out the weaknesses section of the character sheet. I'll fill that out for you!
16. This is optional, but I can write a magical power for your character. It'll be a fun little thing for both of us.
17. I would LOVE some clashing personalities in the cast to give credence to why the Coven broke up in the first place.
18. I'm going for a lower power level; think like "street level." Like I don't want characters throwing around buildings, but I want a focus on the wielder/esoteric abilities.
19. Some rules are so beaten into your head that it should be obvious. ...................................................................