Sophia of MouromAliases:
The Green SageTitles:
The Archdruid of Nalmor, the Warden of the Woods, and the Guardian of the Forbidden ForestAge:
25Place of Origin:
FemaleTime of Death:
~3,250+ years agoEyes:
Sophia has soft green eyes, bright emeralds that shine with equal parts fury and willpower.Hair:
Ever the pragmatist, Sophia keeps her black hair short, and only rarely does it reach to her shoulders.Day To Day Attire:
With the inhospitable wilderness and poor weather in mind, Sophia wears sturdy boots, leather breeches, a belt, a shirt with a warm jacket, gloves, and a fur-lined cloak with an ample hood. She carefully chooses and alters her clothes to help her blend in with the natural environment, favoring muted and neutral colors. If she is expecting trouble, which she often is, Sophia will don studded leather armor, having no interest in dying at the hand of some greedy bandit or minor monster.Strengths:
One with Nature, Master Shapeshifter, Thoughtful, CraftyWeaknesses:
Uncompromising, Vindictive, Bitter, Resigned
Pragmatic * Resilient * Moderately Wise * PatientSexuality:
Uncertain as Sophia is notoriously tight lipped about her preferences or past relationships.Relationship Status:
Single, it's not easy to keep a relationship going when you've been dead for a couple of centuries.Personality:
Full of vigor, guile, and an unwavering belief in the righteousness of her cause, Sophia is a fearsome protector of nature, dedicated to ridding the World free of the unnatural horrors that threaten the safety of all, no matter the cost, and no matter who stands in her way. Reflecting the patient fury of nature, Sophia does not erupt with fiery anger, but rather carefully plans her vengeance. She is slow to forget, slow to forgive, and uncompromising in the face of danger or death, having no interest in relativistic moralizing. Beneath an exterior, devoted solely to avenging the natural world, Sophia is as cool as a mountain river, carefully guarding her feelings and empathy towards others, finding little use for mercy. Stories, stories of ages long past, of cities now lost, of endless travels, and heroes once great will warm the usually chilly heart of the druid, and often even elicit a soft smile or polite laugh.
- Druidic Magic: Grandmaster A talented spellcaster worthy of being remembered far beyond her life, Sophia channels the power of nature into her spells, weaving the elements and fury of the wilderness into her magic. Famed for her ability to assume the shape of creatures both mundane and mystical, Sophia is seen by many as the high-water mark of druidic magic, recalling brighter, greener times.
- Wilderness Survival: Master A child of the forest, a daughter of the untamed wilderness, and a student of the unforgiving elements, Sophia is a capable survivalist, possessing instincts that rival the most hardy of beasts and the hard-earned lessons of generations of the finest druids that have walked across the forests of the World.
- Druidic Herbalism: Master While no alchemist, Sophia was trained by Alundo the Wise, one of the greatest sages of his era, and the young druid knows how to create a number of potions, poultices, and poisons using only natural ingredients.
- Simple Weapons: Expert Although she is a spellcaster and shapeshifter at heart, Sophia has nonetheless learned how to fight in a more mundane manner and she is proficient with simple weapons, such as clubs, daggers, maces, sickles, spears, morningstars, quarterstaffs, light and heavy crossbows, darts, and slings.
- Stealth: Expert Under the guidance of a friendly ranger, perhaps a tad too friendly if the stories are true, Sophia has learned how to move quietly, how to stay out of sight, and how to travel without leaving tracks behind.
- Lore: Journeyman More of a practically rather than classically trained druid, Sophia knows enough history and arcane lore to get by as a professional spellcaster, which is still better than most.
- Entangle: Enlisting roots, vines, thorns, weeds, and all manner of plants, Sophia can entangle her foes, rooting them in place, and keeping them at least temporarily busy.
- Summon Creature: Using her connection to nature, Sophia can summon creatures to her side, calling upon the creatures of nature to aid her. The great stories about the Archdruid, mention animals, fey creatures, magical beasts, elemental outsiders and even a giant or two has having been conjured out of the air by Sophia in order to tip the balance of a battle in her favor.
- Call Lightening: Favoring the raw power of the elements, Sophia is fond of calling down bolts of lightening to strike her foes.
- Shapechange: For all her magical aptitude and talent, Sophia is most remembered for her unparalleled ability to shapechange, allowing her to take the form of a wide variety of mundane and magical creatures.
Myth / Legend:
- Staff of the Woodlands: An enchanted staff of wood and bark, a legendary item said to grant the wielder with increased power when casting druidic magic and the luck or perhaps more accurately blessing of the forest itself. Rumors that the staff will summon a shambling mass of vegetation and death have followed the staff since it was created, eons ago, but remain unproven.
- Cloak of the High Forest: A cloak created out of leaves, bark, and carefully woven vines the Cloak of the High Forest shields Sophia from the elements, allowing her to remain remarkably dry and warm regardless of the weather, and also affords her a level of additional protection from sharp or pointy objects that might prove to be quite dangerous if they hit her.
- Amulet of Twigs: Around her neck Sophia wears a strange amulet of twigs, constructed from still-living branches of wood from the oldest tree in the Great Forest of Nalmor, the amulet is a reminder of home that Sophia always carries with her. More practically, the amulet lets Sophia communicate with trees, who are usually famed for their silence, and to assume the form of a large tree herself, allowing her to combat foes in the form of a rather terrifying treant.
An enigmatic figure, Sophia is chiefly remembered as a tireless protector of nature and as the guardian of the Great Forest of Nalmor, now remembered only as the Forbidden Forest, a place of shadows and strange beasts that threaten even the greatest of adventures.
Treatises still exist concerning her druidic magic, rumored to have been composed by the Archdruid herself, but few beyond the most dedicated of druids are still aware of them. To those that still wander the wilderness, Sophia is a legendary heroine, beseeched with whispered prayers and small offerings for safe passage. She is remembered as a savior of lost travelers, a constant menace to roving bandits, and a dark warrior reputed to have fought off the the occasional army that encroached upon her forests.
However, stories whispered discreetly and most carefully in Nalmor and the surrounding kingdoms, tell a far different and much darker story, speaking of a pact with denizens of the abyss and grim deeds carried out to avenge the diminishing forest that she gaurded. The purported destruction of the town of Dresd at the hands of the Archdruid, an epic tragedy still sung by the bards, is often cited as an example of Sophia's great capacity for violence, her mercilessness, and the great contempt she held for mankind.
The final and most famous story concerning the Green Sage, concerns her battle with the infamous artificer, Walter of Eldeen, an ambitious wizard that sought to forever change the World through the use of powerful magic and clockwork creations that were said to bristle with life and intelligence. In a storied tale, still well-regarded by both writers, historians, and the ever-fickle bards, Sophia rallied an army of rangers, druids, and woodland creatures to fight Walter of Eldeen, his metallic creations, and the many Nalmorian lords that had been swayed to his cause. The two years of fighting that followed, left Nalmor in ruins, cities were destroyed and entire forests were burned, reduced to nothing more than ash. Yet, in the end, Walter of Eldeen was defeated by the Green Sage, slain atop his great tower in the city of Tanom. Lost to the ages, most say, were his great works, hidden away by the powerful druid, beyond the grasp of greedy men.
Unfortunately for Nalmor, the Green Sage did not outlive her foe much longer, the victim of a fearful group of nobles, among them the King of Nalmor, Sophia was betrayed, and fell at the hands of the King's Guard while visiting the court of the King. Some say that with her dying breath the Green Sage cursed the lands, freezing the forest, and heralding the doom that would soon sweep across the lands.Parents:
Sophia's father, Roger, was a forester, a ranger with a deep respect for nature and the wilds which he patrolled. Her mother, Sara, was a herbalist, a talented druid in her own right, and the source of much of Sophia's earliest arcane training.Siblings:
The youngest of five siblings, Sophia had four older brothers (Johan, a blacksmith, Edwin, a forester like their father, Robert, a carpenter, and Wilhelm, an innkeeper)Childhood:
Sophia was born in the small city of Mourom, found at the edges of the Kingdom of Nalmor, on the very edges of the Great Forest of Radia, now remembered only as the Forbidden Forest. The young druid had a happy childhood, recalling only endlessly happy days spent exploring the forest with her brothers, learning the how to live off the land under the supervision of her parents, and nursing a growing goodwill with the ancient trees of the forest. Unlike her older siblings, who were hopeless spellcasters at the best of times, Sophia had always shown a marked talent for druidic magic and for as long as she could remember, her mother had carefully, gently taught her the magic of the forest. When she neared her eleventh year, she left her home to be initiated in the druidic mysteries, falling under the tutelage of the great sage Alundo the Wise. Perhaps the finest druid of the age, Alundo the Wise, taught the ways of the forest, how to channel the might of nature in her spellcasting, and rare even for a druid, he taught Sophia how to change her form, adopting the shape and powers of a great number of creatures. It was also during her time with Alundo the Wise that Sophia first met or rather summoned her animal companion, a badger, Sir Thomas, simply known as Thomas at the time, forging a deep bond of friendship with the fearsome creature. Having finally proven herself to her cautious master in her eighteenth year, accompanied only by Sir Thomas, Sophia left the forest she had known for all her life, to wander the lands of the World, to protect the forests, and to fight the great evils that threatened the land, in short, to fulfill the duties of a proper druid.Adulthood:
Sophia spent her adulthood traveling across the forests of Nalmor, righting wrongs, deepening her connection with nature, and trying protect the forests with which she was so attuned. Soon enough stories of the Green Sage, the Archdruid of Nalmor, the Warden of the Woods, and the Guardian of the Forbidden Forest began to travel across the lands, far beyond the Kingdom of Nalmor. Along with her trusty knightly badger, Sir Thomas, Sophia performed heroic deeds both small and large, aiding those in need, often lost travelers, fighting roving bandits that dared to threaten the forests or the paths that moved through them, and protecting the Kingdom of Nalmor itself from invading armies, usually greedy sellswords, keen to loot and pillage the rich kingdom.
Despite her youth, in the course of her travels, the Green Sage founded one of the largest and most influential of the druidic sects that still exists in the World, though the venerable order has long since fallen from grace and now exists only as a small collection of barely functioning councils across the lands. The so-called Green Order, the Green Sage and her order sought to defend nature against aberrations, outsiders, the undead, and other unnatural horrors, as well as the threat posed by greedy and careless humans. Originally made up of Nolmarians, over the centuries their influence spread to other kingdoms, until the power of the order and their numbers began to wane shortly before the time of Sirrah and the Renegades. During the War of the Coin-Purses, the Wardens became the de facto governing body of the Tassamlor Reaches after High Lord Luitther abandoned the region. The Wardens rallied the people to defend their lands against bandit raiders and foreign nations with designs on their abundant woodlands and plains of the Kingdom of Nalmor.
It was at the height of her power and influence, that the Green Sage would come into conflict with the artificer Walter of Eldeen, favored servant and wizard of the King of Nalmor. A powerful wizard, gifted not just in the arcane arts, but in the ways of metal and invention, Walter of Eldeen sought to modernize the lands, to bring free the kingdom from the shackles of stagnation and to bring light to the very heart of the Great Forest. The struggle of will and might, between the Green Sage, and the self-styled Great Artificer, that followed is legendary and resulted in great suffering and an untold number of deaths and threatened to plunge the Kingdom of Nalmor into the abyss.
When the fighting ceased, Walter of Eldeen and countless of his allies were dead, buried in the ruins of his enchanted tower. However, triumph for the Green Sage was short-lived and the Archdruid met her end soon after, betrayed by the very king she claimed to serve, no longer seen as a savior but a threat to the kingdom itself.
However, as the centuries passed, stories of the Green Sage as a rebel upstart, a dangerous monster, and terrible avenger of nature were quickly replaced by stories of the Green Sage as an enigmatic forest guardian, a protector of the lost, and a guardian of the knowledge of the forest.Special Moments:
Forming a bond with her animal companion, learning her first spell, her first kiss, her time spent under the tutelage of Alundo the Wise, shapeshifting for the first time, saving the city of Ardare and the surrounding forest from mercenaries hired by the Kingdom of Feroth, and her final battle against the infamous artificer, Walter of Eldeen.Current Events:
* ☠ Enemy * ⚜ Unfriendly * ☯ Neutral * ☮ Friends * ღ Ally * ♥ Crush/Significant Other *
- Sir Thomas: ღ Ally Sophia trusts no one as much as she trusts her constant companion and stalwart ally, Sir Thomas the badger. Together with the diminutive knight, she has fought countless battles, defeated scores of bandits, saved lost travelers, and seen wondrous sights that are forever etched into her memory.
- Name: Description
- Name: Description
- Name: Description
- Name: Description
- Name: Description
"What do you mean badgers aren't allowed inside?" and less frequently, "Touch that tree again and you die!"Theme Song: It's a Wild WorldAura Color:
Raw pine and soft earth, fresh wood, cedar, and vibrant leaves.Anything Else: