“I don't mind the Irish and the Blacks. Men is men, and men is worth fightin' for.”
Leonardo 'Pinky' SinistruomoEthnicity
Lombardi - with strong Socialist sympathiesRank
A pretty-boy, with nice skin and rich, dark hair. He's got a good body, lean and strong, and a charming smile with perfect teeth. However, it's nearly wholly ruined by a patchwork of scars around his right eye, where a Fascist soldier tried to dig it out with a bayonet in a knife fight. Furthermore his left hand is wrinkled and puffed with scar tissue too, and the pinky finger is entirely gone, after a close call with a hand grenade. That's where he got his nickname.Personality Traits
Skills & Talents
- Optimist - Not quite on the wide eyed idealist level, but almost. He sees the best in people, and in things,
and while he's never been blind to injustice, he has enough faith in people that he is confident we will one day live in a fair society.
- A Tolerant Man - He harbours no racial hatred, nor sexist bias. He remains realistic, of course, but his brushes with the Italian socialists have stripped him of much of his former inegalitarian ideals.
- The Lover - What can I say? He falls in love easily, and is unshakeable in his attraction. Right now, he's still dreaming of someone he met in Italy on his tour of duty.
- Pinko - To his core. He owes the Left his life, and would pay that debt in service to their cause.
- Triggerman - His service with the army has left him with the typical skills of a distinguished combat veteran.
As such, he is an expert with most firearms, provided it's nothing to esoteric he's dealing with.
- Moonlight Sawbones - He's got a rough grasp of surgery and emergency medicine, a skill he picked up from one of the hard-left resistance fighters he met during his tour - though to say it's only a rough grasp doesn't really do it justice. He can save a life, not make them stand up and fight again.
- Things that go bang in the fight - He's blown shit up, and he will again.
- Squad Tactics - The reason he's a sergente, rather than another dumb grunt - if you'll forgive the harsh terminology. His time in the army saw him rise to the rank of Sergeant, and the mafia recognised this when he joined up after he got his purple heart.
- A Heart of Red - Ultimately, his political convictions win out over everything else, except maybe that girl back in Italy. It's gonna get him killed if he makes it seem serious enough.
- That Girl - Speaking of that girl, she's the one thing he'd give everything else up for. If not for the Lombardis, or the left, everything he does is for her.
- A dominant hand, lost - Not lost, but damaged. His pinky is gone, and the rest of his hand has reduced mobility now. What's worse is that he was originally a leftie.
He was born to the strange and unorthodox union of a mafia soldier and a rogue nun. Despite this, he was never particularly into the criminal scene, nor the religious one, and actually joined the army voluntarily long before the war began.
He was never the patriotic sort either, of course, they just offered to pay for his college, and college was what he was looking for. He was re-enlisted as part of his reserves duty when the war broke out, however, shortly after graduating with a bachelor's in English literature. This tour would take him into the heart of Italy, his genetic home country. It was a rough ride, fraught with danger and close encounters with the fascist dictator's military clout. He sustained injuries to his eye during one knife fight, and would eventually be shipped home after losing a finger and the use of his hand to a hand grenade, but between one and the other he was able to rack up an impressive 25 kills, and 13 assists, getting himself promoted to Staff Sergeant for a combination of education, valour under fire, and indomitable loyalty to the army.
One fateful night, his platoon was attacked by Italian forces in the dead of night, and half of them were killed before they even had the time to grab their guns. They were halved again before they'd even started shooting back, and were down to a few men who managed to duck behind a nearby car's engine block in the 30 seconds that had elapsed. It is without doubt that he would have been killed then, were it not for the valiant efforts of a local resistance cell that had, until then, gone without notice to either the Americans or the fascists.
They were partigiane combattenti and they were, naturally, communists. Among them was Bella Blucielo, the woman he was destined to fall head over heels in love with - and she saved him personally that night, and again twice in the months that followed, as the surviving Americans were inducted into la resistenza following the total fascist takeover of their district, and the loss of any opportunity to return them to their main force.
During those months, two things blossomed where there had once been a void - Leon's faith in the work of Marx, and the derivatives thereof, with natural exception to the fascist Stalin, and his love for Bella. In fact, while the debt is hardly paid as she'd already saved him thrice, he nearly lost that hand when he was throwing a grenade away from her during their last operation. Said operation was successful, of course, and ended with Staff Sgt. Sinistruomo's return to the American military -
and his subsequent honourable discharge.
To this day, a big part of what gets him through life is his last promise to her.
"Questo non è arrivederci, mi amor."
From there, he took work where he could find it, and that naturally led him to the Lombardis, as it had his father before him. It was just a coincidence that their belief in Unity appealed just slightly to his closet-marxist.