Clockwork & Anima
– a Lasers & Feelings hackCreate a Character
1. Choose a Score for your character from 2 to 5. A low number means you are better at Anima (intuition, persuasion, improvisation, reflexive physical coordination, focusing on the moment, acting human, passionate action). A high number means you're better at Clockwork (logic, machinery, planning, fighting, focusing on the big picture, looking human, calm/precise action).
2. Choose your Style: Brutal, Dangerous, Dauntless, Devious, Disingenuous, Flashy, Furtive, Lofty, Noble, Obsessed, Resourceful, Sexy, Shrewd, Stoic, or pick one of your own. (See definitions below.)
3. Choose your Training: Artist, Assassin, Bravo, Chemist, Courtier, Hunter, Mechanician, Mystic, Sneakthief, Soldier, or pick one of your own. (See definitions below.)
4. Choose your Word: This word is an intrinsic part of your anima, your primal source of motivation and worldview. Choose Champion, Charity, Curiosity, Empathy, Fairness, Faith, Guardianship, Justice, Kindness, Logic, Loyalty, Revenge, Righteousness, Truth, Victory, or pick one of your own. (See definitions below.)
5. Choose your name. Also choose the nationality, age, and gender you appear to be.
6. Once the group is together, you'll choose two Group Advantages: Bad-Ass Reputation, Connected, Lucky, Safe-house, Stylish, Well-Provisioned. You'll also choose one Drawback: Off-Putting, Hunted, Indebted, Poor, Unlucky.Doing Things
When you want to do something risky, roll 1d6 and find out how it goes according to the table below.
- Add 1d6 if you are doing something that falls clearly within your Training.
- Add 1d6 if you are prepared, or if you are attempting something clearly in your Style (you don't get 2d6 if you are prepared and it's within your Style).
- Subtract 1d6 if what you want to do is clearly against the force of your Word. (If you only have a total of 1d6 and earn this subtraction, roll 1d6 twice and take the least favorable result.)
For Anima, each die that you roll over your Score counts as a Success.
For Clockwork, each die you roll under your Score counts as a Success.
0 Successes = It goes wrong. You fail. Things get worse.
1 Success = You barely manage, but with a complication, harm, or cost.
2 Successes = You do it well. A complete success.
3 Successes = Critical success! A beneficial bonus effect occurs.
Each die you roll that matches your Score gives you an Insight or a Flashback (your choice). For each match you roll, you can ask me one question:
An Insight lets you ask one question pertaining to current events (for example: What is the best way to _______? Who should we be wary of? What is he really feeling? How can I get them to ______? Why is this item important?). I will provide you information that at last partially answers the question.
A Flashback lets you ask one question pertaining to your past as it relates to the current situation (for example: Why is this person hostile to me? Who taught me how to _____? Have I ever been in this place/situation before? Have I ever met this person? How did I learn this skill?) I will then post a Flashback scene that at least partially answers the question.
Occasionally, you may ask a question I can't answer due to its impact on the story. If that's the case, I'll elt you know and give you the chance to ask a different question.StylesBrutal
– If something has to be said or done, then you do it in the most effective way possible, without concern for its effects on others.Dangerous
- Your body language screams that you are lethal or toxic. Others avoid you or try to keep you happy.Dauntless
– Quit? Turn back? Wait and see? Pfah!Devious
– Why confront a problem directly when you can misdirect, obfuscate, mislead, and subtly manipulate others instead?Disingenuous
– You have a talent for making others underestimate you. Your aura of ineffectualness is what makes you so effective.Flashy
– There are two ways to do anything: the normal way and the cool way. Why would you ever choose normal? Furtive
– Your goals are easier to accomplish when no one is watching. You can often go unnoticed and use distractions.Lofty
– You have a regal bearing. You naturally make others feel a bit inferior. People tend to follow your commands and assume you know what you're doing.Obsessed
– When something catches your fancy, it is difficult to stop you from achieving/possessing it. Your focus is nigh-unshakeable.Resourceful
– You can use your environment to pragmatically and ingeniously achieve your goals. Sexy
– You are charismatic and move well. You know how to inflame the desire of others and use it to your advantage. Shrewd
– You are wicked smart, but play things close to the vest. You use observation and logic to gain advantage.Stoic
– You are a person of few words who can suffer calamities without revealing your feelings. You are difficult to read at all times.TrainingArtist
– You can create works of art and artifice using paint, clay, marble, ink, textiles, etc. You have a piercingly discriminating eye for detail. You are excellent at disguise.Assassin
– You specialize in the art of killing with surgical precision. whether you are stabbing someone in broad daylight or slitting a throat in a dark boudoir, you know how to get close to a target and slip away afterwards. Bravo
– You are adept at ungentlemanly forms of combat, brawling, and various dirty tricks. You are comfortable on the meaner streets of any town, and can make contacts with others of your kind.Chemist
– You have learned formulas for making potions, powders, salves, etc. and causing chemical reactions. You are good at finding and collecting raw materials for various concoctions.Courtier
– You are well-versed in courtly etiquette, manners, style, and proper address and behavior. You can identify the important people at a gathering, and analyze the power dynamic of a group. You know how to deliver subtle bribes and exchange favors.Hunter
– You are comfortable in the wilderness, and able to survive outside of the confines of civilization. You are an expert tracker and skilled at killing from a distance. You are also an expert at setting traps and snares.Mechanician
– You have an uncanny ability and vision for constructing mechanical devices, and can repair such devices as well (including avtomat).Mystic
– You know how to use your body as a weapon, and are gifted with exceptional agility. You are also learned in history and philosophy.Sneakthief
- You have mastered the art of stealthily acquiring objects without the knowledge or permission of their owners. This includes finding and removing, disabling, or circumventing the safeguards people place on their possessions. You also know of how to dispose of such goods for profit, and how to acquire things via the black market.Soldier
– You know how to fight with weapons of all kinds, especially swords and black powder arms. You understand tactics and can assess opponents' strengths and weaknesses.