"Abandon all hope, ye who enter here."
The above quote inspired the start of this multi-RP universe. Originally confined to just the RP for which it gets its name, Abandoned Hope, this universe now includes stories from different times, different genres, and different themes. From superhero action oriented roleplays to hauntingly deadly pirate tales, the Abandoned Hope Universe is an experimental and thrilling process, similar in many ways to the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
Its timeline and characters stem from both established roleplays and films that have been made cannon within the universe, allowing for one's imagination to run wild. Not all roleplays have to connect, but there will always be subtle little easter eggs and the potential to meet characters once more. There are always more stories to tell and more worlds to explore.
Below are the established roleplays in this universe. Primarily, these roleplays are run by @Morose and @BlueSky44, with @Nallore beginning her first venture into this shared universe. At the moment, no other GMs can run a RP that can be considered Abandoned Hope 'Verse cannon.
- Strange New Waters - April 1719
- The Alucard Institute for Peculiar Youth - May 2016
- Abandoned Hope - June 2016
- The Horrors of Coventry - December 2016
- X-Men: Darkness Rising - January 2019
The timeline shown below is by no means definitive. It reflects the current state of the Abandoned Hope Universe, and in order to eliminate spoilers, does not record events that have yet to occur in RP. Events listed below are from one of two sources: universe RPs or events declared to be cannon in the universe. RPs included in the Abandoned Hope Universe have been listed above and this is not intended as a summary of events--instead, treat it as an overview.
However, events that have been stated to be cannon draw from two primary pieces of source material: Phase One Marvel Cinematic Universe Films and the Apocalypse Season of Supernatural. All Marvel movies made up to and including the first Avengers Film can be considered cannon; the same is not true for Marvel television shows. As for Supernatural, the general storyline of the Apocalypse season has been considered cannon. In each case, the timeline taken by the source material (obviously) diverges as it becomes a part of the Abandoned Hope Universe.
It is possible that more source material will be added.
- 1662 - Coventry is founded by Tobias Fairfax
- 1691 - Tobias Fairfax's child turns 17 years old and Coventry burns to the ground
- 1719 - Deviances are discovered and are thought to be the powers of gods
- 1719 - Captain Avery Swale drowns on dry land after accepting a job from Mr. Alucard
- April 4th, 1719 - Strange New Waters
- April 4th, 1719 - Elias Smith crumbles into ashes and dies in the Twelve Daggers Tavern
- April 13th, 1773 - The town of Red Lake was founded by Avery Johnson
- November 26th, 1780 - A dispute between the settlers of Red Lake and the local Native American tribes within the area, causing the death of its founder
- June 1st, 1785 - Tensions worsen to war, almost destroying Red Lake as well as the tribe
- June 2nd 1786 - Ceasefire is negotiated peace is made.
- March 30th, 1939 - Stark Industries is founded by Howard Stark
- June 23rd, 1943 - Steve Rogers is given a serum by Abraham Erksine, creating the world's first super soldier
- March 4th, 1945 - Steve Rogers, known as Captain America, goes missing and is presumed dead
- January 1949 - The Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement, Logistics Division is founded by Peggy Carter, Howard Stark, and Chester Philips
- December 16th, 1991 - Stark Industries Owner and CEO Howard Stark, and his wife Maria, die in a car accident
- July 24th, 1995 - Natasha Romanoff joins Russia's espionage facility and becomes one of the world's finest assassins
- January 31st, 1998 - Natasha Romanoff joins S.H.I.E.L.D. after recruitment by Clint Barton
- April 16th, 2005 - Dr. Bruce Banner mutates into the Hulk after testing the serum created by the Bio-Tech Force Enhancement Project on himself
- July 4th, 2008 - The Wolves of Red Lake
- 2009 - Lucifer escapes from his cage for the first time and begins to summon the Four Horsemen to him
- 2010 - Lucifer attempts to infect humanity with the croatoan virus; the Four Horsemen continue to attack humanity, though unseen
- 2010 - The Winchester brothers defeat Lucifer and return him to the cage
- January 24th, 2010 - Tony Stark is kidnapped in Afghanistan by an organization called the Ten Rings and held captive for three months
- October 25th, 2010 - Billionaire Tony Stark announces himself as Iron Man
- April 24th, 2011 - Pepper Potts becomes the CEO of Stark Industries
- May 31th, 2011 - 'The Stark Expo Incident' in which the Iron Man battled Whiplash and caused damage to New York City in the process
- June 2nd, 2011 - Video footage of a raging green monster goes viral on the internet, earning the being the nickname 'the Incredible Hulk'
- June 2nd, 2011 - S.H.I.E.L.D. covers up a battle involving Thor in a small town in New Mexico and begins phase 2 weapons development
- June 4th, 2011 - In New York City, Harlem suffers damage from an incident involving the Hulk
- April 14th, 2012 - Steve Rogers' crashed plane is found and he is safely recovered by S.H.I.E.L.D. agents
- May 1st, 2012 - A S.H.I.E.L.D. facility in the Mojave desert is destroyed
- May 4th, 2012 - The Battle of New York, often referred to as the Incident, in which humans discovered the existence of aliens; hundreds perish in the fighting
- May 13th, 2016 - October Crypt and Carolina Reed begin summer term at the Alucard Institute for Peculiar Youth
- June 20th, 2016 - Abandoned Hope
- June 20th, 2016 - The Altsoba Massacre begins
- June 20th, 2016 - Liam Matthews awakens as a Prophet of the Lord
- June 21st, 2016 - The Rise of the Witnesses occurs, as the dead rise and attempt to kill the living in Altsoba
- June 21st, 2016 - Lucifer escapes the cage for the second time and takes the vessel of Amy Chang
- June 21st, 2016 - Eudora Erebus kills the antichrist
- June 21st, 2016 - Jade Cornish kills Lucifer and ends the Altsoba Massacre
- June 22nd, 2016 - The Organization for the Eradication of Necromantics is founded in the wake of the Altsoba Massacre
- July 4th, 2016 - Owen's Field Cemetery is dedicated, named for Darren Owen Andres, and those killed in the Altsoba Massacre are laid to rest
- October 31st, 2016 - The Winchester Brothers, the leaders of O.M.E.N., vanish; their bodies are found later after the murders of Sal Aldrich and Fiodora Valeska
- December 28th, 2016 - The Horrors of Coventry
- December 28th, 2016 - Seraphina Addams is murdered; Several Altsoba survivors find themselves falling in and out of portals through time
- May 21st, 2018 - The wreckage of the Bellona is found off the coast of Puerto Rico
- May 2018 - MI13 scientists develop strange and abnormal abilities after contact with the wreckage
- January 8th, 2019 - X-Men: Darkness Rising
- January 8th, 2019 - The X-Men and S.H.I.E.L.D. Agents Stark and Reed combat the Brotherhood of Mutants at the Hanson Power Plant in Washington D.C.
In the Abandoned Hope Universe, we have known that we were not alone in the world since 2012, due to the Incident. Aliens are real, powered individuals are possible, and anything else? It is the stuff of fiction, of Harry Potter novels and horror flicks. But of course, that is the public perception, largely due to the efforts of MI13, O.M.E.N., and S.H.I.E.L.D. The world just isn't ready to know about what else is real, causing the Altsoba Massacre to be deemed an event driven by religious paranoia and hallucinogenics. Nothing abnormal at all. Had the Incident been less public, it would have been covered up and hidden as well.
According to O.M.E.N., a being with supernatural and inhuman capabilities is called a necromantic. This can range from enhanced humans, such as Steve Rogers, all the way to the most darkest and complex of creatures, such as Azrael, the Angel of Death. And while this term is used in most government documents, there are other terms that are more specific and demonstrate improved understanding of the situation. The universe is a strange one, one that we can hardly understand.
Below is our attempt to explain something that is, within itself, nearly unexplainable. But remember, magic is simply science that we do not yet understand. This lore will be updated as more is revealed and explained.
Previously, any and all powers and abilities were simply referred to as deviances. If someone was perhaps a little odd, in that they could see things that others could not, perhaps that they could heal with a single touch, or that they were immune to flames, they were said to have a deviance. Years after the Altsoba Massacre, this definition was revoked and revised, as we realized that it is simply more complicated than that.
Deviances, as they are now understood, refer to (often) extraordinary abilities that distinguish someone from the average human. However, these are not differences on a biological or genetic level. While these can be small things, such as a sixth sense when it comes to healing and knowing what is wrong with the patient, it can be as dramatic as pyrokinesis. Deviances are a result of the shattering of the Cursed Flask in 1719, the shards which were recovered in 2018 by MI13. The flask's contents were said to grant immeasurable power, and with the contents mixing into the air in trace amounts, individuals can sometimes acquire slight abilities from exposure. There is currently no method of explaining why some people gain a deviance and others do not, however. This area of research is still relatively new.
Mutants, also called homo superior, are powered individuals who gain their abilities due to an X-gene. This gene is something that is simply part of their genetic makeup from birth. It can be activated when the individual is subjected to great stress, often during puberty or traumatic moments. It's important to understand that while a mutant's powers can be called a mutation, they were born mutants. They did not mutate throughout the course of their lifetime.
Mutates are those who, as the name implied, mutated to gain powers. This is often due to the presence of electromagnetic radiation outside of the visible spectrum. Encounters with radioactive waste would certainly qualify. It is possible for those with an X-gene to mutate when exposed to radiation or other materials, but it is uncommon and also effectively 'neutralizes' the X-gene.
Inhumans, also called inhomo supremis, are individuals who are descended by unfortunate souls who were experimented on and had their genetic code modified. This unorthodoxy in genetics can be activated through a process called terringenesis, in which the inhuman emerges from something akin to a cocoon with newfound abilities and powers.
We are not alone in this world by any means. The creatures included here are those encountered thus far in the Abandoned Hope Universe, either directly or by simply mentioning them. As you'll notice, not all of them have complete information. Those indicated by an asterisk are ones that only those with extensive knowledge of necromantics (creatures, in this case) will be aware of. Some of those included below have more details than others. All that means is there is more to learn and discover in future roleplays~
- The first of their species.
- Highest order immortal.
- They require their host's permission for possession.
- To fall, an angel must rip out their grace, an incredibly painful process.
- Fallen angels are reborn as humans, yet are still able to hear the thoughts of angels around them. This is sometimes called 'angel radio.'
- Some of the first born angels, there are a limited number of them.
- They are advanced immortals.
- Each archangel has a specific purpose, a role to play in the cosmic scene.
- Archangels are tasked with protecting Prophets of the Lord.
- Known archangels include Sariel, the Archangel of Guidance, and Lucifer, the Morning Star.
- Similarly to angels, archangels also must have permission in order to possess an individual.
- Ghost sickness will kill a human within 48 hours, yet will speed up the more wicked a person is.
- It can only be cured by destroying the buruburu (the original ghost).
- Only those with a personality trait or physical trait similar to the original ghost can catch Ghost Sickness
- They have the ability to copy and mimic voices.
- They feed on flesh.
- Davy Jones:
- The condemned captain of the Flying Dutchman
- Rules the Seven Seas
- Men can make deals with him, similar to the contracts made with demons
- An immortal being, ranking on the highest order of mortality.
- Also referred to as the angel Azrael.
- Highest order immortal.
- Devil's Trap: prevents a demon from leaving
- Holy Water: burns demons
- Exorcism: There are several differently styles of this, but all of them remove the demon from the host. Some will send the demon to hell, others will force the demon to manifest itself so it can be killed or sent to hell permanently.
- Flesh Sigil: If a sigil is carved into the host's flesh, the demon will be powerless
- Ghosts: Ghosts can remove a demon from its host
- Hallowed Ground: Some demons are unable to enter hallowed ground, such as churches. These tend to be the weaker ones.
- Hex Bags: these can hide people from a demon
- Holy Fire: Holy oil lit on fire, it roasts a demon.
- Iron: Demons cannot cross an iron barrier or touch iron without extreme pain
- Palo Santo: Stab the demon with this, the host smokes and the demon cannot move
- Damaging the host may force the demon to choose a new host, or be slowed down
- Purified Blood: This, when injected into a demon, is incredibly painful.
- Salt: Demons cannot step over salt, pass a salt line, or touch salt. Touching salt results in (you guessed it) extreme pain.
- Demons can be cured through the Demon Purification Ritual.
- Demons can be killed by angel blades.
- Demons will flinch and have their eyes turn black when the name of the Lord is spoken.
- Similar to genies.
- An advanced immortal being.
- The Mother of All Monsters.
- Salt and iron can stop them.
- Burning their bones will kill them.
- They require an anchor to the world to exist.
- An immortal being of the highest order.
- Existence is uncertain.
- Made of clay.
- A legendary sea monster that preys upon ships
- Supposedly responsible for the deaths in the Bermuda Triangle
- Children of Azrael, the Angel of Death
- Removal of a kumakatok's cloak will stun it, and if prolonged, kill it
- True death of a kumakatok requires burning of the cloak and will rip a permanent hole in the fabric of reality
- Kumakatok knock on the door of a person fated to die one day before
- Vulnerable to iron and salt
- Advanced immortal beings.
- Monstrous and deadly.
- Hybrid mixture of a vampire and a ghoul.
- Pagan Deities:*
- A Qareen will appear to be an incredibly beautiful person.
- They seduce and then devour their master's target.
- They are controlled by means of their heart.
- If the heart is stabbed, they perish.
- They feed on human flesh.
- They must be invited inside.
- They can assume any shape or form.
- Vampires can be killed with a stake to the heart.
- Fire destroys their body quickly.
- Sunlight exposure kills them
- Vampires can be killed by having their heads cut off
- Holy items burn vampires
- Garlic repels vampires.
- Silver will kill or weaken a werewolf
- Wolfsbane will weaken or repel a werewolf
- They are territorial
- Naturally aggressive/easily triggered
- They work in packs or groups of two
- Infection can be spread by a werewolf from either a bite or scratch will turn someone into a werewolf
- Heightened senses (smell, hear, taste, sight and touch)
- Human form is considerably weaker.
- When weakened they revert back to human form
- Older werewolves have full control on their transformation
- All werewolves transform during the full moon.
- Near immortal--extremely long lifespan.
- Witches can be taken down with iron.
- They require hex bags or DNA to complete their long, complicated rituals.
- They have sold their souls to the devil.
A majority of the characters in the Abandoned Hope Universe have been included below, yet some have inevitably been left off the list. This is either because they appeared to little in the storyline, were only referenced, or I simply forgot about them in the creation of this guide. Ideally, this will be updated over time - but it will also be constantly out of date.
Characters have been listed below in alphabetical order by last name, including the roleplays they appear in and the roleplayers who created them.
- Adams, Emmie - The Horrors of Coventry - Faceclaim: Alexis Ren - Played by @Nallore - Alive
- Adams, Seraphina - Abandoned Hope, The Horrors of Coventry - Faceclaim: Anna Kendrick - Played by @Nallore - Deceased
- Adder, Lysander - Abandoned Hope - Faceclaim: Clark Gregg - Played by @Morose - Deceased
- Adder, Vivian - Abandoned Hope - Faceclaim: Katie Cassidy - Played by @Morose - Deceased
- Aldrich, Andromeda - The Horrors of Coventry - Faceclaim: Rose McIver - Played by @Morose - Alive
- Aldrich, Sal - The Horrors of Coventry - Faceclaim: Unknown - NPC - Deceased
- Alucard - Strange New Waters - Faceclaim: Hugh Jackman - NPC - Alive
- Andrews, Allison - X-Men: Darkness Rising - Faceclaim: Kaley Cuoco - Played by @FantasyChic - Alive
- Andrews, Darren - Abandoned Hope - Faceclaim: Chris Hemsworth - Played by @Pundii - Deceased
- Antichrist - Abandoned Hope - Faceclaim: Unknown - NPC - Deceased
- Ashworth, Cecily - Abandoned Hope - Faceclaim: Elizabeth Olsen - NPC - Deceased
- Anderson, Jacob - Abandoned Hope - Faceclaim: Gerard Butler - NPC - Deceased
- Aster, Alexander - The Horrors of Coventry - Faceclaim: Jason Ralph - Played by @hagroden - Deceased
- Azrael - Abandoned Hope - Faceclaim: Unknown - NPC - Alive
- Barnes, Chase - Abandoned Hope - Faceclaim: Darren Criss - NPC - Deceased
- Baynard, Jonathan - Strange New Waters - Faceclaim: Luke Evans - Played by @Dark Light - Alive
- Blackwood, Alice - Strange New Waters - Faceclaim: Amanda Seyfried - NPC - Alive
- Brighton, Howard - Abandoned Hope - Faceclaim: Tom Ellis - Played by @Morose - Deceased
- Byrd, Adriana - Abandoned Hope - Faceclaim: Meghan Ory - NPC - Deceased
- Carpenter, Zachary - Abandoned Hope - Faceclaim: Colin Ferguson - Played by @BlueSky44 - Deceased
- Chang, Amy - Abandoned Hope - Faceclaim: Cristina Yang - Played by @Lady Amalthea - Deceased
- Chase, Bonnie - The Alucard Institute for Peculiar Youth - Faceclaim: Skyler Samuels - Played by @Morose - Alive
- Clarke, Millicent - Strange New Waters - Faceclaim: Bridget Regan - Played by @FantasyChic - Alive
- Cornish, Jade - Abandoned Hope - Faceclaim: Krysten Ritter - Played by @Morose - Alive
- Countess Elisse - Abandoned Hope - Faceclaim: Unknown - Played by @Pirouette - Unknown
- Crypt, Belladonna - Abandoned Hope - Faceclaim: Anjelica Huston - Played by @Lady Amalthea - Alive
- Crypt, Javier - Abandoned Hope - Faceclaim: Pedro Pascal - Played by @Pundii - Alive
- Crypt, October - The Alucard Institute for Peculiar Youth - Faceclaim: Ella Purnell - Played by @Morose - Alive
- Crypt, Mercurial - Abandoned Hope - Faceclaim: Melissa Hunter - Played by @Morose - Alive
- Fairfax, John - The Horrors of Coventry - Faceclaim: Blake Silver - NPC - Alive
- Hanson, Walter - Abandoned Hope, The Horrors of Coventry - Faceclaim: Joel Kinnaman - NPC - Alive
- Hawthorne, Elizabeth - Abandoned Hope - Faceclaim: Katherine McNamara - Played by @Sohtem - Deceased
- Holder, Norman - The Horrors of Coventry - Faceclaim: Unknown - NPC - Alive
- Hunter, Samantha - Abandoned Hope - Faceclaim: Emma Watson - Played by @Nallore - Deceased
- Ikaria, Sirena - Strange New Waters - Faceclaim: Katheryn Winnick - Played by @mnkee - Alive
- Isaak, Steven - The Horrors of Coventry - Faceclaim: Stan Lee - NPC - Alive
- Isley, Elissa - Strange New Waters - Faceclaim: Penélope Cruz - Played by @BlueSky44 - Alive
- Isley, Marygold - X-Men: Darkness Rising - Faceclaim: Holland Roden - Played by @BlueSky44 - Alive
- Jackson, Oshea - X-Men: Darkness Rising - Faceclaim: Unknown - Played by @Afro Samurai - Alive
- Jamila - Abandoned Hope - Faceclaim: Margot Robbie - NPC - Deceased
- James, Harlianne - Strange New Waters - Faceclaim: Clara Paget - Played by @Morose - Alive
- Johnson, Olivia - The Horrors of Coventry - Faceclaim: Amber Heard - Played by @Nallore - Alive
- Keenan, Carbry - The Horrors of Coventry - Faceclaim: Ben McKenzie - NPC - Alive
- Maehers, Thalia - The Horrors of Coventry - Faceclaim: Unknown - Played by @BlueSky44 - Alive
- Matthews, Liam - Abandoned Hope, The Horrors of Coventry - Faceclaim: Jake Gyllenhaal - Played by @Pundii - Alive
- Martin, Trevor - Abandoned Hope - Faceclaim: Mathew Gray Gubler - Played by @BlueSky44 - Deceased
- McCoy, Hank - X-Men: Darkness Rising - Faceclaim: Kelsey Grammer - NPC - Alive
- Maximoff, Pietro - X-Men: Darkness Rising - Faceclaim: Evan Peters - NPC - Alive
- Maximoff, Wanda - X-Men: Darkness Rising - Faceclaim: Elizabeth Olsen - NPC - Alive
- Mephistopheles - Abandoned Hope, The Horrors of Coventry, The Alucard Institute for Peculiar Youth - Faceclaim: Unknown - NPC - Alive
- Mitsukuri, Katsumi - Abandoned Hope - Faceclaim: Karen Fukuhara - Played by @BlueSky44 - Deceased
- Moses, John - Abandoned Hope - Faceclaim: Jason Biggs - NPC - Deceased
- Reed, Carolina - The Alucard Institute for Peculiar Youth - Faceclaim: Vanessa Hudgens - Played by @Nallore - Alive
- Reed, Cassandra - The Alucard Institute for Peculiar Youth, X-Men: Darkness Rising - Faceclaim: Chloe Bennet - Played by @Nallore - Alive
- Ridgeway, Anastasia - Strange New Waters - Faceclaim: Keira Knightley - Played by @Nallore - Alive
- Riviere, Édouard - Strange New Waters - Faceclaim: Colin O'Donoghue - Played by @Morose - Alive
- Sarbye, Jacen - Abandoned Hope - Faceclaim: Unknown - NPC - Deceased
- Sarbye, Jaina - Abandoned Hope - Faceclaim: Unknown - NPC - Deceased
- Sariel - Abandoned Hope - Faceclaim: Unknown - NPC - Deceased
- Schroeder, Joel - Abandoned Hope - Faceclaim: Unknown - Played by @hagroden - Deceased
- Smith, Elias - Strange New Waters - Faceclaim: Unknown - NPC - Deceased
- Smith, Sutton - Abandoned Hope - Faceclaim: Alona Tal - Played by @Morose - Deceased
- Sorreast, Jessica - Abandoned Hope - Faceclaim: Olivia Wilde - Played by @Sohtem - Deceased
- Starkette - X-Men: Darkness Rising - Faceclaim: Willa Holland - Played by @Morose - Alive
- Strange, Sylvia - Abandoned Hope - Faceclaim: Jaime Murray - Played by @Witch Cat - Deceased
- Strong - The Horrors of Coventry - Faceclaim: Michael Chiklis - NPC - Alive
- St. Sebastian, Lilith - The Horrors of Coventry - Faceclaim: Martha Hunt - Played by @FantasyChic - Alive
- Swale, Avery - Strange New Waters - Faceclaim: Unknown - NPC - Deceased
- Valeska, Boris - The Horrors of Coventry - Faceclaim: Heath Ledger - NPC - Alive
- Valeska, Fiodora - The Horrors of Coventry - Faceclaim: Unknown - NPC - Deceased
- Valeska, Folly - The Horrors of Coventry - Faceclaim: Kacey Rohl - NPC - Alive
- Xavier, Charles - X-Men: Darkness Rising - Faceclaim: Patrick Stewart - NPC - Alive
In the Abandoned Hope Universe, we are primarily concerned with what is called the modern incarnation of HYDRA. Founded by Johann Schmidt, it operated as the Nazis science division in the Second World War. However, the organization was active before the war, even attempting to assassinate genius Howard Stark. Its founder was called the Red Skull, referencing the condition his body was left in after he tried a botched batch of super soldier serum -- the same serum that would later be used on Steve Rogers.
Despite having factories in nine different countries and millions of foot soldiers, HYDRA was ultimately defeated by the Howling Commandos lead by Steve Rogers (Captain America). However, after the war concluded and the Cold War Era began, many former HYDRA scientists were recruited by the United States government, in order to stop them from working with the Soviets. These scientists, more loyal to HYDRA than anything else, rebuilt the organization in secret.
There have been some clashes with HYDRA in the modern day RP's, much of which has only been referenced. Agent Cassandra Reed mentioned in X-Men: Darkness Rising that a former teammate of hers had turned out to be HYDRA. Agent Guinevere Stark also mentioned in the same RP that the X-Men would be fine with her, as long as they didn't Hail HYDRA. The general state of HYDRA is currently unknown, but assumed to be a formidable foe to have caused the S.H.I.E.L.D. agents to mention it. Its leadership is also unknown.
A part of the Directorate of Military Intelligence, MI13's public status is that of an organization responsible for"undocumented intelligence and special operations." Aside from the foreboding number 13 in its name, MI13 is also one of the more quiet and harder to join organizations. Members are often recruited from other divisions of military intelligence and it is not uncommon for family members to be brought into the fold, such as Rupert Cornish (current director) recruiting his niece, Jade Cornish.
MI13 has a similar structure to S.H.I.E.L.D. when it comes to training, owning a large training academy in an undisclosed location in Scotland. Its reputation is also closer to that of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s, hardly as corrupt and unfeeling as O.M.E.N. is. Much of this, of course, is due to how little people know about the organization. Its official purposes are all highly classified, but can be assumed to include the monitoring, protection, and policing of enhanced individuals, as well as the assessment and neutralization of paranormal threats.
In short, they fulfill both the functions of S.H.I.E.L.D. and O.M.E.N., but with better efficiency and more human decency.
The Organization for the Methodical Eradication of Necromantics was signed into existence by the President of the United States of America on June 22nd, 2016. Created in response to the Altsoba Massacre, it is O.M.E.N.'s duty to identify paranormal abnormalities in the world that may do us harm and vanquish them. It is a covert organization and underneath the jurisdiction of the Department of Defense, as it is concerned with protecting national security.
Although its founders were experienced hunters, O.M.E.N. has a reputation for being unable to distinguish between peaceful beings and violent ones. Individuals with supernatural or superhuman abilities are often targeted by O.M.E.N. without mercy, as no grey areas of morality are considered. Anyone considered dangerous to the United States and its interests (provided that danger stems from what is considered supernatural and paranormal) can be arrested and charged without trial by O.M.E.N.
The only exception to O.M.E.N.'s ruthless antics is witchcraft. While witches like Walter Hanson are hunted down like dogs, those who practice magic and are willing to assist O.M.E.N. in hunting the supernatural are often left alone. Individuals like Eudora Erebus are asked for assistance in various cases, as O.M.E.N. encounters more and more supernatural beings, and are only arrested if they do not cooperate.
Known members include the Winchester Brothers and Agent Carbry Keenan. O.M.E.N. lacks a director as of the Horrors of Coventry.
The Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement, and Logistics Division is an United States intelligence agency tasked with maintaining global security. Founded in January of 1949 by Peggy Carter, Howard Stark, and Chester Philips as a successor to the Strategic Scientific Reserve, S.H.I.E.L.D. often deals with alien technology, superpowered individuals, and events that boggle the senses. Notable members include Natasha Romanoff, Clint Barton, Phil Coulson, Melinda May, Guinevere Stark, Cassandra Reed, and Bonnie Chase.
Despite the agency's success in protecting the world since its founding, its failure to prevent the tragedy in the New York (see the Incident) and then the Altsoba Massacre (see Abandoned Hope) prompted a defunding of the agency. Its budget was limited significantly and then given to O.M.E.N., a rival US intelligence and military agency. Its primary headquarters, the Triskelion, is located in Washington D.C. and was not publicly known until 2014.
Recruitment for S.H.I.E.L.D. can be fierce. Recruits usually have a college degree, but it is not required with the exception of Science and Technology, where candidates need at least one PhD to enter the building. Very few agents are trained 'on the job' but there are some scenarios in which this is the case, such as with Guinevere Stark. Additionally, individuals can be recruited for various initiatives without progressing through the academy, such as the Avengers Initiative. Its current director is Nick Fury.