At around 6ft Chrollo has a minor height advantage on most people he meets, which helps give off the impression he looks down on everyone literally and figuratively. While he has a collection of functional robes to choose from day to day, the constant seems to be that they are all quite ornate and well-made. Adding on to the sense of wealth he always has a collection of rings adorning his fingers made out of precious metals and gems. The two constants in his outfit are a pair of earrings with blood-red gems hanging from them, as well as the bandages that cover his body. They start at the top of his neck and reach all the way down to his feet. Chrollo is incredibly secretive about the bandages and his appearance underneath them.
Chrollo is considered quite handsome, though secretly most would consider him more beautiful than handsome in a traditional way. He has long hair that is often left to hang rather than pull it back, only doing so if it gets in the way. The most notable feature of his is his glowing yellow eyes. They appear almost feline in nature and fluctuate in light depending on how much mana he is using. When not using spells they appear almost normal if not for color and shape, but when he is casting high-level spells they can begin to illuminate much like candles in the night.
Fitting the feline-like appearance of his eyes Chrollo can most times be described as “mildly amused” or “somewhat interested” in most people around him. He tends to give off a feeling of unease in most people, that they are a toy he is using to temporarily relieve boredom. It is hard to ever tell if he is ever being sincere or merely playing with you. Most questions he asks feel barbed as if he is attempting to provoke instead of understanding.
While he is no traitor or heretic, Chrollo feels no true loyalty to either the monarchy or church. If anything his attitude towards these institutions could best be summed up in the phrase “not my problem”. Even his loyalty to his fellow mages of the college is doubted by most mages in said college. One thing that does manage to catch his attention is mysteries. Whether they are unknown magical artifacts or a simple riddle, Chrollo has an innate need to learn. There is a single figure that commands Chrollo’s respect and loyalty, the person who saved him from his destiny.
Chrollo is driven by a need to repay the debt he owes to his master for giving him the gift of a new life. That gift is the most valuable and precious thing Chrollo has ever received and causes all other acts of kindness to pale in comparison in the eyes of the young mage. No matter what he suffers he follows any order or request that is given to him by his master no matter the cost.
Detached, Manipulative, Carefree
Chrollo prefers not to think of a time before he met his master for those days have left him with nothing but nightmares. The only remaining trace of that time is a subtle flinch at the sound of a whip cracking. According to Chrollo, his true life began when the first gentle person he had ever met gave him a name. At the age of nine Chrollo was acknowledged as a human and it was a completely alien experience to him. The journey with this kind person wasn’t easy, but it was still an amazing experience for him. It was on this trip he learned how it felt to smile, laugh, and sleep with no fear. The kind stranger would tell him stories every night as the moon rose high. They would speak of wondrous places and magical beings that the boy couldn’t even imagine. Endless water and giant lizards sounded like insanity, but the whole trip felt like a dream so Chrollo instantly believed them all. Eventually, their trip ended at a sea of stars, the city of Aimlenn. As they approached through the darkness of night Chrollo was amazed by the sights around him. Little did the boy know he had just arrived at his new home to begin the next chapter of his life.
As it turned out Chrollo had a naturally large reserve of mana, especially for a child with no training or nourishment. Having seen this the kind stranger recommended him to be taken in by the mages college as a student. The kind man was actually a wizard with the college named Karandor. Chrollo was terrified to be separated from his savior, but after much comfort, he finally relented and went to his first classes. These classes were filled with other orphans adopted by the college, or prodigies from the surrounding area who only stayed for the day. Even though he was remarkably shy the small boy was one of the best students in his class, and it stayed that way until his graduation at the age of fifteen. Chrollo had a reputation as a hard-working and honest student that always tried his best, and ended up graduating as the third-best mage of his class. While the top student immediately goes into service for the kingdom, the others are left to choose their own paths. The second best decision to join a mercenary company along with a few others, while many just became scholars for the college. Many of the lower-ranking students went off on their own to make a name for themselves in some way or another. When it was time for Chrollo to make his choice he didn’t hesitate and became the assistant to the very same wizard who had saved him all those years ago.
At first, Chrollo worked as a simple assistant that helped with paperwork for Karandor. His real job was to grow his magic’s strength until he could accompany his master on his journeys out of the nation. It took him about two years to reach this point, and they set off on their first journey together. They journeyed west to visit the Elves at the Veil of Tears and study Elven magic. The wall of water was an incredible sight to watch, and it never got old trying to understand the enchantments around it. That was merely the first of three expeditions Chrollo and his master went on over the next 5 years. Their third expedition was by far the most dangerous they had embarked on, and it would be the one that ended in disaster. Their objective was to study some reported carvings in a cave in the mountains near Orodagor. The journey there was difficult and the research went no better. They had found the carvings but had little way to understand them, as they were written in an unknown language. During a late-night of studying a mysterious wind picked up around the mouth of the cave, and Chrollo’s master went to investigate. As Karandor walked away Chrollo noticed a lantern with an open lid and moved to close it. As he bent down the flame leaped at him and expanded rapidly.
From the master's point of view, the cave suddenly exploded in flame from where his apprentice was standing. Using his enchanted cloak he shielded himself from the flames, but the force sent him flying. Slowly floating down with the use of magic the master watched with horror as the cave suddenly collapsed sending dust up everywhere. For four days Karandor frantically searched for any signs of life from his apprentice. The most he ever found was a torn piece of singed cloth. Defeated and having lost his student Karandor began the long trek home.
It was two years later that a miracle would happen at the mages college. In the middle of the day, a man in rags stumbled through the front door and shouted that he must speak with Karandor. As the old man reached the lobby to see what the fuss was about he immediately recognized the mana of the man standing before him. Karandor rushed forward and embraced Chrollo and silently wept while holding him close. As he pulled back he could see drastic things had happened to his apprentice. The once child-like blue eyes were now a bright yellow, with alien iris’. Chrollo’s hair had grown much longer, and he was a good bit taller. The most significant thing by far was tattoos that covered the vast majority of his body. They were clearly visible through the rags that barely covered Chrollo, and they were utterly confusing. They appeared to be just lines and lines of words in various languages. While there were human and elvish languages scattered around the arms and legs, the vast majority were the undecipherable language from the caves in Orodagor. Karandor brushed off his confusion for the time being and quickly ushered his student upstairs just happy to see him again.
To the other mages of the college, Chrollo was drastically different from before his disappearance. Long gone was the responsible and quiet student and in his place was an unapproachable wall. Most praise was met with silence while criticism received derision. While there were questions, it was no question that Chrollo had taken massive leaps in his magical capabilities. He had made so much improvement in fact that Karandor decided to let Chrollo borrow the college's tome on gravity magic, something kept locked from most. Karandor was able to arrange this as head of the department of magical archeology. While learning this new form of magic Chrollo has taken the role of bodyguard and obtainer of rare artifacts. He would often help local guards protect the important dig sites of the college around the countryside.
- Earrings with mana reserves in the crystals
- A golden staff that acts as a magic focus
- A magic ring that allows for simple levitation
- A large collection of ornate jewelry he often wears
- An enchanted cloak that prevents a majority of attacks from breaking through
- Powerful mage
- A high-level Gravity mage: Chrollo is one of very few mages who are proficient with gravity magic, a relatively unknown school of sorcery. Its primary purposes are to change the mass of objects, the momentum they travel with, and their center of gravity. This can range from increasing the weight of an opponent's armor to supercompressing air to form a magical projectile. Techniques like that can often be combined with other disciplines by advanced mages, such as compressing a flame into a small ball of fire. The most difficult and time-intensive applications of gravity magic are AOE spells. The most commonly used version of the spells is "Imperatoris Edictum". The spell is named after the fact the spell increases the gravity around the mage, thus forcing the targets to kneel or prostrate themselves in front of the caster.
- Chrollo is also adept with other forms of attack magic the college regularly practices such as the schools of fire and earth. These allow him a way to fight back against lesser enemies without having to use gravity magic. He has the typical simple attack spells such as "fireball" and "earthquake". He is also able to cast defensive spells such as "cloak of fire", which protects its user by shrouding the caster in magical flames that harm approaching enemies.
- His tattoos allow Chrollo to cast spells without expending the average amount of mana. Where a normal mage typically requires something like a staff or wand to harness mana into their desired form, Chrollo is able to do it for the most part without these things. The tattoos act as a form of a roadmap for the mana to follow as he prepares the spell. A focus is still needed to act as a sort of north star for his established roadmap.
- Chrollo's augmented eyes allow him to very clearly see mana. They also have the side effect of glowing when casting magic.
- Chrollo is a member of the college and more specifically a part of the department of magical archeology. Even though he has been more recently utilized as a combatant, he hasn't forgotten the years of lessons given to him by the college.
- Using both his augmented vision and normal sense Chrollo is able to spot small details. This skill has been honed from years working at dig sites looking for the smallest of artifacts.