So I said this on chat but I felt I should state it here, I'm going to be allowing all of you to create second characters if you so wish to. Of course only if you're fully able to, it's busy this time of year with school back so don't feel you have to make a second character (you don't).
If you chose to go ahead with second chars, if they're accepted then they'll be brought onto the Gladius following the first mission's completion.
Subject Alpha refers to itself only as Alpha. Though some staff have taken to calling the Subject 'Redacted', or 'Redac' for short owing to the classified nature of the subject, no one uses this name to his face (or lack thereof), after Nurse Gemenia was [REDACTED].
P R I S O N E R I D N O.
S P E C I E S
Subject Alpha is one of the few remaining specimens of the Petracap race, and is technically classified as endangered.
G E N D E R
Subject Alpha is of the Hunter subclass of the Petracap race -biologically, the races equivalent of male.
A G E
Subject Alpha is thirty-five years into his current life cycle. Though there is no data regarding the exact number of life cycles Subject Alpha has undergone, conservative estimates put it in three digits.
F O R M E R F A C T I O N
P H Y S I C A L D E S C R I P T I O N
H E I G H T
7'11", 241.3 cm
W E I G H T
412 lbs., 186.88 kg
E Y E D E S C R I P T I O N
H A I R D E S C R I P T I O N
S K I N D E S C R I P T I O N
Pale, almost translucent. Veins and musculature can be faintly seen in certain areas.
I D E N T I F Y I N G T R A I T S
Heavily scarred across body, especially chest and biceps.
F A C I A L D E S C R I P T I O N
C L O T H I N G / A R M O R
While Petracap culture does not include clothing of any kind, Subject Alpha has embraced the prison issue jumpsuit happily. Though the upper portion is always ripped off, Subject Alpha has a strange attachment to the pants. It is advised to not attempt to remove the pants from Subject Alpha, after the incident regarding [REDACTED]. Before his capture, Subject Alpha was seen wearing a Class IV Personal Energy Shield.
A U G M E N T A T I O N S
Alpha possesses a special device around his neck that is capable of translating from the Petracap's specialized sign language to -INSERT LANGUAGE HERE-
W E A P O N S O F C H O I C E
◦ Nurse Style 2 Tactical Shotgun- A powerful shotgun that loads six shells at a time, the Nurse Style 2 has a reputation among mercenary groups for being extremely reliable, if not the most versatile. Unique design makes reloading spectacularly fast, and it is capable of firing as quickly as it can be pumped.
◦ Fists- Subject Alpha possesses physical strength of nearly immeasurable proportion -as such, he has been known to resort to ripping enemies limb from limb. While he can rend his enemies with extreme prejudice, his personal energy shield is broken by his own attacking, due to the force behind his blows.
C H A R G E S
◦ Public Indecency
◦ Contempt of Court
◦ Vandalism (x6)
◦ [REDACTED] (x5)
◦ Manslaughter (x200+)
◦ Genocide (x2)
S K I L L S
◦ "Alpha is the strongest."- When Alpha brags about his strength, he's not lying -hell, he doesn't even know how. Strength, endurance, and constitution of legendary proportions make Alpha exactly what he is. This is only further supported by his prowess in hand-to-hand combat. Multiple lifetimes of killing six-armed bear-people barehanded tends to give one a leg up in the combat department.
◦ "Alpha knows you're there."- Due to his Petracap physiology, Alpha has senses unlike any other. If it makes noise, Alpha hears it. If it leaves a trail, Alpha smells it. If it disturbs the electromagnetic fields, Alpha feels it.
◦ "Smells funny."- Due to the Petracaps revival process, Alpha's skin is entirely chemically inert. While punching, stabbing, and shooting him will have just as much affect as one might expect, chemically based attacks fare far worse. He cannot be lit aflame, he won't burn in acid, nor will he dissolve in base, assuming he finds a way to cover his mouth.
◦ "What's this? Alpha hasn't seen this before."- Alpha is a very fast learner. Through observation, trial and error, and sheer intuition, Alpha is able to pick up on things very quickly. After a month of use, he was shotgunning with the best of them, and only took the better part of a year figuring out how to drive a vehicle.
◦ "Alpha doesn't like attention."- While Alpha is hardly stealthy in the 'hiding in the shadows' style, he moves with extreme grace considering his size. Evolving in a habitat where his only predator had even better senses, Alpha quickly learned how to move without sound. He can't squeeze into tight spaces like other particularly stealthy races, but given the right environment he is virtually undetectable.
◦ "You don't know me? Good."- Thanks to the heavily classified nature of all operations relating to the dual-race extinction of Munmag IV, and their lack of galactic participation beforehand, there are few souls alive who know about the Petracaps, and fewer still who will dare to mention the race. This means that Alpha himself is very much unknown, a simple fairy tale to many. This is one of his greatest assets, as there is no way to prepare for 400 lbs. of meat that you didn't even know existed.
F L A W S
◦ "Shut up, little man. You're making too much noise."- Along with super-senses comes super-sensitivity. Flash bangs, explosions in close enough proximity, overpowering scents, fields of extreme electromagnetic activity, and the like can all but disable Alpha. Especially notable is the sensitivity of his special Petracap sixth sense. The organ, located where a human might have their nose, is extremely sensitive to harm. A Petracap will fight through a point-blank shotgun shell, but a tap on the nose will send him running.
◦ "What is Alpha looking at?"- Having no eyesight is a surprising hindrance. Anything printed on paper is invisible to Alpha, as well as that which is on a screen.
◦ "Alpha does not know that word."- Primitive in nature, Alpha has lived multiple lifetimes with nothing more advanced in his hands than a rock. Though he is learning quickly, he lacks much fundamental knowledge of today's technology that others have. Many concepts that are considered common sense to the average person are completely foreign to Alpha.
◦ "Why is everything so little?"- Though he is not massive by any standards, Alpha still finds his size to be a hindrance from time to time. Be it a corridor built for human height forcing him to slouch, or shoddy human construction refusing to support his weight, Alpha is annoyed by the size of the world around him. In confined spaces, Alpha gets frustrated rather quickly, leading him to be even more clumsy.
◦ "Quiet time. Alpha is working."- Because Alpha only speaks his native Petracap sign language (albeit translated by the device around his neck), he is incapable of speech while his hands are full. Though he can grunt, and knows some VERY basic vocabulary, he can't form a coherent sentence without his hands.
◦ "Lie? What does that mean?"- In Petracap culture, the idea of not telling the truth was never conceived. Language was only ever developed by the Petracaps to convey information, not to deceive. As such, Petracap doesn't understand much of the common language conventions. Metaphor, simile, lying, sweet-talking, etc. are all foreign concepts to Alpha.
◦ "Home? Alpha killed his home."- As one of the few surviving Petracaps, Alpha already faces extreme loneliness. This is only expounded by the fact that Alpha has no hope of ever reconnecting with his race -he carries a biological imperfection that was the cause of the races near-extinction in the first place. He refuses to risk even coming close to the few remaining Petracaps for fear of the contagion killing them as well.
◦ "...What now?"- Alpha is almost entirely devoid of ambition. Instinctively, he has one goal in life -hunt down the Angil. Having gone above and beyond on that task and making the race entirely extinct, Alpha has nothing left to drive him. This makes him rather easily manipulated, as he is willing to go along with anyone's narrative so long as it promises an escape from the void of his own thought.
P E R S O N A L I T Y
Dr. Herman: Hello, Prisoner 2253- Prisoner 2253: Alpha. D.H.: Excuse me? 2253: Alpha is me. D.H.: OF course. So Alpha, tell me, do you know why you're here? 2253: Alpha wasn't wearing pants. D.H.: I... yes that is one of the reasons. Do you know the more important reason? 2253: Alpha... Alpha killed a Nohvan. The police-man was not happy when Alpha killed a Nohvan. D.H.: No, Alpha. I am referring to the incident involving your home planet. 2253: Oh, Alpha understands. You mean Alpha killing the Angil? D.H.: Yes, We are referring to Al- you having driven the Angil race to extinction, as well as your own. [For the rest of the interview, Alpha refused to respond to Doctor Herman's questioning.]
Doctor's Note: Subject Alpha seems to have very little understanding of consequences, and can be assumed to lack basic morality. While seemingly sensitive about his own races demise, he does not seem to respond violently.
[Due to 2253's lack of cooperation with Doctor Herman, Doctor Kaminski was brought in to continue the evaluation] D.K.: Hello, Alpha. Today I would like to take you through some simple word association. I'll say a word, and I'd like you to say the first thing that comes to your mind. 2253: Alpha is ready. D.K.: Dog. 2253: Hunt. D.K.: Night. 2253: Hunt. D.K.: Enemy. 2253: Hunt. D.K.: Okay, I think we're done with this.
Doctor's Note: The subject is unsurprisingly one-minded.
[Interaction deemed less than useful was deleted from the record for brevity's sake.]
D.K: Okay, now- 2253: No chains. D.K.: What was that? 2253: No chains. Alpha is not wearing chains. The prisoner that was just brought by the door was wearing chains, why is Alpha not wearing chains? D.K.: Ah, yes. You have been cooperative enough to not warrant such harsh measures. 2253: Do I not scare you, Doctor? Prison Guard: OH GOD IT'S EATING MY- [REDACTED]
Doctor's note: The subject shows high levels of curiosity, as well as a great deal of pride in his own strength. Highly suggested that highest security protocol be taken with Prisoner 2253 from this point on.
[From this point onwards, Prisoner 2253 is tethered to the ground by a set of six interlocking chains that pin his arms to his body.] D.K.: Now, I'd like you to take a look at these pictures, and tell me what you see. Here's the first one. 2253: ... D.K.: What do you see? 2253: ...
Doctor's Note: It is surprisingly easy to forget that the subject is blind.
2253: Alpha is done with questions. D.K.: Alpha, I understand if this is getting tiresome, but I just have a few- oh my lord. Prison Guard: I NEED BACKUP, PRISONER 2253 HAS BROKEN LOOSE. 2253: Calm down, little man. Alpha just wants to go back to Alpha's cell. Prison Guard: I REPEAT, BACKUP IN PSYCHE WING 3- [Death gurgle] 2253: I said calm down, little man. See what you have done to yourself? [Prisoner was then escorted back to his cell]
Doctor's Note: The subject's behavior is highly erratic, and unpredictable by general standards. Highly suggested that the subject be placed into the psyche wing, if not our highest security hold.
Final Notes: As noted above, Subject Alpha seems to lack an understanding of what we might consider common morality. The subject lacks an understanding of consequences, and is almost innocently unaware of how much damage he has truly done. The subject has a one-track mind, and seems prone to tunnel vision. Though not violently temperamental, Subject Alpha is very prideful of his strength, and will go to great lengths to disprove any doubters. Also apparent is Subject Alpha's curiosity -he seems to want to learn about anything and everything, and is very adept at doing so. Alpha also tends to shun authority, often simply ignoring commands that he does not agree with. Instead of taking instruction and following orders, Alpha prefers to use his brute strength to solve his problems. That said, Alpha is highly erratic in behavior, conforming to no currently present patterns. Utmost caution should be taken when dealing with the subject.
B I O G R A P H Y
Born millennia ago, Alpha was one of the early Petracap. In his early lives, he held the title of Alpha, but was usurped by a young upstart 170 life cycles into his career. It wasn't until this new Alpha was killed by an Angil huntress that Alpha took his title back. From that point until the extinction of the Petracap race, Alpha once again held the title of Alpha.
When the C.O.A.L. coalition came down to the planet, and began 'recruiting volunteers', Alpha was one of the few taken for initial trials. Five years of agony awaited the Petracap, as the scientists preformed test after test. The five years passed, and Alpha was released back to his home, where he lived out a happy life. At the end of his life cycle, however, he discovered what the scientists had done -in their experimentation with his genetic code, they accidentally gave him a powerful disease, something highly contagious and lethal that was spread on his rebirth. Symptoms didn't show until it was too late, and spread throughout almost the entire race.
As his family died around him, Alpha was left to wonder why he himself was alive. Though the scientists unwittingly gave him the contagious disease, it appeared they had at the same time given him immunity to it's effects. Though not the brightest bulb in the box, Alpha was able to understand that his loss was a direct result of C.O.A.L.'s intervention, and took according action. He killed them.
A scientific team prepared for taking a race by surprise with superior technology was no match for the furious brick of meat named Alpha, especially after he taught himself to use a shotgun. All of the coalition were hunted down and killed, mercilessly slaughtered. Even this was not enough to bring peace to Alpha, so he spent his next life cycle studying the technology of the ship he was aboard. Hoping to seek a new fate in the stars, Alpha learned to get the ship flying, only to crash it directly into the planet, cracking a massive hole in the surface of the caves in which many of the Angil lived.
The flash freeze, a month later, caused catastrophe for the six-armed race, as their stronghold had been penetrated by the crashing spaceship. Later researchers determined the race to be dead for sure, but at the time Alpha himself had a gut instinct that told him that the action had been very very bad for the Angil which was satisfying enough.
When he finally managed to get the ship to pilot him away from the planet, he was taken to a Federation controlled planet. On the flight, he made himself accustomed to the various armaments aboard the ship -his shotgun, an energy shield, and a translator developed whilst the scientists attempted to unlock the secret of Petracap immortality. When he finally landed, he was arrested within a week due to his lack of understanding of laws, common sense, and morality.
B E L O N G I N G S
A large array of skulls taken as trophies, arranged on a necklace. Most of the skulls are the small ape-like skulls of the Angil, though he also has three Human skulls, a Nohvan skull, a Vaxir skull, two unidentified skulls, and an extremely large lizard skull of unknown origin.
A small recording device -the only file present on the device is about five seconds of screaming, followed by a short period of static.
O T H E R
M U N M A G I V ' S P E T R A C A P S
A dead race, betrayed by their own.
H O M E P L A N E T
B R I E F S U M M A R Y O F M U N M A G I V
Munmag IV is almost a perfect replica of Earth, save for the fact that it is one of the many moons around Munmagura, a gas giant with an oblong orbit around it's sun, Munmagurathan. This means that every 6 Earth months, Munmag IV is blocked from any light and energy from Munmagurathan. This causes flash freezes that make life on the surface impossible. Instead, all life can be found in caverns just a few miles above the mantle of the moon. The current Petracap population of Munmag IV is no more than 100, at generous estimates. The only other sentient race on Munmag IV are the Angil, who have been declared extinct. Various wildlife are still present on the planet, though estimates on number are impossible to obtain due to the elusive nature of all native wildlife. Though the surface of Munmag IV is bare, the caverns that sprawl beneath the ground were once inhabited by billions of lifeforms. The caverns can be split into two distinct inhabitations that mark territory -the beehive-like carvings that reach from walls to ceiling that marked Petracap territory, and the sprawling tunnels of the Angil that reach towards the mantle.
E M P I R E S
M E M B E R O F T H E F E D E R A T I O N
N U M B E R O F C O L O N I E S
G E N E R A L A P P E A R A N C E
Petracaps have a general body shape very similar to larger humans. They differ in that they have much longer limbs, and thicker bodies in general -even the weakest Petracap would make a human bodybuilder jealous. Though they share similar muscle groupings with humans, the Petracaps have no hair on their body. Petracaps heads are entirely smooth, with no eyes or nose where a human would have them. Though the mouth is situated in the same place as a human, it is far wider than a humans, and possesses innumerable teeth within. On either side of the Petracaps head are three slits about an inch in length, one on top of the others. The skin of the Petracap is pale, almost translucent. Their knuckles are very exaggerated, with small knife-like bones protruding.
L I F E S P A N
G A L A C T I C R A R I T Y
No more than 100 are currently alive -few even know of their existence.
G O V E R N M E N T A L S T R U C T U R E
B R I E F C U L T U R E
Among Petracaps, strength is valued above all else. Respect is earned where strength is displayed. Strength can be displayed in one of two ways -tunneling to give a home and food to the hunters, or hunting to protect the tunnelers. Among the two 'classes' of Petracaps, a different subculture exists. Tunnelers follow a very traditional routine, passed down from generation to generation, which has lead to the formation of so many uniform hives that the Petracaps inhabit. Hunters are prided in their ability to kill Angil, and they follow whichever Hunter has killed the most Angil. Perfection of the kill is always sought, as new tactics are innovated to combat the Angil.
R A C I A L T R A I T S
◦ I see smell you- Having evolved in a hostile environment with literally no light, the Petracaps have no eyesight. To make up for this, their other senses are stellar. Hearing that can pick up on hushed conversation through the thickest walls, a sense of smell that can trace scents across massive distances, and a special sensory organ that can pick up on the small electrical fields generated by other lifeforms.
◦ Built to break- From millennia of breaking stone barehanded and engaging in hand-to-hand (to-hand-to-hand) combat with the Agnil under gravity and pressure far higher than that of Earth, Petracaps have evolved to have strength of ridiculous proportions. What twelve human men could move over the course of a day, a Petracap could handle with minimal effort. Along with this comes a sturdy body structure that is highly resistant to physical damage. While a bullet will still stop a Petracap the same as it will a human, a punch, kick, or fall from height will do very little.
◦ From the ashes- By far the most unique adaption of the Petracaps, the race is capable of "reviving" after death, with extra emphasis on the quotes around reviving. What can be referred to as a 'second brain' at the base of a Petracap's neck slowly matures over a lifetime. So long as the second brain, spine, and original brain are intact at the time of death, the 'second brain' releases a chemical fluid that dissolves the interior of the Petracap's body, leaving only the bones and skin intact. The 'second brain' then 'hatches', moving up the spinal cord to replace the old brain. Over the next three months, the interior of the body is reformed as new, using the old body as material. Very minimal memories are retained, and revival cannot be completed if the Petracap has had it's body damaged in such a way that it loses any significant mass. From the point of revival, the Petracap must wait around twelve years for a new 'second brain' to form and mature.
R A C E A G E
B R I E F H I S T O R Y
Throughout their development as a race, very little changed for the Petracaps during their first half-million years. Coexisting with the Angil would be stretching their relation, though the two certainly did shape each others existence. Both hunting and being hunted over thousands of years caused many of the adaptations among the Petracaps. Though at first the two races left each other be to hunt down the non-sentient fauna of Munmag IV, almost all of these species were hunted to extinction -those that didn't simply adapted ways to hide from the Petracaps and Angil. Due to circumstance, Petracaps and Angil never developed technology more advanced than a hammer, and thus never left their caves. It was only the arrival of a corrupt scientific band that changed the course of life on Munmag IV, and ended in the extinction of the Angil and the plague that devastated the Petracaps.
T E C H N O L O G I C A L I N N O V A T I O N S
E X P A N D E D C U L T U R E
Reproduction among Petracap are rare. Few have the nutrients required to survive, let alone produce another. Because the Petracap are, without outside intervention, effectively immortal, childbirth is hardly even thought of. On the rare occasions it does happen, it is tradition for the current Alpha Hunter to mate with the Alpha Tunneler. Due to the low risk life of a Tunneler, only newborn Hunters are kept alive. Family is not a concept well understood by the Petracap -they believe themselves to be all family as a race, which they likely are, due to inbreeding.
Though there is clear biological distinction between Tunnelers and Hunters, the two exist in perfect harmony. They live in a system of power earned, not power handed out. Among the Tunnelers, the Alpha is determined by the largest haul of food at the end of the season. Among the Hunters, it is determined by head count of all time. Valued highly by tunnelers is tradition -forming their caves and digging their food the same way year by year has worked so far, so any change to the system is not tolerated. Hunters, however, are encouraged to be creative. As the Petracap evolved new techniques to combat their lifelong enemies the Angil, so did the Angil evolve defenses.
It was the Angil's existance that defined the evolution of the Petracap, as the two were each others primary predators -the only predators on the planet. The bear-like Angil, wielding six arms with razor claws, made worthy opponents for the Petracap, for multiple lifetimes. Their feuds shaped the tunnels that pepper the planet, the Petracap moving upwards to get away from the low dwelling Angil.
Death is not a word understood by Petracap. Either a Petracap is reborn, or it is killed by an Angil, meaning it was never worthy of the Petracap race anyways. Rebirth among Petracaps is something akin to a birthday might be for a human. It is celebrated with a feast, but little more note is given to it.
The diet of a Petracap consists entirely of sugar, which is found in plentiful amounts amidst the rocks. Due to their evolution on a diet of this, the Petracap is unable to digest anything other than sugar in large quantities. They are able to make the most of these calories, and use the large intake of sugar to fuel their long days of hard work.
E X P A N D E D H I S T O R Y
For the first few hundred thousand years of the Petracap existence, the race did little but survive and fight the Angil, as is a common motif. Throughout this time, though they made great strides in architecture and combat training, they never moved past stone age technology, likely because they had no way to discover fire. So, they stayed locked in constant combat with each other, the races fighting for simple survival.
It was a mere thousand years ago that the course of life on Munmag IV was changed forever. The C.O.A.L. scientific coalition landed a research vessel on the planet, after sending down a barrage of scanners. C.O.A.L. was a corrupt organization, working against the law to exploit undiscovered races entirely for profit. Upon discovering the Petracap and Angil, they abducted a large sample group of 'specimens' for 'research'. They found both races extremely interesting -the Angil for their natural camouflage abilities, and the Petracap for their immortality.
After some years of testing, the Angil outlived their usefulness -cloaking devices were successfully synthesized from information gleaned from the Angil, so they were left to their own devices. The Petracap were a different matter, as the scientists had trouble unlocking the secrets behind their immortality. While they tried hundreds of chemical trials, releasing their subjects back into the wild afterwards, they could find nothing that worked.
Little did they know, one of their trials had messed irreversibly with the genetic structure of the Petracap. The subject they released carried a powerful virus, something like a contagious cancer that destroys the DNA of host victims. Though the carrier was immune, it targeted any and all other Petracap with impunity. Due to the actions of this carrier, the virus was spread enough to commit genocide on a large majority of the race. The few who survived, went into hiding, not knowing how to react to the plague.
@Morose Taka is planting the bomb outside the cave entrance. It's not really the type you can just.. pick up and move around after it's set. Also, ceiling cracks < Power Power Charge, there's a reason it takes a good bit to set up >:)