Warrant Officer Jay Duncan
- Former USCM Warrant Officer, now works as a general laborer for Hestia Prime, fulfilling the role of farmer, construction worker, mechanic, and whatever else needs done physically around the colony.Appearance
- Jay is a grizzled, older man. He would stand a bit above 6 feet in height, though years of physical activity have put a slight slouch in his back. His longer hair and beard are grayed with age, and his tanned face and body also show signs of wear, such as calloused fingers, a scarred back, and wrinkle lines. When performing general labor duties, he wears a set of unmarked olive green surplus fatigues, with a patrol cap bearing the logo of the United States Colonial Marines. When having time off, he prefers to wear a simple flannel shirt and blue jeans, though he still keeps his hat on most everywhere. His one exception with his hat is when he's indoors, always politely removing it, and tucking it into a pocket.Strengths
- Jay still has all his old Marine training, though he's a bit rusty, and his target shooting could use a bit of work. His physical strength is rather impressive for someone his age, though its waned a bit in recent years. He knows the general exterior layout of the colony fairly well, and knows the floor plan of some of the newest buildings, having helped put them together himself.Weaknesses
- Jay is gruff and quiet, not one for small talk, and more likely to make a harsh, sarcastic comment than offer any real criticism or thoughts. He prefers to be simply told where to go, what to do, and be left alone after that. He also has a tendency to simply walk off in the middle of a conversation, if he thinks there's something more important to be done.Personality
- Jay is the 'grumpy old man' of Hestia Prime, preferring to do his work alone, eat his meals alone, and generally live alone. He doesn't show emotion too often, and when he does, it's either anger, annoyance, sarcasm, or some combination of the three. He does follow direct orders well, and if one often treats him more like a military subordinate, he's more likely to simply quietly do what you've asked.Family
- Jay originally arrived on Hestia Prime with a wife, though she was ill when they first arrived, and had passed away after a few months on the planet. Jay buried her near his home, and can often be found visiting her grave on the anniversary of their wedding, and her birthday.Backstory
- Jay was originally born on Earth, in 2127. He grew up in a lower-middle class rural family, in what was left of rural America. Like plenty of farm-born youth before him, Jay longed for a sense of adventure, seeking to go out and explore the greater universe. So when a Colonial Marines recruitment drive came calling, Jay was one of the first to sign up.
His life in the Marines was rather quiet, given the relative safety and security of most human colonies. Nonetheless, he managed to climb the ranks, serving faithfully for 22 years, and ending on a high note, having received a commission and the rank of Warrant Officer.
After leaving the Marines, Jay would meet a woman aboard a space station, and the two hit it off almost immediately. The woman, named Erin Hart, would soon become Jay's wife. The two spent several months aboard ships and stations in space, before choosing Hestia Prime as a nice world to settle down on. However, complications had arisen during the flight to the planet, and after 3 months, Erin passed away in her sleep, leaving Jay alone and bitter towards life.
Now a disgruntled, aging man, Jay has spent the last 5 years living in the colony. He's served as a general handyman of sorts, helping with farming, maintenance, construction, and just general labor tasks. He knows most of the other colonists, though he generally keeps his distance. Occasionally, he's been known to spend far too much time at the bar, getting drunk and spouting off his life story to anyone that cares to listen. This has led to interaction with colony security, as they've often had to peel him away from the bar, and make sure he gets home for the night. Jay usually stops by both the security offices and the bar when this happens, and offers a polite apology, before returning to his gruff self.