Danielle (Dani) Nicole Carson of the Markov familyAge
Having been turned at a fairly young age, Dani is quite a lot smaller than would be expected of someone her actual age, standing at a height of about 4’ (122 cm) and weighing around 55 lbs (25 kg), much to her distaste. She is also on the thinner side with a slender frame that gives her a rather dainty appearance, which isn’t really helped by the fact that she has a round face and a button nose.
As expected of a vampire, Dani’s skin is almost blindingly pale and serves as a fair match to her fine, straight white hair, which she prefers to keep at about shoulder length. Because she dislikes messing with her hair, Dani tends to simply wear her hair loose and avoid using any kind of accessories unless forced to do otherwise. In contrast to her skin and hair, Dani’s eyes are a bright crimson color and are a little on the rounder side.
For the most part, Dani opts to wear loose dresses or skirts. Considering the fact that the majority of her clothes were provided by her vampiric family, they tend to be a little more old-fashioned than most and colored primarily from various shades of whites, blacks, grays, and reds. Whenever she’s out and about during the day, she also usually wears a hoodie or jacket with a fairly large hood to help her avoid accidental exposure to sunlight.Personality
To many people, Dani can come across as being cold and distant due to her tendency to keep to herself and avoid interacting with others in meaningful ways. It is important to note that this isn’t because Dani hates being around people or anything like that. It’s more of a force of habit that she developed due to years of being treated as a sort of outcast among her peers in the Markov family. She just doesn’t really expect anyone to particularly care about getting to know her or befriending her, so she doesn’t go out of her way to put herself out there. If someone were to convince her that they want to get to know her, however, she would certainly return the sentiment and try to get to know them as well.
The impression of Dani as being detached and aloof isn’t helped much by the fact that she isn’t particularly expressive when it comes to her emotions either. While a large part of this is due to both the education she received on how to behave in a courtly manner befitting a member of the Markov family and the trauma she experienced during her turning, it’s also just a part of who she is as well. Of course, she does still feel emotions like everyone else; she’s not a robot. She’s just not generally comfortable with the idea of wearing her heart on her sleeve around people she’s not all that familiar with.
An academic at heart, Dani also thoroughly enjoys studying and learning about new things. Her intense curiosity and desire to be prepared has prompted her to adopt the somewhat strange habit of carrying around a notebook in which she records some of her observations concerning the abilities of the different species she’s encountered at the academy thus far.Notable Relations
None to speak ofEveryday Skills
Record keeping and notetaking
Playing strategy games
Remembering things that she’s read or heardBiography
Dani’s memories from the time surrounding her turning are rather hazy to say the least. The only thing she really remembers is seeing her parents’ dead bodies and the feelings of pain and hunger that accompanied her conversion into a vampire. From what she’s been told by her elders, however, she was turned by a rather unhinged vampire that had defected from the Markov family in the hopes of starting his own family to rival the great families. Apparently, several months before her eighth birthday, he had broken into her family’s home in order to start his new family by turning them. When her parents resisted his attempts, however, he killed them in a fit of rage before proceeding to turn Dani. Shortly thereafter, members of the Markov family who had been tracking him managed to find them and put an end to the traitor.
Even though the vampire who had sired her had been a traitor, the fact remained that Dani had been sired by a vampire from the Markov family. And so she was adopted into the family as any other more traditionally sired fledgling would have been. Unfortunately, her peers were a little more reluctant than the elders to overlook the oddities of her conversion or the fact that she was younger than them, and so she was often treated as somewhat of an outcast by the other fledglings. Though being treated this way had initially been a little hurtful, Dani eventually grew to accept it and decided to focus on her studies in the hopes that it would someday open some doors for her.
Such a door presented itself when one of the elders that handled her home schooling for the state mentioned that she might be interested in applying to Nox Tenebrae. After doing some reasearch into it, she decided that it sounded like a wonderful place for her to learn how to use her abilities better while using them for productive purposes. And so she applied, got accepted, and began a new chapter at the prestigious academy.
Dani fights primarily through the use of undead constructs and weakening her opponents with curses, which means that she’s probably best classified as a long-range fighter.Strengths
- Weakening her enemies to support her summons and allies
- Close quarters combat
- Being unable to find a good vantage point from which to direct her summons
- Enhanced physical condition: Dani’s vampiric blood makes her stronger, faster, and more durable than she appears. In her case, that means that she’s about as strong and fast as the average professional male athelete. Additionally, she doesn’t need to sleep or breathe anymore either.
- Disease and poison immunity: Dani, and all vampires, have an innate immunity to poison and disease due to their undead nature.
- Necromancy - magic concerning the forces of life and death:
- Undead constructs: Dani can channel necrotic energy to reanimate corpses to fight for her or perform other rudimentary tasks. The exact capabilities and attributes of her constructs depends on what kind of undead they are. With her current level of skill, she’s only able to raise skeletons and zombies. Skeletons are generally much easier and less time-consuming to raise than zombies, but are rather weak and easy to dispatch with brute strength. Zombies, on the other hand, tend to be sturdier and hit a little hard, though they are also a lot slower.
- Curses: Dani can also use necrotic energy to inflict temporary curses upon her enemies. While curses in general can have a wide variety of effects, Dani primarily makes use of curses that slow her opponents down, weaken the might behind their blows, or leave them feeling strangely fatigued.
- Necrotic energy: If pressed into close quarters combat, Dani is also able to channel necrotic energy to attack her opponents directly by draining away at their life force. Unfortunately, she hasn’t yet been able to figure out how to launch the energy she’s channeling, so it requires her to make physical contact with her opponent. As such, its really only a last resort.
- Sunlight: Direct exposure to sunlight, while not immediately fatal, is incredibly painful for Dani and can leave her feeling weak and fatigued for several hours after the fact. Of course, it kind of goes without saying that prolonged exposure (i.e. greater than a few minutes) is fatal. It is also important to note that light and holy based magic and magical items have similar effects on Dani, though to a much lesser degree than natural sunlight.
- Physical limits: Despite being stronger and faster than she appears to be, Dani’s not superhumanly strong or fast, which means that she’s often outclassed by other supernatural beings. Leverage also being a thing means that Dani’s physical attacks don’t hurt as much as they would from someone with her strength level either.
- Magic: Dani requires a fair amount of time and focus to make the most of her magical abilities. As such, anyone that can pressure her directly and avoid giving her that time is at a significant advantage when it comes to fighting her. Additionally, using magic burns through the blood that Dani’s consumed like exercise burns through calories. This means that frequent use of her magic requires Dani to feed more frequently than usual, which can be problematic at times.
- Silver: Objects made of silver leave somewhat nasty looking burns on Dani’s skin when they make contact, and wounds inflicted by silver weapons are much slower to heal than normal.
- Garlic: While not a fatal weakness, it is worth noting that Dani has something resembling a bad allergy to garlic and so tends to avoid straying too close to the kitchen when people are cooking.
Dani is left-handed