Ashby Daniel Hibler "Ash"Age:
5'7 in Height, 177 lbs in Weight(Former) Occupation:
Culinary Chef - Pastery / Station Chef at a RestrauntAppearance:
As a man standing around the average height of people, Ashby usually has sleek short blonde hair after a shower that he styles it or wears something over his head, taking his time to groom and ready up for the day. It's not unusual for his routine to take several minutes as he usually finishes leaving the bathroom with faint warm notes of vanilla and cinnamon unless he covers up with cologne or deodorant before next getting dressed.
His athletic body makes it's easy to find well-fitting clothes that he likes which suits his well-dressed demeanor when you first meet him, having a taste for something more stylish than subdued as even plain clothing can be eye-catching in his hands. Even if it is a trip to the gym or having an outing with several friends, he is meticulous about his appearance that there is rarely a time where something catches him unprepared for.
Rasied to be independent, brought up to be strong, taught to be a man and so Ashby was to their eyes, painted pristinely onto a door that creaked at its hinges when opened. It was just how he was brought up by his parents who expected and planned many great things for him in the future as they provided for the family. Of course, this attention didn't just go sorely on him as his two younger brothers were also raised in the household only two years younger than him who he watched over as they went through their own lives.
Born and raised on the sunny coasts of California, they lived a fairly privileged life compared to others as their parents worked early in the mornings to the mid-evenings where they saw each other again. This left the three boys fairly a lot of time to themselves as they were expected to take care of each other until father and mother got home. Growing up close to each other backs and having a cheerful relationship with each other as they got into their own problems in school. Together, they all lived as a fairly normal family with their own quirks and tics that made their lives uniquely theirs alone.
But eventually, even kids had to grow up and enter the world as Ashby and his own brothers soon entered college one by one. Each of his siblings went on to do their own thing as they stumbled in their own ways but eventually ended up where they were meant to be. His youngest brother, Brian, was the most gifted yet troubled as nobody doubted him when he enrolled in university to become a doctor as they knew he was capable of it. As the middle child, Vincent was the most unique out of them all as he found success being sponsored by a sports organization and owning a business in the rollerskating scene.
For Ashby himself, he took a different path and went to culinary school despite his parent's insistence, managing to eventually brush them off as he worked his butt off. Not only getting into his desired school but graduating as one of the top students of his class with a bachelor's in both culinary science and business management which, to say the least, was an intense experience...
From his internship, he was recommended and landed a well-paying job after graduation into the world of fine dining in Los Angeles as one of the kitchen cooks. With three-course meals priced at one hundred dollars or more per person and required being smartly attired with their dress code, high-end restaurants are a completely different beast from the common restaurant. Taking the culinary skills of a chef and forging it into a sharper blade with the trials and tribulations of every working night, it a job only for those who are truly passionate.
As upon hours on hours, his hands are unmistakable for those who have worked hard in the kitchen but there is still a life outside the bustling nights of restaurants. With the world passing by as his attention laid on his career, even his parents had moved to Colorado for their retirement while his two younger brothers went off to continue their own paths that separated them in different states. Entertaining the thoughts of opening a restaurant of his own until in 2016 it happened.
Global news covered the event all over the world as the chaos brought people fear of what would happen next and the actions of the government to address the situation. Thankfully, no one Ashby personally knew was involved but a few coworkers talked about hearing a relative being questioned and interviewed by the police. In light of the situation, however, he called and eventually moved with one of his younger brothers to a new house where they lived together on the condition he always cooked. Then life continued as always but with more frequent (every other month or so) visits from their youngest brother and parents just to check up on each other. Plans would get delayed over some of the concerns over the unprecedented event people would later call The First Wave but life carried on.
At the start of 2017, Vincent and his family got together in celebration of what the new year would bring, with hopes of better fortune for everyone. Their cheerful and slightly inebriated gathering while a good memory was blanched by the news in the following day, reports coming in of people like the incident from the previous year. Again, nobody that they knew personally was affected but it still rattled them of the situation that was happening, with the government seeming more prepared this time around than before. Or at least, that was what the internet forums claimed as Ashby looked up some of the discussions alongside his more tech and social media-savvy brother who followed them more closely than he did.
Conversations nervously grew as the start of 2018 passed them but coverage of the incident seemed... different compared to the previous years. It was an apprehensive hope as there were no blatant displays, instead being a slow burn that slowly the general public caught onto in the following weeks and months of what went wrong. At this point for his brothers and their parents, New Year's celebration took the entire week just for making sure everyone was okay before heading back home since they all visited Ashby and his brother's home in California. It was a strange twist that his brother decided to stay in California longer, having come down to visit them with a short flight they'd taken. That was when the strange things started happening with his youngest brother, always being out late until the wee hours of the morning that even Ashby got back home earlier from his late-night restaurant shifts. Cameras that they installed in the house started going Paranormal Activity on them as they caught the strangest things that made the two brothers concerned for their youngest. Their initial plan was to confront him if it wasn't reversed against them, resulting in an argument that left them blacked out of whatever happened next. In the following days, their concern grew after their brother stopped coming home that they issued a missing person report and looked for him but nothing bore fruit.
Still, life carried on even as the Fourth Wave fell upon them as another year passed them by. It was the painful fact that they entered a new year with a missing brother, still not found and perhaps nagging at their conscious of what blatantly happened to him, it was a solemn start to the year that no one knew what was going to happen. Everyone in the family took a step back from their work and separate lives to come together, taking a month or so to go through memory lane and get their tears out. In time, 2019 did get better for them in a way as they all took strides in achieving something new as they dug in to distract themselves. His brother's viewership increased to a steady average of around one hundred thousand views for the videos he released that resulted in him grabbing a second sponsor for his career. Ashby himself moved up the food chain as the pastry station chef with several other cooks assisting him whenever a shift comes around for lunch or dinner time.
As time went on during the year, it seemed things were getting back to normal and maybe even looking better in the right perspective. That's at least until the new year came around once more...
Skills and Weaknesses Skills:
- Passion, Cooking: One doesn't just go to school for four years, especially culinary school, 'just for fun' as there also has to be passion involved to persevere through the hardships. This results in the culmination of Ashby's greatest strength, having hundreds upon hundreds of hours and experience invested that he has picked up a variety of skills in the kitchen beyond just cooking. However, out of them all, cooking is most assuredly his most polished ability he has command over that the common person wouldn't dream of reaching. Given a few more years, he would be a good person to become a sous chef or even an executive chef when he got some more experience.
- Conversationally Fluent: While not expected to learn any other languages in his family, living on the west coasts of California allows a lot of people for Ashby to meet. The contact and exposure he got was a fun thing for him that influenced him to learn new languages so that he could interact with people. As such his most comfortable languages are Spanish and French, due to the culture he has come into contact which that gave him plenty of practice. Also, embarrassingly enough, he also learned some Arabic in order to make a good impression on one of his friend's parents but it's still at a level that he has much to learn. It from that friend and their family that he's getting the opportunity to learn from, or at least that was the case until everything happened that he had to drop it.
- People Person: People are interesting and Ashby likes getting to know them better, all with their own lives and stories packed within them. As such he is generally an open and outgoing person, preferring to entice people to do the same with his honeyed personality. Like a sponge that just doesn't seem to have a limit, he is earnestly a curious person who likes to learn and doesn't mind even if it may be a tad personal at times. This is especially true with people that he mutually likes, growing easily attached to them but isn't such a bad thing depending on how you look at it.
- Self-Conscious, Self-Critical: Sure he presents himself as an open and relatable person which he's happy that everyone takes to but that is also the end goal and result he wants to achieve. Finding it hard not to be judgemental about himself or the qualities that he feels are lacking, he likes to always be working on himself even if others say he needs to take a rest. Its a terrible combination of being a workaholic and self-critic that will one day bring Ashby down piece by piece if he doesn't tone it down for his own good.
- Stonewalled Empathy: "I don't mind honestly. Besides your happiness is indirectly my happiness as well."
- Overprotective: As an older brother and sometimes referred fondly as a dad to his friends, Ashby does seem to take the protective role in personal situations involving them. Being earnest and genuine in where it is coming front, he only wishes for them to be their best but sometimes he takes it a step or two more than he means to. It just feels like everyone needs that somebody to challenge them or keep them on track when they have so much 'potential' that can slip through their hands.
Choose specific abilities with reasonably well defined capabilities and drawbacks. These spells reflect the knowledge your character already had, not arcane study or sorcery tutorship, and similarly are unlikely to be very well refined or powerful.
- Refine Control (Red): A simple spell that allows Ashby to greater manipulate part of his body, allowing things that already be possible to be a step or two better. In exchange for overclocking, he burns through calories faster and gobbles up stamina for the focus that is involved.
- Enchant Object: Sharpen (Violet): Truly a deadly spell that imbues an object with a 'sharp edge' refined cutting capabilities about twice as effective but does completely nothing else. It is a fairly non-taxing spell but requires him to be in contact with a viable object and focus on the action of 'cutting' to make it effective. Continuous and constant use generally leads to sore hands and eventually cramps that forces him to drop it around the hour mark.
- Sense of Change (Green): In his affinity for cooking, Ashby currently has an uncontrollable ability that enhances and refines his senses to changes occurring in his area of focus. It only comes into effect when he is in a state of calm and focus that comes to him in the kitchen.
- Extraction (Red): Resonating with that peaceful state of mind from previously, this is another ability of Ashby that manifests in that kind of environment. Augmenting his ability to pull the best qualities of the ingredients he's using to the forefront