RPGC #29 – The Village
It is October, a month in the northern hemisphere linked to autumn, in which the leaves change colour, temperatures drop, and chilly wind and rain become more prevalent. It is also known for Halloween, even in countries that do not celebrate it.
The theme in our Discord this month is Spooktober, and RPGC will stick to that theme. Also, trying something new with this contest and I gave it a roleplaying-feel to it. So now I will present to you the prompt:
In the forest is a small, abandoned village; the old wooden houses and church could have a lovely rustic atmosphere, but in the darkness of the night, as the wind howls and tugs on loose exterior shutters and the rain pours down, the empty village feels sinister.
The roofs of most buildings seem to be in decent condition, so shelter from the rain can be found here, but there are rumours…
Take that house to the right; it is said a woman was murdered there and her spirits still resides inside.
Or the church, of which the doors have fallen from the hinges. It should be a holy place, but the last priest went mad and when the wind blows through the cracks it sounds like unholy laughter…
And the house on the left, wasn’t that the house where the rumoured cannibal lived?
A bone-chilling howl sounds from somewhere inside the forest. Wolf? Or something worse? It’s raining so you can’t see the moon, but you know that the clouds hide a full moon tonight.
What do you do? Do you leave this eerie village and try to find a cabin further in the woods, or do you take your chances with one of the three buildings?
- At all times follow the Fundamental Rules of the Guild and the Moderation Policy for Forum Contests.
- After reading the above this should be obvious: No plagiarism and respect copyright laws.
- The story you submit must be written by you and specifically for this contest.
- This is a place for original fiction, no fanfiction allowed.
- No explicit sex, but you may fade to black.
- No excessive violence or gore.
- Don’t forget to subscribe to this thread. You will receive updates on the contest and on the number of entries, and reminders about the deadline here. I will not PM them.
- The goal is to write a horror story with the prompt as your starting location. How your character(s) ended up in the village, where they will go or what will happen next is up to you.
- There will be a minimum word count of 500 and a maximum of 5000
- Please PM @Calle the entries and give it as title RPGC#29 - (Your Title).
- Your entry can be anonymous or carry your name. Let me know what you want in the PM. If you don't specify, your entry will be posted anonymously, but you may always claim your story during or after the voting round.
Even for anonymous entries, the name of the writer will be added to the entry in the Hall of Fame.
- The deadline is October 31th, 9:00 CET, which is 7:00 game time (both times are in a.m.)
Number of entries so far: 4