The Faraway Land
Once upon a time, in a faraway land, the dark dragon Yddrog rebelled against his creator and patron demigodess, the Archon of Regret. With an endless army of monsters at his back and half the world at his feet, victory was nearly within his grasp - until the Archon revealed her Chosen Champions. Gifted with her power to respawn after death, they grew impossibly strong, and swept through his armies with terrifying ferocity. Using weapons created with Regret's own lifeblood, the Champions slew the dragon and banished his soul to the Afterworld, where he was expected to remain until the end of days.
He did not.
A thousand years hence, fanatical Dragon Cultists, worshippers of Yddrog, kidnapped one of Regret's descendants, the Princess of Aetherion, and sacrificed her in a blood ritual to return the dragon's soul to his body. Thus risen, he followed his old master's example and summoned immortal champions of his own to avenge himself: the Blood Lords, homonculi created with Yddrog's blood running through their veins and bound by blood to do their master's bidding.
You, players, are those Champions. But your loyalty to him is not wholly guaranteed, for one very good reason: you were once Regret's champions, the very ones who slew Yddrog. Your memories with her are lost, and your former bodies have long since turned to dust, but your patron's soul-bond remains strong, drawing you inexorably to your lady. You cannot serve both Yddrog and Regret, for if you fight against Yddrog, your bodies will suffer agony, while if you fight against Regret, your minds will suffer the torment of her namesake. So choose well whom you will serve, and sever your bond with the other if you can, for the time is coming when neither master shall long endure the other.
- Name: In Aetherion, where most of this story takes place, standard medieval fantasy names are common, but you may use any naming convention you wish.
- Appearance: Describe your character the way a historian might if they were interviewing your character or someone who knew them. Make sure to include details like their age, gender, All-Points Bulletin characteristics (eye color, hair color, etc.), and such like.
- Origin: Who was your character, originally? Before they became the Archon's Champion, were they a Royal Knight or Crown Prince with an axe to grind? A talented farmer who caught Regret's eye? A NEET from modern Japan who got isekai'd to this world? Tell us a little about who they are and where they're from.
- Stake: What's your stake in this adventure? Yeah, having your body and soul torn between two patrons is an unpleasant situation, but an easy way to avoid angering both is to just sit around doing nothing. We can't have that. So what was the straw that broke the camel's back? What got you on your feet and moving to choose one patron or the other? Is there a loved one you'd like to see again? A dream you wish to fulfill someday? Post your initial plans here, and we'll discuss them further via PM to tie them into the larger plot.
- Strengths: This can include skills, magic powers, special equipment, and whatnot. Your bodies will generally be around the peak of human ability, and you can spend Dragon Blood to cast magic spells. No need to cut yourself for that or anything; treat it like mana for roleplaying purposes. Your bodies will spend blood internally whenever you cast.
- Preferred Patron: Regret, Yddrog, both, or neither.
Note that all players possess an innate ability to respawn in a safe space of their choosing when they die, provided they have enough Immortal Blood in their veins to do so. While you'd normally have to wait about 1 month per pint to replenish it, you can replenish it more quickly by drawing from your patron. Naturally, you'd have to have a good relationship with your patron before they'd allow that. Your patron (Yddrog by default) also reserves the right to summon you to their side whenever they wish.
Let's talk briefly about your two Archon masters and the player characters beneath them.
Regret: A warm and kind woman whose powerful lingering regrets earned her immortality. She loves humankind, for all their faults, and tirelessly seeks their betterment through benevolent leadership and innovation. Her strength is a gentle sort, the kind that can weather all the storms of life, but will not break under any force. Those who contract with her shall be granted the gift of her blood, through which they shall receive immortality.
Yddrog: A dragon Regret created to help her protect and rule the human race. Ironically, the creature himself proved unfit to rule, for his overwhelming power went to his head, and his arrogance at his superior position drove him to tyranny. Having fancied himself stronger than his mistress, he disregarded her advice as his creator and sought to kill her so he could seize her power for himself. A thousand years after his banishment, fanatical Dragon Cultists who worshipped Yddrog recovered all the pieces of his body and resurrected him with the blood of a princess. He is a ruthless yet charismatic leader, cruel to his enemies and generous to his allies, but never wholly trusting of anyone. He is especially merciless toward humans, effortlessly slaughtering men, women, and children alike with childish glee whenever opportunity permits. Monsters rarely fare any better at human hands, so they tend to gather at his side when given the choice. Those who possess his blood and serve him will gain supernatural strength and durability, along with ageless life, and may even gain draconic traits.
Homonculus: Artificial, perfected bodies based on their owners' idealized versions of themselves, designed (by Regret, mostly) to house immortal souls. They produce no waste, since their bodies process nutrients more completely and store the excess, and they do not hunger or thirst nearly as often. They also do not age, though they can still be destroyed easily by most other means. These abilities are also true of their former patron Regret.
Players will begin their adventures in the Underdark, a vast, underground labyrinth where the Dragon Cultists and their monster allies make their home. Constant raids from the Adventurer's Guild and the Knights of Aetherion, together with retaliatory strikes upon human settlements, will keep Yddrog's Champions very busy. Whenever you accomplish an objective, be it one thrust upon you by another or taken up by yourself, you will gain an experience point, which you can spend to either Raise or Strain your Bond with either one of your patrons. Raising bonds with both patrons will improve your powers from both, but will rapidly drive your character insane and kill them. Straining bonds with both patrons will eventually set you free from the both of them, but deprive you of both their powers and render you wholly mortal. Raising one bond and straining the other will improve your powers from your chosen patron and net you their unique Hidden Abilities.
Let me know if this story interests you!