▲ Doctor Faze
Dr. Austin Elliot Daley
╟ 27 || Irish American || Male ╢
⋙: Ｒ Ｅ Ｐ Ｕ Ｔ Ａ Ｔ Ｉ Ｏ Ｎ
Before the awakening of his Enhanced abilities, Austin was the type of guy that you would pass by in the streets without even noticing. His physical appearance was average at best, and he lacked any semblance of social skills or natural charisma. The only saving grace that he had was his keen intellect.
Growing up in a poverty-stricken area of Detroit, young Austin fought the status quo by diving into books and studies rather than gaining ‘street smarts’ like his troubled peers. After scoring a few points shy of a perfect score on the SAT - the wording on that question was ambiguous - Austin had his ticket out of the slums. With a score that high, he could have went anywhere, even the Ivy League’s made him offers.
Despite what most would consider the alluring temptation to leave Detroit behind and never look back, Austin stayed local. He accepted a full ride scholarship at the University of Michigan, where he has spent the better part of the past 9 years earning a bachelor’s, a master’s, and finally a doctoral degree in mechanical engineering.
Austin was 22 years old when his powers overcame him for the first time. As it turns out, even super geniuses get stressed out about their graduate-level research failures, and stress is the number one trigger for Enhanced emergence. After taking almost a year off and traveling to remote areas of the world to practice and study his newfound abilities, Austin returned to continue his education.
Eventually, Austin confided in his best friend, Serenity Lavi, and he was surprised to learn that she too was… unique. They found others like them in time, including Ren’s now-fiance, Nathaniel. Together, under Nate’s leadership, the Coalition was born.
On the surface, Austin doesn’t seem like the ideal candidate for a super hero. He isn’t overly confident, nor strong, nor dashingly handsome. The public, however, has found a certain level of charm and relatability in his awkwardness and dorky ‘boy-next-door’ looks. Inner-city kids look up to him as a role model of how you can overcome bullying and the struggles of poverty by focusing, working hard, and staying true to yourself. Doc is mostly known as the brain of the group, his doctoral research on laser technology was deemed useful for the Coalition and, as such, was funded by the government these past few years.
Between his studies, fighting crime, saving the city, and endlessly researching and tinkering with new tech in the Watchtower’s state of the art lab, most people assume that the man never sleeps. That much is true, he doesn’t really, there is far too much to be learned and done, especially now.
⋙: Ｐ Ｏ Ｗ Ｅ Ｒ Ｓ ＆ Ｆ Ｉ Ｇ Ｈ Ｔ Ｉ Ｎ Ｇ Ｓ Ｔ Ｙ Ｌ Ｅ
A B I L I T I E S
M A T T E R S T A T E M A N I P U L A T I O N
Doctor Faze has mastered control over phase changes. He is able to use his powers to change any substance, including himself, into any other state of matter. The four states of matter under his domain are solid, liquid, gas, and plasma. Shifting between these states, fazing as Austin has dorkily coined it, often involves an intense burst or loss of heat in the surrounding area, depending on the direction of change. Fusion, vaporization, sublimation, and ionization all use heat. Freezing, condensing, deposition, and deionization all produce heat. The magnitude of the environmental temperature change directly correlates to the amount of matter undergoing the phase change.
- Air Solidification: The ability to manipulate pressure in the air enough to solidify it. The level of air solidity can be anywhere from loose jelly to metallic hardness, depending on how much energy is put into it. This application of Doc’s abilities serves as a good source of shielding and barrier against attacks for the Coalition.
- Constructs Creation: The ability to form solid weapons, tools, and many other objects from surrounding liquid or gas. These constructs are lifeless, but able to function as well as a naturally made version of the construct would. Sometimes technology fails you, it’s advantageous to be able to improvise mid-fight.
- Intangibility: The ability to pass through solid objects. Doc can temporarily shift a solid barrier to liquid or gaseous state in order to move his solid form through it. This is especially useful for getting into locked/secure locations, or as a quick escape from a dangerous situation.
- Non-corporeal Form: The ability to transform into a bodiless being. In his gaseous state, Doctor Faze is nearly untouchable, and invulnerable to most physical attacks. Energy based assaults, especially spark or flame, is incredibly effective against this form. It turns out that a concentrated cloud of carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen gas is highly combustible, who knew?
- Partial Invisibility: The ability to render oneself almost unseen. In gaseous form, Doc is practically invisible to the naked eye. If a person is supernaturally perceptive, very familiar with his powers, or in a harshly lit environment, Austin may appear as a slight blurry patch in the air, but nothing more. In most situations, this ability functions as well as genuine invisibility.
- Flight: The ability to fly, that’s pretty self explanatory. When in gaseous form, Doctor Faze can essential fly. Gaseous human is less dense than liquid or solid human, and most gases float freely. Doc often mimics teleportation by subliming, flying in his mostly invisible gaseous state, and then depositing in a new location. Gaseous flight is much faster than traveling in solid form.
- Plasma State: The ability to shift one’s body into plasma - fully ionized gas of low density. As positive ions and electrons move in this state, electrical currents and magnetic fields are generated. Doc’s plasma state was the hardest to unleash and control, and it is the most offensive ability in his power kit. Depending on the material he passes through in plasma state, electrical damage can be dealt, fires can be started, and metal can bend. Any ability that can be done in gaseous form can also be done in plasma form.
C O M B A T
In addition to his Enhanced abilities, Doctor Faze also incorporates his hand-crafted technology into combat. Secured to each of his wrists are two high power lasers of his own design - the pride and joy of his graduate research. The extremely concentrated beam of light that they produce is so hot that it sears through flesh and bone, and can melt most metals. While these lasers and his plasma state are potentially lethal offenses, Doc hardly ever uses them. Austin is not a naturally combative person and, conveniently enough, his primarily defensive abilities reflect that. Because of his docile and altruistic nature, Doc functions mainly as a party support. Solidified air shields protect both himself and allies from projectile attacks. Construct creation is a handy skill when the squad finds themselves in a sticky situation. Gaseous form packs with it a whole torrent of non-lethal utility in combat.
For a man whose dorkiness knows no bounds, Doctor Faze often calls out his phase changes mid-battle, as if he is an anime protagonist using his ultimate move. Who said fighting crime had to be boring? When your life suddenly becomes a real world comic book, you might as well own it! As for morality, Doctor Faze fully believes that it is not necessary to kill, or even physically harm the bad guys sometimes, you just need to stop them. If violence can be avoided, he'd much prefer that route. That being said, if one of his allies’ lives were put in danger, he would not hesitate to activate his lasers and snuff out the threat… at least, he likes to think he would be heroic enough to do that.
⋙: Ａ Ｐ Ｐ Ｅ Ａ Ｒ Ａ Ｎ Ｃ Ｅ ＆ Ｐ Ｅ Ｒ Ｓ Ｏ Ｎ Ａ Ｌ Ｉ Ｔ Ｙ
L O O K S & S T Y L E
The Super Suit - minus the face that is obviously not Austin’s, and instead of the star shape on the chest, there is an atomic symbol with a ‘C’ in the center of the nucleus.
In his everyday life - the one that doesn’t involve super suits - Austin looks appropriately dweeby for a scientist that gets little to no rest at all. Somewhat unkempt, his jawline is perpetually shadowed with stubble, and his chin-length hair only sees a proper barber’s chair once every few years. Unkempt is not to say unclean, as Austin showers daily, he isn’t that kind of nerd, at least he hasn’t been since middle school. Strikingly handsome blue eyes are made less-so by the commonly sported dark circles beneath them, at least his teeth are straight and white! His clothing style borders the line between ‘geeky professional’ and ‘my-mom-still-dresses-me’, which really aren’t all that different, to be honest. That is to say, Austin is normally spotted wearing a button-down or polo shirt and khaki pants, or nerdy screen tees and jeans if he is feeling particularly lazy. When working in the lab, a classic white lab coat tops these garments most of the time.
P E R S O N A L I T Y T R A I T S
- Erudite ~ an incredibly well-educated and intellectual individual who seeks to never stop learning or improving.
- Apprehensive ~ overly anxious and cautious in social situations for fear of how he may be perceived.
- Empathetic ~ while not the best at showing it, extremely understanding and compassionate toward friends and the feelings of others.
- Non-confrontational ~ would much rather deal with a situation calmly and diplomatically, aggression and hostility make him skittish.
- Reliable ~ a trustworthy, loyal, and supportive friend and ally.
- Pretentious ~ this really only applies when it comes to academics, in all other situations he is quite humble.
- Altruistic ~ genuinely selfless in a way that is nearly extinct these days. The majority of his salary is sent to support his family rather than be spent on himself, they need it more.
- Socially Awkward/Inept ~ the severity of this depends on who you ask, simply put, he doesn’t always pick up on social cues that seem obvious to others.
- Unremitting ~ when his mind is set on something, he cannot relax until he feels that his goal has been met, which rarely happens.
⋙: Ｆ Ａ Ｍ Ｉ Ｌ Ｙ ＆ Ｒ Ｅ Ｌ Ａ Ｔ Ｉ Ｏ Ｎ Ｓ Ｈ Ｉ Ｐ Ｓ
L O V E D O N E S
F A M I L Y
Matthew Daley: Father. Age 54 (would be). In his lifetime, a known alcoholic and not-so-known spousal abuser. Passed away in a workplace accident at age 36.
Amelia Marshall: Mother. Age 50. A hardworking waitress and mother of three who was dealt a far more terrible hand in life than anyone deserves. The widow remarried at age 35 after falling pregnant with her youngest.
Richard Marshall: Step-father. Age 53. A chef and manager at the restaurant that Amelia worked at for over a decade. He treats Amelia well and has a good relationship with all of her children.
Jeremy Daley: Brother. Age 30. A recovering drug addict and living proof of how growing up in poverty can negatively impact you forever. His relationship with Austin has always been strained, but may improve now that he is turning his life around with a baby on the way.
Callie Marshall: Half-sister. Age 15. A rebellious young artist with a taste for loud music and bad boyfriends. She means the world to Austin and he prays that her ‘free spirit’ doesn’t result in her having a bun in the oven before graduation.
F R I E N D S
Serenity Lavi: Best Friend. Age 26. Ren and Austin met he was only seven years old. She looked so frightened and confused by the world around her that he couldn’t help but try to make her feel better. As classmates and residents of the same neighborhood, they grew up together and grew even closer as the years went on.
Benjamin ‘Benny’ McGregor: Close Friend. Age 28. Austin met Benny in undergrad. They shared similar hobbies, namely favorite video games and a major in engineering. Even though life has taken them in different directions, they try to keep in contact by playing online games at least once a month.
Y O U R L I F E S O F A R
- 1990 - Born.
- 1995 - Started Kindergarten and fell in love with learning.
- 1997 - Serenity moved into town and Austin found his first and only best friend.
- 1998 - Checked out first his comic book from the public library.
- 1999 - Dad died from a fall on a construction job, drunkenness was suspected.
- 2002 - Mom married Richard and Callie was born shortly after.
- 2004 - Older brother dropped out of school and ran away for a while.
- 2006 - Graduated high school a year early and started undergrad at University of Michigan.
- 2009 - Lost virginity in a very regrettable, drunken situation.
- 2010 - Earned bachelor’s degree in engineering, graduated summa cum laude.
- 2012 - Went into gaseous form for the first time out of stress, took almost a year off to cope.
- 2013 - Earned master’s degree in mechanical engineering, and the Coalition also formed.
- 2017 - Earned doctoral degree in mechanical engineering
⋙:Ａ Ｎ Ｙ Ｔ Ｈ Ｉ Ｎ Ｇ Ｅ Ｌ Ｓ Ｅ
A superhero I like? Well, like any good emo kid, I really like Batman’s edginess. :P
FC: Jonathan Jackson