Jack Kolanthy Aliases:
None. Jack uses his name.Titles:
The Hero of Alsimar, The Mageling, Jack of Spades. Age:
23Place of Origin:
Alsimar City. Kingdom:
Blonde.Day To Day Attire:
Clean tunic, trousers, flowy sleeves, his cloak. Usually dressed in neutral tones, and has a taste for simple elegance when it comes to fashion.Strengths:
Confident, charming, resourceful, powerful.Weaknesses:
Immature, cocky, headstrong.
Arrogant * Hot-Headed * Brave * LoyalSexuality:
Single. Was in love with Elyana, a member of his adventuring party, but died before anything came of it.Personality:
Jack Kolanthy is a person of energy, enthusiasm, and a fiery temper. He has an enormous lust for life, always eager to laugh or smile but just as ready to start melting faces should the need arise. Much of his courage is born of arrogance and confidence in his abilities, but much of it is also genuine; he will never back down from a fight, and for those he calls friends he will kill and die. Early in his life he was a deeply self-centered person, but later the influence of his friends caused him to nurture his moral instincts and do more good for the sake of goodness, culminating in the last act of sacrifice that would become his legacy.
A listing of skills, such as horseback riding or cooking. Levels include novice (0.5 pt), apprentice (1 pt), journeyman (2 pt), expert (3 pt), master (4 pt), grand master (5 pt). Each character can spend 21 points & only two skills can be mastered and one grand mastered. If your character knows magic, it counts as a skill.
- SKILL NAME: Grand Master Magic User. In terms of the raw magical power he was capable of producing, Jack is quite possibly the most powerful wizard in recorded history. Though he was occasionally derided in his day for wielding his power like a cudgel, preferring to rely on overwhelming force rather than skill or subtlety, there can be little doubt that the Jack of Spades was an absolute freak of nature when it came to sustaining his magic – he was not the most skilled mage, nor the most talented, he just never ran out of juice.
- SKILL NAME: Master Battle Mage. Jack saw more than his share of conflict in his adventuring days, and he was an expert at making things dead with magic, adept at choosing the right spell for the job and aiming the perfect fireball.
- SKILL NAME: Master Conjurer. Jack was equally talented with the creation of inanimate objects from raw magical energy, though items conjured in such a fashion rarely lasted very long once he stopped thinking about them, and even he couldn’t manage to conjure anything larger than, say, a medium-sized dog.
- SKILL NAME: Expert Monsterologist. Whenever he and his party encountered some magic beast they had never seen before, it was Jack’s job to know about it; as such, he has a decent if not fool-proof mental encyclopedia of magical creatures, their behaviors, diets, etc.
- SKILL NAME: Journeyman Crime Boss. Before Elyana and her companions found him and convinced him to change his ways, he had intimidated, outplayed, or outright annihilated most of his rivals and was secure in his position as chief of organized crime in Alsimar City. He still remembers those days, however much he regrets them, and knows how criminal organizations work and how they keep people in line.
- SKILL NAME: Expert Swordfighter. Elyana gave him lessons in swordplay during his adventuring days, insisting that he would need to be able to protect himself if his magical abilities failed him. He humored her, and actually ended up getting pretty good at it in spite of himself.
A listing of favorite or unique spells, if any. Maximum of four.
- MAGIC SPELL: Mageling Blast. An arcane technique invented by Jack that no wizard has since been able to replicate, the Mageling Blast is not so much a spell as it is a pure expression of Jack’s sheer arcane power – it takes the form of a magical beam of pure energy, laced with fire and frost and sparking with radiant electrical might. Entirely lacking in subtlety, this spell is more or less Jack hosing arcane power at his opponent until they fall over, and can blast through physical and magical barriers alike as it attempts to liquify its target. Its use is a sure sign that Jack has finished screwing around and is now getting serious about obliterating his enemy.
- MAGIC SPELL: Epic Teleport. Some of Jack’s recorded feats of teleportation have been disputed by magi historians as being almost certainly exaggerated, such was the power they would have required; but the truth is very close to the stories. Jack is capable of opening portals to almost anywhere in the entire world, so long as he’s been there before, though particularly far ones require a lot of effort to maintain.
- MAGIC SPELL: Telekinesis. One of the only forms of magic Jack exercises with any skill and tact is the art of moving things with his mind – Jack can juggle a good number of items in the air, manipulating them as projectiles or just putting on a show, or can wrap himself in telekinetic force to fly at high speeds.
- MAGIC SPELL: The Shake’n’Shock. One of Jack’s personal favorites for taking out an unsuspecting opponent; approach them, introduce yourself, grab their hand to shake it before they have time to react and then fill them with enough magical energy to turn an elephant to ash. In his own words, “You can’t beat the classics.”
A listing of acquired artifacts. Maximum of three.
Myth / Legend:
- ARTIFACT: The Cloak of Pockets – a dark blue cloak with a literally infinite amount of pockets sewed into it. Each pocket is capable of holding objects five times the size it should, and he can locate the appropriate pocket for the item he’s looking for instantly as well as always being able to find an empty one to store something new.
- ARTIFACT: The Staff of the Mageling. A simple wooden staff tipped with limestone. A priceless artifact, said to be the source of the Mageling’s incredible power. In reality, it’s just a walking stick, but that hasn’t stopped countless thieves, wizards and witches from coveting it and attempting to unlock its secrets.
The Mageling is regarded as one of the most powerful wizards ever to exist in the known world. Entire volumes have been written about his exploits, attempting to understand how he achieved the feats he did with such little training or pondering if such a person could ever be replicated. However, to non-wizards, he is significantly more famous as Jack of Spades, the hero who gave his life in an epic duel with the dark monster Nartaron and in doing so, saved the known world. He is the symbol and hero of his native kingdom of Alsimar, a favorite figure in folk tales and drinking songs, and thanks to the efforts of his former companions, forever remembered as a courageous man who used his great powers for good. His sacrifice is commemorated in a traditional holiday in many cities, known as Spadesday, a day for feasting, merriment and storytelling in which adults play at being monsters and children join forces with ‘Jack of Spades’ (an adult in disguise, usually a mage) to drive them off.Parents:
He has no idea.Siblings:
None as far as he knows.Childhood:
Jack’s earliest memories were on the streets of Alsimar city, scavenging for food in gutters and avoiding boys larger than him. He has no idea how he got there or who his parents were; probably just criminal nobodies like him who dumped him on the streets or got arrested before they could find him again. When his powers manifested at the age of six, he went from living in fear to living like a king – anything he wanted, he took, and anyone who got in his way, he fried. He grew up in decadence and glory, becoming the tyrant of the city’s criminal underworld and ruling through fear, but his powers had yet to reach their full height. When he was seventeen years old, his hideout was invaded by a band of young adventurers, led by a novice paladin of the Pale Lady named Elyana, and though he put up a good fight, he was no match for them. However, Elyana sensed something in the young tyrant that suggested he was not beyond saving, and rather than taking him to justice she offered him the chance to join them on their adventures to work off his debt to society through heroism. He accepted.Adulthood:
Jack traveled with them for several years, and their skill and fame began to rise sharply. They delved into ancient ruins, slew unspeakable monsters, carried away mountains of treasure from haunted barrows. All the while, Jack drew closer and closer to Elyana, though he never spoke of his feelings to her or anyone; he was no stranger to female company, but something about her was… different. He could have lived in that way forever, but it was not to be.
An evil rose in the west. Nartaron, a former paladin of Elyana’s order, had been corrupted by the Darkness, and so filled with unholy power that he became a monster capable of cutting down entire armies, and at the head of a host of dark creatures he set out to destroy the realms of men starting with Alsimar. Many died in the war that followed, but despite the best efforts of the kingdom and its allies, Nartaron’s dark advance could not be stopped. In an act of immense courage and heroism, Jack and his companions infiltrated Nartaron’s camp and stole his helmet, the key to his vile powers, and brought it back to the paladins to destroy it, that he and his host might be banished; the last hope of the armies of the light. But the ritual of destruction would take time that was not available, for Nartaron’s army bore down on the city in a fury, seeking to reclaim their master’s treasure. In a last act of courage, Jack sallied forth to meet him, engaging Nartaron in single combat outside the gates of the Pale Lady’s temple and fighting him to a standstill, after teleporting Elyana and his companions unwillingly to safety. Jack knew he would be unable to match the power and skill of the dark knight, who ran him through with his dark blade and walked across his broken body into the temple. In that moment, the ritual was completed, the helm destroyed, and Nartaron and his army banished to the realms of darkness. Jack was buried in a state funeral and praised as a hero, and his adventuring party retired to live out their days, always remembering the brave, arrogant mage.Special Moments:
Manifesting his magic for the first time, meeting his party, falling in love with Elyana, sacrificing himself to save the world.
* ☠ Enemy * ⚜ Unfriendly * ☯ Neutral * ☮ Friends * ღ Ally * ♥ Crush/Significant Other *
- Name: Description
- Name: Description
- Name: Description
- Name: Description
- Name: Description
- Name: Description
“Don’t tell me how things are; tell me how they should be, and I’ll make them that way.”Theme Song: Aura Color:
Pine smoke and rosewater.Anything Else:
Last words: “Even you have to admit, I had a good run,” spoken to Nartaron, moments before being impaled.