Why the Reboot?
Because the last game started with the World Martial Arts Tournament, a very cliche beginning to almost every Dragon Ball game hosted on here. I could tell my players were growing bored with the idea, and so I decided to start this game differently. The way a real DB game should start. We're going to have most of the same folks from the last game with their characters in this one, but the first Chapter/Saga will be more open world. Read below.
Meat and Potatoes
This is a role play based in the Dragon Ball Universe. There are certain aspects of the DBU that will be highly-manipulated for the sake of making this a workable RP idea. If while you are reading over this game, you decide that you are not interested, then please move on and do not cause any drama. This will be an original universe. All canon characters from the manga and series do not exist. In this DBU world, the story will revolve around what we make of it. This game will have elements of sandbox with a GM-led plot. It is highly-encouraged for players to interact and write together in order to make a nice story.
I do not plan for this game to move that fast. I expect the game to move leisurely. If you are expecting a rapid-fire game, then move along. Do not join this game because it will move in a patient manner not to exceed two weeks of inactivity. Players have 14 days to get in contact with the GM if they haven’t told the GM already about their absences. A player who hasn’t posted in 30 days will automatically be dropped from the game.
In this DBU game, as a GM, I am hoping to see some creative ideas within the limitations provided by my game. As with the DB franchise, the combat in this game will be important and players will be rewarded for participating in such scenarios. If your combat writing is poor, then you can expect it to get better in this game. While most of the combat encounters will be PVE, there will be opportunities for PVP. Players do not have to participate in PVP, but those who do will be rewarded. The PVP will not be PVP for the sake of PVP but will come around during specific plotlines in the story. I just gave you the run-down of the entire game and how it will go. If you’ve made it this far, continue on to learn more.
The planet is Fictional Earth (Dragon World), but this is an alternate universe of DBU. While all the events originally took place in Universe 7, our Universe is Parallel Universe 7 (reverse 7). In this universe, Planet Vegeta still exists and has not been blown to pieces. This universe is a clean plate, so whatever happens, happens and becomes a part of this universe’s history. Earth is modern-futuristic with its technology. Flying vehicles, robots, and compact-space technology exist; and space travel is possible though not common. Earth currently is very xenophobic and very few people who are sane or not in such a field of study believe that aliens exist or that there is even life in outerspace.
The continent in which this game exists is unnamed in the series, but for this game we’re going to call it “Kujira,” which is Japanese for “whale.” The map is oddly in the shape of a whale, and so therefore, that is the name. Below is a map created by a DeviantArt artist, and it will be the map used in this game. All canon references can be ignored. However, use this for reference for your character’s origin story.
Below I am listing only the major races allowed in this game. If you do not see a certain race in this game, then it is not permitted. OC races are not allowed in this game.
Humans: Humans are the dominant race in Kujira. Unlike how they are depicted in the DB franchise, in this game, humans stand as much of a chance as Saiyans. However, what separates a superhuman from an average human in this world is their martial arts. Martial artists possess a higher level of ki and have the discipline to transcend to a much stronger level. Other sub-races included in the human category are: magi, cyborgs, mutants, and bio-engineered humans. These sub-races may have unique qualities such as weapon programs, supernatural abilities, and magic.
- Magi only grow stronger by learning new spells. Magi are incapable of sensing/using ki. Instead, magi are capable of sensing magic and paranormal occurrences caused by another magi tampering with magic.
- Cyborgs only grow stronger by acquiring weapon upgrades, which they can only acquire from a scientist or engineer, thus making them dependent on such a character existing in game. They are not able to use ki. They cannot sense ki naturally and instead will have to acquire the ability by a special program.
- Mutants are limited by their mutation. The ability their mutation granted them is the only ability that will grow stronger. Mutants are not martial artists. They focus on developing their mutant ability. They cannot sense ki, but they can sense other mutants.
- Bio-Engineered Humans these are humans who were either artificially created through genetic engineering or had genetic engineering performed on their bodies. These humans are naturally above average and are created/designed for a purpose. They are often seen bound to a government agency. Similar to Cyborgs, these humans can only advance in strength by undergoing experimentation. Therefore, their creator must be a character in the game.
Clarification: The sub-race of Human are an option. Players can play normal humans, but if you want your normal human to stand a chance in this game, then he or she must know a martial art. The martial art can be completely made-up or inspired by an actual martial art. If you are planning to make a hybrid style of multiple martial arts, instead of listing the martial art styles, just make an original martial art. Spare us.
Beastmen: Beastmen are animals except for insects and mythical animals. Dinosaurs exist on Kujira just as normal animals exist. The Beastmen are a race who are anthropomorphic mammals and reptiles, and can be dinomen as well. The Dragon class or any mythical species does not naturally exist on Earth, and instead, is treated as a foreign species. It can also be treated as a summoned creature by a Magi. I am willing to twist some things for those who wish to have a dragon Beastman or some other mythic Beastmen—however, there will be a very hard limit on these types. Like humans, there can be cyborg, mutant, and bio-engineered beastmen. Beastmen possess the qualities of the animal whose appearance they mimic, which makes them naturally above the average human. For a normal beastman (non-subrace Beastman) to be above the average beastman, the beastman would have to be a martial artist.
Androids: Androids are a common sight mostly around populated cities. They perform several services such as cleaning, building, travel guide, interpreter, etc. They are even programmed to serve defense purposes such as assisting police officers in stopping crime or the military in combating terrorists. The artificial intelligence (A.I.) of an android can be as advanced as they are capable of human-like emotion or as simplistic as basic computation. The human or beastman types are very rare for they require tons of money and resources to create. These machines are rarely seen and if they do exist, very few people can tell them apart from anyone else. Androids can function without a creator, however, if they wish to advance in power, then they need an engineer who will grant them such enhancements.
Not all alien races are listed here. Why? Because they are not permitted in this game. If you don’t like that, then do not join. This does not mean you won't see these alien races in the game, it just means they are not playable.
Saiyans: Just a warning, if this game receives too many Saiyans, then I will limit the race. The only sub-race I’ll allow of the Saiyan race is a Half-Saiyan/Half-Human. If you do plan to make a Half-Saiyan/Half-Human, then I expect an explanation to be in your character’s origin story seeing as Planet Vegeta exists and the Saiyans are a conqueror race. If you plan to play a Saiyan period, then there better be a valid explanation for why they are on Earth, how did they get here, and what is their goal? [Race Reference: Saiyans]
Namekians: All the Namekians resemble males, and they reproduce asexually. I am not going to write a race description for them. You can read about them here. [Race Reference: Namekian]
This is a summary of the first saga of the game. Players can sandbox and will be able to see this plot gradually unfold as they play.
GM Plot Type: PvE (PVP is optional between players who agree to it)
The peace of the planet Earth is abruptly disrupted by the arrival of an alien ship. The ship lands like a meteor, putting a crater in Parsely City the size of a city block. Skyscrapers crumble, people run in panic and terror, and news reporters rush to the scene. Were they attacked? Was it a terrorist bombing? Rising from the crater to the citizens awe is a green man who offers no introduction as the people silently gaze on. He instead scans the beings around him, his hand resting on a strange orange glass visor that crosses both of his eyes. Once he lowers his hand, he hold it out before the people, and in a flash of white light, Parsely City is no more than a swirling gargantuan dome of white-hot energy. In an instant, the city and all of its people were gone, and the invader nowhere to be seen. Left behind is only his empty ship and the crater it made.
The Story: Your character might have seen the incident on television just before the screen went blank or felt the sudden skyrocket of ki. There is an alien menace on Earth named Dyce, and he is seeking out Earth’s strongest fighters in order to quickly obliterate them in preparation for his race’s invasion. His race is known as the Zandols. An alien species of warriors who seek out weakness and destroy it. Only the strong deserve to exist, and so the planet is purged, conquered, used, and destroyed after they’re done. Other alien races have compared the Zandols to weeds, how they take over a nice garden, and destroy its beauty. They populate in a hydra process. All it takes is one Zandol to conquer a planet for if any part of him is split into pieces, then those pieces will grow into a new warrior. Again, weeds.
Player Goal: Your goal is to come to this Saga with a character who is not at “end game” level. What I mean by “end game” level is you don’t create a character that has nothing to learn because they know everything like a Mary Sue. Allow your character to grow and develop. Allow your character to meet other characters and don’t make too many NPCs to the point you’re writing with yourself. Do not come here to write with yourself. This is a role playing “group game.” Write together! Build stories. This saga is going to be added to your character’s back story after.
PVE & PVP
This section will explain combat etiquette for both PVE & PVP. If you are to engage in combat with GM-controlled NPCs (PVE) or another player (PVP), there is a very simple etiquette to use. The GM will not control all minions. The GM only controls mini-bosses and bosses, so if you are ever thrown into a GM-situation with multiple minions, you, the player is free to dictate their demise. However, if you are engaging a named GM-controlled mini-boss or boss, then there are some simple rules to follow:
1. Never Auto-Attack a Mini-Boss/Boss or Another Player. As mentioned above, minions are free game. However, mini-bosses/bosses and other players are not. When you are writing an attack toward a MB/B or player character, you must not complete the attack by writing the results. Here is an example:
Bob ran toward Suzie, swung with a right hook for her jaw, and shattered her jaw with his fist. Bob then quickly ran away before she could fight back.
The post above is garbage. Do not write this garbage in my game. Do not ever dictate what happens to another player’s character or my bosses. You do not know how that player will react or if your attack will even hit. Now below, is the correct way to write an action:
Bob ran toward Suzie and swung with a right hook for her jaw.
This post leaves the outcome open to be dictated by the other player. Your goal in a PVP match is to force your opponent into a corner like chess. You can do this merely by challenging their attention to detail. If they swing at you with their right fist, but you react to their left fist by mistake, and it wasn’t their left fist attacking, then you gave your opponent a hit.
This leads us to the next discussion.
2. There are only a certain amount of actions you can perform in a single turn.
You can either write an attack and a defensive move, two attack moves, or one to two defense moves. I will give an example of two.
Attack-Defense: Bob carefully stepped toward Suzie. His right arm was curled at the elbow, fist clenched at cheekbone level in a guard (defense). His left fist jabbed outwards toward her mouth, fist rotating to deliver his full force behind it (attack).
Explanation: In Attack-Defense, your character not only attacks but sets up a defense in the case of a counter.
Attack-Attack: Bob hopped a foot toward Suzie, his right leg rising and tucking at hip level before it thrust out, sending his foot toward her gut. His right foot then quickly retracted, his right leg curling before he thrust it out once more, sending his foot toward Suzie’s chin.
Explanation: In Attack-Attack, the character sacrifices his or her defense in order to execute two attacks in what is deemed a “chain.” A chain is tricky and should only be used as a finisher or if there’s an opportunity to take the advantage, say if an opponent is stunned or disoriented. A healthy opponent can break the chain by reacting to the first attack, which will nullify the second attack ever happening. Here’s an example of that:
Chain Break: Suzie pivoted on her right-foot and turned outward and sideways to Bob. Her left hand snagged his right ankle and the palm of her right hand thrust toward his kneecap with enough force to possibly break it.
Explanation: Suzie never responds to Bob’s second attack because it never happened. Because Suzie reacted to the first attack, the second attack was nullified for Bob’s writer had implied that the following motion would have happened if his initial attack had been successful and not hindered. Suzie’s counter will more than likely be a hit for Bob didn’t set up any defenses to counter it. What Suzie used to counter Bob was Attack-Defense. Suzie also mentioned the intended strength of her strike, but didn't compromise her intentions by saying the assault, fore sure, happened.
Defense-Defense: Now a defensive move can be an evasion (dodge motions: side-step, duck, pivot, lean, dip, step-back, dive, etc.), a grab, or a stance. Defense-Defense is usually performed when a fighter is blocking the barrage of another fighter, when a fighter is being overwhelmed, when a fighter is trying to open his opponent’s guard, or when a fighter is trying to tire out his or her opponent. I will not give an example of this technique for it is pretty self-explanatory. For the example of a grab, refer to the “Chain Break” example.
3. A “grab” is a free move. Because a grab is non-lethal, it is a free move. Refer to the “Chain Break” example. When Suzie grabbed Bob’s ankle, the grab was not the attack. The grab did not cause him harm. The grab instead held him in a position where she would have an advantage. A grab can be countered just like Bob’s kick was countered in Suzie’s post. A fighter can logically counter a grab with a grab of their own and get into this grab, counter-grab, hand battle. A grab will not be considered an attack, but it is considered a defensive move. It may seem like an auto-attack because the writer has to write their character successfully grabbing the other opponent in order for the next move to make sense, but it’s not an auto-attack.
4. Chaining Moves. Chaining or Combos are a very advanced form of fighting. When you create chains such as Defense-Attack-Attack or Defense-Defense-Attack or longer, you risk the opponent breaking that chain somewhere. However, it can also be used to your advantage because it forces the opponent to focus and pay attention to each of your character's movements in order to logically break the chain. The chain will either be successfully broken or the opponent will miss a detail and fail, causing the combo to succeed. A chain break doesn't always cause a consequence, but there can be a consequence. As you get more comfortable with text combat, feel free to try using combos. Sometimes it makes for a very epic fight.
5. The GM and Co-GMs will be judging the PVP matches. I do not care too much about PVE as I do PVP. I recommend players go into PM or our discord chat (if we decide to have one) and talk out the match prior to attempting it. If players cannot decide on a winner beforehand, then one will definitely be decided in game when they do a blind fight. A blind fight being when neither player knows who the winner will be. What the GM and Co-GMs decide is final. The GM is the main judge you have to win. The Co-GMs say one thing, but if the GM says something else then that will be a win or lose for you. Understand this rule. What the GM and Co-GM decide goes. If you do not think you will be able to agree with this ruling, then do not join this game. I do not tolerate drama.
Disclaimer: Power Level is a big deal in this game, and I know that some sub-races are unable to detect it without certain spells, programs, enhancements, etc. See Power Level as a ranking in this game to tell you how powerful a character is.
A power level system exists in this game. Power level can be increased as a cash-out after every PVP match, mini-boss/boss fight, and saga completion. It can also be increased in spars between characters. The largest cash-outs are for defeating Saga Bosses and winning tournaments. The power level system may become unfair to any player joining the game months-late or even a year-late. I reward longevity. The writers who enjoy this game, who join from the get-go, and who are in this game until it perishes with the GM or Co-GM who tries to pick it up in my absence, they deserve to be rewarded. There are too many players on this site who join games and then immediately bail from the game for random and mostly selfish reasons. If an IRL situation requires you to go absent, then you are always welcome back once the situation is resolved. If you leave the game because you joined too many games or you realize that the writing level of this game is more than you can handle, then these situations are easy to figure out before deciding to commit. Any who, long-story short, I reward veteran RPers. The writers who join this game now will have the strongest characters in the game in the long-run. Any new players who join months and years later will have to be mentored by the veterans in order to catch up.
In this game, every character will start at power level 910. As your power level increases, you will be able to acquire more slots for your character's techniques. If you are playing a magi, cyborg, android, mutant, etc. See these as program or ability slots.
Later as your character levels and receives their first “transformation” players will be able to customize a super form for themselves, which will be limited by a frequency per battle. If there are two battles within a Saga and you already used the transformation in the first battle, then you won't be able to use it in the second battle. That is what I mean by frequency.
For every 4,000 points a character’s power level is above another that character will seem invulnerable. To better clarify, if Player A’s Character is power level 1,000 and they are fighting Player B’s Character who is power level 5,000, then Player A better go find some help before he/she attempts to fight Player B. Player A would not be able to effectively solo Player B.
Feel free to utilize these two links for character sheet decoration. 1001fonts for fonts that you can right click, “Copy Image Link” (Google Chrome) and use an image code to stylize your sheet. You can use this link HTML Color Codes for color codes not offered on this website. Simply enter the code the same way it appears in a color code.
This is your character’s First Name and Last Name. You can also include a Nickname here. Example: Joseph “Joe” Bomer.
Not all characters have to have an alias. It’s just here for those characters who their writers feel would have one. Your character can always acquire one naturally in game.
Male, Female, or Agender.
What is your character's job? If they even have a job.
Any color of the rainbow. This is a fictional game after all. You can mention highlights here as well.
Any color of the rainbow. This is a fictional game after all.
Avoid posting pictures of famous anime characters. I do not want to see One Piece characters, Naruto, Bleach, Fist of the North Star, Jojo, etc. I recommend using OC art, drawing your own, or digital art. Real-life photography is not allowed. Also, you do not have to have a picture and it doesn’t have to specifically be in this exact spot in your character sheet. As long as the picture is sized down, you can post it anywhere in the sheet. (Feel free to use this website for picture modification pixlr.com/editor) Do not post a gigantic picture in your CS. I will ignore your CS.
This is a basic summary of your character’s day-to-day appearance. You can include clothing, tattoos, scars, accessories, hair style, etc.
Just a run-down of the personality: likes, dislikes, combat behavior, and if he, she, they have any goals.
The origin story. I want at least be 3 paragraphs.
Weapon & Techniques
This is an optional area. I’m sure most people will use their fists, but for those who want a weapon, you are free to have one. You must answer these questions: Length? Weight? Appearance (Visual or Written)? Anything special about it? How many rounds per magazine (only if applicable)?
910; everyone starts at this level. EVERYONE!
Any color of the rainbow except rainbow lol.
You are allowed Five Technique Slots at this time. With these technique slots, you can write whatever special move in here such as a Ki Projection Move. Whatever move signature to your character. More technique slots will be awarded by the GM based on scenario circumstances and character development. If you are role playing a sub-race, then spells (three spells not three different spells in one spell. Three spells), mutant ability (you can only pick one theme and then you must forever stay within that theme. Three abilities not three abilities in one. Three abilities.), upgrades, etc. would go here.
Character Sheet Code
[indent]This is your character’s First Name and Last Name. You can also include a Nickname here. Example: Joseph “Joe” Bomer.[/indent]
[indent]Not all characters have to have an alias. It’s just here for those characters who their writers feel would have one. Your character can always acquire one naturally in game.[/indent]
[indent]Male, Female, or Agender.[/indent]
[indent]What is your character's job? If they even have a job.[/indent]
[indent]4’0” – 6’4” (unless you can PM me and tell me why your character needs to be taller)[/indent]
[indent]Any color of the rainbow. This is a fictional game after all. You can mention highlights here as well.[/indent]
[indent]Any color of the rainbow. This is a fictional game after all.[/indent]
[indent]Avoid posting pictures of famous anime characters. I do not want to see One Piece characters, Naruto, Bleach, Fist of the North Star, Jojo, etc. I recommend using OC art, drawing your own, or digital art. Real-life photography is not allowed. [b]Also, you do not have to have a picture and it doesn’t have to specifically be in this exact spot in your character sheet. As long as the picture is sized down, you can post it anywhere in the sheet. (Feel free to use this website for picture modification pixlr.com/editor) Do not post a gigantic picture in your CS. I will ignore your CS.[/b][/indent]
[indent]This is a basic summary of your character’s day-to-day appearance. You can include clothing, tattoos, scars, accessories, hair style, etc.[/indent]
[indent]Just a run-down of the personality: likes, dislikes, combat behavior, and if he, she, they have any goals.[/indent]
[indent]The origin story. I want at least be 3 paragraphs.[/indent]
[center][h3]Weapon & Techniques[/h3][/center]
[indent]This is an optional area. I’m sure most people will use their fists, but for those who want a weapon, you are free to have one. You must answer these questions: Length? Weight? Appearance (Visual or Written)? Anything special about it? How many rounds per magazine (only if applicable)?[/indent]
[indent]910; everyone starts at this level. EVERYONE![/indent]
[indent]Any color of the rainbow except rainbow lol.[/indent]
[indent]You are allowed only Three Technique Slots at this time. With this technique slot, you can write whatever special move in here such as a Ki Projection Move. Whatever move signature to your character. More technique slots will be awarded by the GM based on scenario circumstances and character development. If you are role playing a sub-race, then spells (three spells not three different spells in one spell. Three spells), mutant ability (you can only pick one theme and then you must forever stay within that theme. Three abilities not three abilities in one. Three abilities.), upgrades, etc. would go here.[/indent]
1. Do not come to this game to argue. If you read over this recruitment thread, and saw something that you didn't like, then move on.
2. No Enormous Pics/No Neon or Dark Font Colors. There is nothing wrong about using pictures. It’s when you do not size the picture down that it becomes a problem. You can use websites like pixlr or imgur (google them) to size down your pictures before you post them. If you don’t feel like resizing them, then link them or put a hider around them. Avoid using neon colors. They do nothing but hurt the eyes and nobody wants to read neon-font. Avoid somber colors that blend into the already dark background of the site. I should not have to highlight your post in order to read it. It should just be visible to read.
3. Whatever the GM says goes. I try to be fair to the best of my ability. However, I do not try to please the world nor do I care to. If we discuss an issue and we can't seem to come to an agreement, then it is best that the issue be dropped. If you remain persistent and create drama in my game, you will be reported.
4. Read my Game. I did not write this for my health. I wrote this mostly for you than for me. The number one way to get on my shit list is to show me that you didn't read my game. The best way you do this is by frequently asking me questions that are answered in the damn OP. If I suspect you're not thoroughly reading this OP, then I'm going to stop caring and you're not going to be allowed in this game. Why would I allow a person in whose hand I would have to hold throughout the entire game because they don't want to read a freakin' text role play game on a text role play site?
5. GM questions. If you ask a question, mention me. If you're talking to me, mention me. If you want my attention mention me because that is what that button is for. If it looks like I ignored you, 99.9% of the time it is because you didn't mention me and I lost your comment or question in the OOC flood. Mention me. Mention me. Mention me. I have to repeat this because people don't do it.
6. Be open and friendly. I am very big on character interaction. It is often overlooked in games. Please collaborate with other writers in this game. This game will become way more interesting if you do.
7. Romance. I like romance. Some of us do. But if you plan on walking the borderline of the Guild rules, then take it into PMs.
8. Third-Person Past Tense. The only acceptable style of writing in this game is third-person past tense.
9. Have fun. There is only so much I can do as a GM. I cannot make you have fun. I cannot make you enjoy the character that you created. I cannot make you seek out writers to collaborate with. All I do is guide the game and make sure everything goes forward and not backwards. You have to do the rest. So please make the most of this game.
@Double@Slingshot@Weird Tales@The Abyss