Archer (Ignore the fact he has like twenty swords on him)Clan:
An older gentleman with a muscular build, standing 5’ 11” and weighing 200lbs. His long hair is often tied back in a knot at the back of his head and further held in place by a green headband bearing his families crest in gold; a stylised lion's head inside a circle. His strong features are marred by several scars, the largest of which reaching from the right side of his jaw all the way to his cheekbone, and weathered by age and the elements. His beard and hair both contain streaks of grey amidst the black, showing his age.
His plated armour is lacquered in green and also bears the lion crest of the Akiatsu clan and he wears a jade amulet in the shape of a lion’s head much like the crest; the rest of his armour and clothing, his gloves, plated gauntlets and trousers, follow a similar colour scheme. His black bow is bound with red and yellow fabric and the quiver on his back is filled with arrows fletched with white feathers.Weaknesses & Fears:
- Old injuries – Several scars mark Yamagata’s body. Some are old, some newer. Some are small, others large. A life of battle has had an effect on the old warrior however and the old injuries can ache and hinder him at times; especially the one on his left shoulder, hidden under his armour, where an arrow pieced him clean through.
- Age – Yamagata is arguably past the age where it would be wise for him to retire and leave fighting to younger, fitter men. Experience and wisdom can make up for a lot, but there is no denying that he is not as fast or as strong as he once was.
- Drowning – Once on a boat was enough for Yamagata to know that he never wanted to be out on the water ever again. Granted it was during a naval battle, which is hardly somewhere anyone wants to be, but the ship he was on broke apart under his feet and he was nearly dragged down to the depths by the wreckage. He has feared deep water ever since.
- Gurīnraion Amulet – A jade amulet in the shape of a lion’s head; this worn and faded trinket has been passed down through the Akiatsu family for generations and is the basis for the families crest. The amulet glows with a pale green light when a living creature approaches before fading after a few seconds, i.e. the amulet does not react to the wearer or creatures that are already present, only responding when a living creature crosses an invisible boundary of thirty feet around the amulet.
- Suzume no hikō Arrow – An arrow with an ornate jade arrowhead. When active the arrowhead and the first two inches of the shaft flow with a pale green light; on being fired, the arrow will seek out the archers target unerringly, following them and even flying around obstacles to hit them. On finding the target the arrow will disappear from its currently position and reappear in the archers quiver.
- Short bow – A western styled symmetrical bow. As a scout and woodsman, Yamagata does not use the large and oftentimes unwieldy Yumi, or traditional Japanese bow, opting instead for a smaller short bow.
- Tanto – A straight Japanese short sword; with a blade measuring a foot long, with a straight blade, Yamagata’s Tanto is longer than most.
The current head and last surviving male of the Akiatsu clan, Yamagata will likely be the last member of his clan when he dies. A once great and powerful family, the Akiatsu have been in a slow decline for decades even before the war that wiped out many of the lands minor clans; their numbers slowly dwindling, their wealth ill spent and their reputation lost to history.
By the time the war began only a dozen or so members of the clan remained. They had nothing to gain to taking part in the fighting and a single battle could have wiped them out forever, but they marched into battle nonetheless, siding themselves with the Asagao clan due to an old alliance dating back to before any living person can remember. The warriors of the Akiastu fought well and fought bravely and many gave their lives in battles fought for the benefit of the Asagao clan. And then, when the Asagao clan surrendered, they fought for the Lotus clan instead.
When the fighting came to an end and a new Shogun put in place, only Yamagata and his father were left of the once great Akiatsu clan.