The Bakumatsu started with the arrival of Commodore Matthew C. Perry's black ships to Japan on July 8, 1853. Perry's objective was to incite Japan, through force if necessary, to open its borders to trade with the United States of America. In reaction to the arrival of those black ships which would end a 220 years isolationist policy, the country was divided. The pro-imperialist Ishin Shishi (nationalist patriots) fought to return political power to the Emperor of Japan, while the shogunate forces, including the elite Shinsengumi (newly selected corps) swordsmen, fought for the Tokugawa shogunate to keep its position. The country is currently embroiled with the Boshin Wars which is taring apart the men, and women of the country of Japan. Tokugawa Yoshinobu, the current head of the Tokugawa Shogunate has to prepare itself as citizens rush towards the aid of the Imperial Court assisting Prince Komatsu, and others in their attempts to overthrow the current government. With Kyoto burning in near constant warfare as assassins, and samurai rise up. Corruption in, and outside the court due to purges, and reckless officials forced the creation of a new group. The Shinsengumi, a police force made up of highly skilled samurai, and former Ronin.
With the details of the Satcho Alliance ironed out it is clear was is inevitable with the enemy being assisted by the British the task before the Shinsengumi is to stabilize the nation as much as possible...less their Empire burn, and their Emperor overthrown. Will the Meiji succeed, or will the proud Samurai reign supreme.
1. All Standard roleplay rules are in effect.
2. I am allowed to decline something, or reject it for any reason.
3. Certain styles such as Kenshin's own are not allowed for sake of continuity and balance.
4. No character is to be on the tier of Kenshin's master everyone must be a skilled samurai of some sort renown, or skill but not utterly above everyone else until the rp develops further.
5. Foreigners are not allowed unless discussed.
6. Ninja may be considered but the Shinsengumi are traditionally samurai.
Appearance: (Written, or picture)