⊕ E A R T H G O N E ⊘
A Space NRP with Tentacles!
It is 2253. The solar system has been colonized. Humanity has spread to live in everything from cities floating in Venus' atmosphere to towns hugging the hydrocarbon lakes of Titan. Small mining outfits dot the thin asteroid belt; research stations float in solar orbit, and exploration ships push the boundaries of the Oort cloud.
Despite centuries of half-joking effort, nobody has cracked the secret of faster-than-light travel. 100 years ago, the Tilson Expedition embarked on a massive generation ship sent toward a star likely to have an Earth-like world. Their penultimate transmission revealed that there was no habitable world orbiting their destination, and they had altered course toward the beta site.
Nations, both new and old, vie for space in the solar system. Earth - the only planet with air we can actually breathe; air that's sitting there, for free, was constantly mired with infighting right up to the day it disappeared.
Observation telescopes reveal the Earth was there one day, and gone the next. It simply vanished.
Luna, after some unusual wobbling, continued along in the Earth's former orbit.
Now the many nations of humanity sit with limited vital resources, with tensions mounting and a deepening economic crisis. Water is difficult to come by. Oxygen is difficult to come by. Food is difficult to come by.
Some megacorps are making a killing, entire moons have declared independence, and remnant Earth-bound nations are scrambling to find out what happened.
Social media has adopted the term "Earthgone" to describe the situation.
Then the ultimate transmission from the Tilson Expedition came:
Tilson Expedition to anyone who can hear this. Monsters are out here, and they're coming your way. They found us - tracked us down like a deer. They toyed with us, took their time, extracted memories and our [transmission interrupt - reacquiring] -rnings in fiction; stories like interminable grating noises that never stop, seeping behind your eyes, in your thoughts, intruding like gnats in your ears, never-ending [transmission interrupt - reacquiring] Listen. Whoever you are, you can't let them live. Beware the ones who bleed. It's the first sign of the second coming and judgment day, when God is triumphant hand-in-hand with the devil whose BANG!
The transmission has continued unabated - not static, but silence.
Earth is gone. Will humanity be next?
What is This?:
This is an NRP set in the Solar System. You will play as a nation, corporation, or other solar entity struggling with the revelation that there are cosmic horrors in the universe, and they're coming this way. I will play as cosmic horrors in the universe, and I'm coming your way.
There is no plot beyond the ones we create. You can play as a corporation which has whole-heartedly gone for human sacrifice. Or perhaps you'd prefer cultists finally seeing the light of day? An innocent, standard, hard sci-fi nation trying to talk some damn sense back into the solar system? Or a fractured state looking for answers, because, damnit, magic is not a thing and Cthulhu can't exist. It's up to you!
We here in the NRP section love to worldbuild. So, that's what this RP is designed to facilitate.
The year is 2253. Humanity has colonized the solar system. Technology is "near-future"; that is, there is no faster-than-light, and there is no ...obvious, visible... magic. Yet. Who knows? That's up to us! Impossible, insanity-driving things ate our first intersolar generation ship! Anything can happen now! Up might be down! Blue could be orange! Cats and dogs, living together in harmony!
It's mostly-hard Sci-Fi slamming into Cosmic Horror.
Beyond this section, the entire history of the solar system (and everything) is up to the players. Here's what's happened so far:
0. Present-day history up to 2019 takes place in the foreground.
1. Humanity colonizes the majority of the solar system. Which parts? That's up to us.
2. Earth does not unite. Nations still cover different parts of the surface. Some have colonies on other planets/moons, others do not.
3. Some planets/moons are independent of Earth.
4. Earth is a very valuable planet, as it is the only one with "free" air and water and food.
5. A generation ship is sent to look for habitable exoplanets. This is the Tilson Expedition.
6. The Tilson Expedition has to reroute to the beta site, as close-range spectrometry reveals the alpha site doesn't have a habitable planet.
7. Something horrifying happens to the Tilson Expedition, revealed to the entire Solar System in their last, disturbing, transmission.
8. Earth just up and disappears one day in an event known as "Earthgone". The moon is mostly fine, though.
0. Standard Guild Site Rules
1. Don't break the game.
-This includes taking any issues you might have with another player into PM's.
-This also includes obvious NRP/RP best practices, like do use decent grammar, don't godmod, don't have a Mary Sue, etc.
2. Anything weird and/or not covered by rules 0-1 will be dealt with by me.
How to apply:
1. Fill out the nation sheet below, posting in the OOC tab.
2. Upon acceptance, post it in the Characters tab.
The following fields are required:
[u]Name of Nation:[/u]
The following fields are entirely optional! Invent your own if you want/need to, or ignore as many as you'd like. It's your nation sheet!
[u]Major Character Bios:[/u]
[u]Most Common Topiary:[/u]